Any suggestions on a good RPG to play for the switch? I already have Fire Emblem and Zelda.

I was thinking about Divinity Original Sin 2 or Dragon Quest 11 but didn't know if anything else is out there I should check out first!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I mean okay so if you were good at pokemon games you didn't even need to buy things like escape rope because you just naturally picked up more than you'd ever need and money never really mattered. However in the first gen you could get worked by the elite four or whatever just because you didn't actually stop and train up ever. Later games, especially the new ones, are just under leveled relative to your exp gain and you can kinda just progress through the game without pause. There are other things too like the second time around at the elite four in the leaf green/fire red or the gold/silver remakes that are just significantly harder than new things. Stuff like Lance having a lvl 75 dragonite doesn't happen too often in the newer games even though if you look at how fast it is to level up now it should probably start in that level range at the end of the game
    The battle to unlock Battle Tree in Sun/Moon was against Red/Blue's ~Lv.70 teams and that was one Gen ago.

I've said it before in this thread but I vehemently disagree that needing to grind levels makes a game hard. There is no difficulty in the battles you fight to grind levels, and once you have your level there is no difficulty in the Gym Leader battle. It's slower and grindier, sure, but it's not harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tikishock View Post
    Any suggestions on a good RPG to play for the switch? I already have Fire Emblem and Zelda.

I was thinking about Divinity Original Sin 2 or Dragon Quest 11 but didn't know if anything else is out there I should check out first!
    Octopath Traveler 100%. DivOS2 is a fun game on PC but I haven't played the switch port to know if the controls work well enough - I can see it being clunky (it's very Baldur's Gate-y).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Ys VIII, though I've heard mixed opinions about the Switch port.

15+ Year Old Account
    Leon was a pretty big difficulty spike, especially if you dont have a dark type /shrug

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a great one if you havent played. Also DQ11 is pretty fun

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Leon was a pretty big difficulty spike, especially if you dont have a dark type /shrug
    tfw Leon had more dragons than Raihan. Grimmsnarl was champ though during Leon fight

woo finally got some dragapults. about 10 lmao

7+ Year Old Account
    Leon was a welcome fight.

Getting to punch a Charizard is a nice bonus these days
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    The battle to unlock Battle Tree in Sun/Moon was against Red/Blue's ~Lv.70 teams and that was one Gen ago.

I've said it before in this thread but I vehemently disagree that needing to grind levels makes a game hard. There is no difficulty in the battles you fight to grind levels, and once you have your level there is no difficulty in the Gym Leader battle. It's slower and grindier, sure, but it's not harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Octopath Traveler 100%. DivOS2 is a fun game on PC but I haven't played the switch port to know if the controls work well enough - I can see it being clunky (it's very Baldur's Gate-y).
    I think the big thing you aren't really addressing is that your level relative to where you are in the game doesn't automatically equal a need to grind to catch up if you're weaker than you are in more recent games. Maybe if you just have no idea what to do it could result in that but it can also just as easily mean just using a basic strategy that otherwise isn't relevant if you're too strong relative to where you are in the game.

As for an actual difficulty setting they totally could do that but it would be a very different experience. There are quite a lot of combinations of moves/effects that have synergy and you could tailor gyms/available pokemon to encourage a variety of approaches. The problem is that people who have never taken a peek at competitive pvp teams would probably just get trashed and give up if they didn't know what they were getting into. It would make a really cool new game+ mode though imo
    Last edited by Erolian; 2019-11-21 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    At least read it if you're gonna reply to it. Go read anywhere about the game, everyone talking about not grinding at all and by the final gyms being 10 levels above.. But what's worse is how the trainers have lower level Pokemon than the average wild Pokémon in the area, even rivals.

Try reading what I said again then.

I'm playing the game normally, not "avoiding" anything, and my Pokemon are at the exact levels about as the gym.

Hell, the fairy gym leader KOed 3 of my Pokemon, granted one was a mishap of forgetting I shouldn't send out Sirfetch'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Someone didn't play the first three gens.
    Do you mean like Red and Yellow which I finished at age of 8 without even being able to read English?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    Every gen has at least one hard part

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone didn't play the first three gens.
    They're pretty easy too. They're hard if you're a child and don't understand how the game works, but so will the new games be.

I played red, yellow, and gold before I could speak English, just mashing whatever move on whatever pokemon, and "died" like.. Twice? I think? In the whole 3 games (And no, none of them was Brock in yellow, I remember doing him quite easily)

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    They're pretty easy too. They're hard if you're a child and don't understand how the game works, but so will the new games be.

I played red, yellow, and gold before I could speak English, just mashing whatever move on whatever pokemon, and "died" like.. Twice? I think? In the whole 3 games (And no, none of them was Brock in yellow, I remember doing him quite easily)
    Doesnt the anime teach kids about the weaknesses of pokemon?
    Even for a kid, thats pretty easy...and thats all there is to pokemon.

Pokemon is perfect for kids.

8 year old...im not sure about that age...but 12 year old? Im 100% sure a 12 year is able to be a master at pokemon. rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    I remember Pikachu KOing Onix with a thunderbolt.

Electric beats rock, right?

LOL, i forget the anime was weird.

But i remember going into the game knowing the weaknesses already.

Maybe it was the Card Game?

10+ Year Old Account

Leopard and snashel are worse tho.

10+ Year Old Account

8 year old...im not sure about that age...but 12 year old? Im 100% sure a 12 year is able to be a master at pokemon. rofl
    Ash is 10, so one would assume their target audience is a bit younger so they can look up to him

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Every gen has at least one hard part
    /Vietnam flashbacks to Whitney and Miltank.

Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Try reading what I said again then.

I'm playing the game normally, not "avoiding" anything, and my Pokemon are at the exact levels about as the gym.

Hell, the fairy gym leader KOed 3 of my Pokemon, granted one was a mishap of forgetting I shouldn't send out Sirfetch'd.
    Good luck when you actually reach the champion then, you're going to be under levelled by something like 10 levels. The game is balanced to have you overlevel and roflstomp the entire thing aside from the champion, who will be above you if you don't grind.

By time you're 12 you can be pretty kickass at games, my 12 year old self would kick my current selfs ass at Pokemon, by default of being obsessed with the game back then. I used to play Pokemon Gold Japanese version of the game on emulators with the half fan translation, because the game wasn't due out for another 2 years in the UK.

My 7 year old nephew has completed New Super Mario Bros on Wii and plays it with ease, people underestimate kids... Especially kids these days growing up with Ipads, they can navigate youtube before they are 2.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2019-11-21 at 12:56 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4