Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's actually a genius move when you think about it. It pretty much urges consumers to buy in while the games are available, meaning they are gonna make a crap load of money for low investment ports.
    It's not genius at all, people already buy Nintendo games in droves early because they almost never go on sale anyways so little point in waiting. Look at games like SMO and BoTW still charting to this day, this game won't be able to be sold to probably 40+ million Switch owners that will buy a Switch after they stop selling it. Which means those owners can only get it from the second hand market which Nintendo doesn't see a dime of. They are leaving money on the table for some dumb reason.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-09-03 at 06:56 PM.

On one hand you bet your ass i want to play Sunshine and Galaxy again so ordered that but on't tuther boy what a shitty 6 month time limiting move you know is going to make this scalper b8.

Watch this be the Zelda collectors edition from the Gamecube all over again a few years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Hate if you want to, but I already pre-ordered All Stars and MK Live.
    It certainly wasn't going to stop me from buying all stars but it's a dumb move regardless. It was a day 1 purchase for me either way with a proper HD sunshine port(would of paid $60 just for this).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know it's not like there's a global pandemic that has resulted in many people losing their jobs and struggling financially right now. Which could potentially prevent them from buying this game in the near future. But yeah fuck them let's limit it to 6 months anyways.

What an unbelievably stupid and tone deaf move.

Why the fuck isn't Mario Galaxy 2 included? The game didn't even get a mention during the presentation. Also, why the arbitrary FOMO?
    This compilation is pure scalper baiting trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    Why the fuck isn't Mario Galaxy 2 included? The game didn't even get a mention during the presentation. Also, why the arbitrary FOMO?
    This compilation is pure scalper baiting trash.
    Eh, it's not purely scalper bait I'd say.

I'm sure the reason is as simple as they want to be able to double dip on it again at some point for the next console.

It's really stupid, but worst comes to worst anyone can grab it digitally at least. I'm shooting for physical though myself.

And to be clear, I don't agree with them making it a limited run at all. It's in bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's really stupid, but worst comes to worst anyone can grab it digitally at least.
    You can't though... Anyone who buys a Switch after march of next year can't buy it digitally because it will be delisted. That is the entire point of how stupid it is. Wanting the physical release to be limited is one thing, but stopping the sale of the digital version makes it beyond stupid.

So people are getting mad that a limited edition of something is actually limited edition?
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You can't though... Anyone who buys a Switch after march of next year can't buy it digitally because it will be delisted. That is the entire point of how stupid it is. Wanting the physical release to be limited is one thing, but stopping the sale of the digital version makes it beyond stupid.
    A bit of a nitpick there.

Of course no one can get it after the run.
    But anyone can get it during the run.

Yes, non Switch holders will be screwed over, but thats a different story as the point was anyone looking to get it with a Switch right now.

Yes, Non-Switch holders will be screwed over, but thats a different story as the point was anyone looking to get it with a Switch right now.
    None Switch owners and people who may be fucked by Covid can't get it right now.

There is a ton of reasons why peoples income is low right now. Doing this as a limited release is just anti-consumer and actually pro scalper.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    So people are getting mad that a limited edition of something is actually limited edition?
    No, people are saying there is no point to a limited digital release. Big difference. You really gonna go show off your "limited edition" digital copy? looooooooooooooool. Wanting the physical version to be limited to w/e they make is one thing, limiting digital edition makes no sense at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, non Switch holders will be screwed over, but thats a different story as the point was anyone looking to get it with a Switch right now.
    Anyone can get the physical version during it's run too, preorders have been up for hours with no signs of selling out or it looking like it's actually that limited at all.

There is literally 0 point in delisting the digital version after march. Stop producing the physical version is one thing, and has reasons behind it. The digital version is just a dumb decision both for consumers and Nintendo's revenue.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-09-04 at 12:10 AM.

Nintendo big wigs wanna catch up to Bobby Kotick. Dat forced scarcity is great for exploiting your consumer base and great for the bank account.

Pandemic be damned! Sushi is getting expensive in Japan gotta pay for it somehow
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bought 2 so i can flip one in a few years :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    None Switch owners and people who may be fucked by Covid can't get it right now.

There is a ton of reasons why peoples income is low right now. Doing this as a limited release is just anti-consumer and actually pro scalper.
    COVID by itself doesn't have much effect on the ability to purchase it when you can buy it off of Amazon or digitally though.

In regards to people struggling with money due to COVID, sure. But I'm pretty sure they have bigger fish to fry in that regard.

Anyone can get the physical version during it's run too, preorders have been up for hours with no signs of selling out or it looking like it's actually that limited at all.

There is literally 0 point in delisting the digital version after march. Stop producing the physical version is one thing, and has reasons behind it. The digital version is just a dumb decision both for consumers and Nintendo's revenue.
    In which I'm not disagreeing.
    Like I said, I'd be willing to bet that this is literally just to keep it scarce for future usage.
    Like how they keep pulling Wii u stuff down as they release the Switch version, this is just happening earlier rather than later.

And for another gripe, they're doing it with Super Battle Royalio too. It only goes from October to March. I'd say maybe it's a novelty thing, but Tetris 99 is still going strong

Also nintendo being nintendo no amount of negative publicity on the matter will make them back down.

Im actually curious have nintendo ever annouced something then did a 180 on the matter because of overwhelming public negativity ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    People thinking this is in any way about making more money for Nintendo need to stop and think it through.
    Its always about making money. Thats why businesses exist.

Perhaps they needed a bump for that quarter to meet targets. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Its always about making money. Thats why businesses exist.

Perhaps they needed a bump for that quarter to meet targets. Who knows.
    There is absolutely no way this is about needing a "bump".

The Switch has been flying off the shelves since quarantine started. And this isn't something that just gets slapped together for a quick bump.

There is absolutely no way this is about needing a "bump".

The Switch has been flying off the shelves since quarantine started. And this isn't something that just gets slapped together for a quick bump.
    yea but if they stagger limited releases over the year(s) it provides more consistent/reliable cash flow and makes it easier to invest in other areas

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    yea but if they stagger limited releases over the year(s) it provides more consistent/reliable cash flow and makes it easier to invest in other areas
    There are lots of people who won't even be able to buy a switch before this game is gone because demand currently far out weighs supply even with Nintendo making Switch's at a far higher pace then they ever had.

The Switch might actually get close to 30 million units sold for this FY which is absolutely bananas, to put into perspective the PS4 never got close to 30 mil in a FY only the DS and Wii have ever done that.

It makes no sense, and Nintendo is leaving money on the table not the opposite and earning money because of this. There are going to be 10s of millions of Switch owners who won't be able to buy this game from Nintendo because they didn't even own a Switch during the limited window. No this is absolutely not about money or Nintendo wouldn't be doing this. It's just them intentionally limiting their software, which they always do to a certain degree but not this far usually.

Hell after the collection is over selling Sunshine and Galaxy for $50 each(same prices WWHD/TPHD sold for) on the eshop and SM64 for $20 would be a dick move to, but still be better and make more financial sense then what it currently looks like lol. Having those games only accessible from 3rd party sellers after a limited time period makes Nintendo $0 money and actually loses them potential buyers and money.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-09-04 at 02:57 AM.

Hell after the collection is over selling Sunshine and Galaxy for $50 each(same prices WWHD/TPHD sold for) on the eshop and SM64 for $20 would be a dick move to, but still be better and make more financial sense then what it currently looks like lol. Having those games only accessible from 3rd party sellers after a limited time period makes Nintendo $0 money and actually loses them potential buyers and money.
    As regards to the success of the sales of the switch, that is fine but its not like businesses think "thats enough money for today!", they'll vacuum every cent of profit they can.

Could they make more money long term by releasing the games as normal and future switch users that might miss out will be able to buy it? Possibly. But I always believe more in target market research, they are a mega successful company for a reason because they have a good understanding of their buying consumers.

Theres clearly a reason they put so much value into forced scarcity, and this idea you need to buy games day 1 because you might miss out, or the cost of the game will never decrease only potentially increase why not buy every game day 1 clearly works great for them with their consumers.