Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    With the billions and billions of revenue that Nintendo and Game Freak rake in, they could afford to high world class programmers to make them the engines they need.
    Billion dollar companies making their own engine can go either way. Great(Rockstar) or terrible(square enix). Game Freak making a new engine on their own, yea dawg I'm gonna pass on that seeing as their technical prowess is already incredibly questionable.

Nintendo's internal engines and tech isn't a problem. Both are great so it's time to stop brining Nintendo into what is clearly a game freak issue. Sure Nintendo could just tell game freak to piss off and put someone else on Pokemon but they won't cause this is Japan and the games still sell like sliced bread.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-09-29 at 10:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    With the billions and billions of revenue that Nintendo and Game Freak rake in, they could afford to high world class programmers to make them the engines they need.
    While true, they are just bad devs. Little down hero sold 12 copies on steam. 12. 12. 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    While true, they are just bad devs. Little down hero sold 12 copies on steam. 12. 12. 12.
    Wait, what?! Now that's... really sad.
    How much did it sell overall? Did they even have even something that was even remotely successfull that wasn't Pokemon? If they hadn't made Pokemon, they would've already be long, long gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    If they hadn't made Pokemon, they would've already be long, long gone...
    Bingo. Game Freak got lucky that one game they made was a black swan, a smash hit on an unprecedented level. They won the jackpot, the golden keys to the most popular franchise in the world. They're set for life and can rake in untold amounts of money by hardly doing anything more than puking out a game once every 3 years with 100 new designs and calling it the day.

The programming flaws of Sun/Moon and SwSh are well known, but if you go to the ROMhack community or the Pokemon history community, it quickly becomes apparent just how amateurish the programming of all of the Pokemon games have been, even as far back as gen 1.

- - - Updated - - -

I do feel bad for the guys that worked on Little Town Hero; people only care about the Pokemon name, not Game Freak's games. But if Game Freak could deliver actually good games (rather than just the idea of Pokemon), then people would be more inclined to buy their other stuff. It would be quite nice to see if Game Freak actually tried to become decent devs and build up a reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...istent-console

Mochizuki back at it again with the quadruple down! Keep throwing the shit at the wall eventually it will stick. Doesn't make you any less of a hack. How is bloomberg still employing this clown.
    https://twitter.com/NintendoCoLtd/st...66440183074819

Oooph, bloomberg fire this hack if you want to keep any credibility in the gaming industry. He is making an absolute fool of himself at this point. Sony and Nintendo have both publicly clowned his claims and sources now, just need him to report something stupid about MS for the trifecta? Waiting on that bloomberg?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-09-30 at 12:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Oooph, bloomberg fire this hack if you want to keep any credibility in the gaming industry. He is making an absolute fool of himself at this point. Sony and Nintendo have both publicly clowned his claims and sources now, just need him to report something stupid about MS for the trifecta? Waiting on that bloomberg?

Not really, Nintendo right now can't publicly acknowledge a new upcoming Switch without really really hurting there new OLED model sales, if you thought that Nintendo is testing a new Switch model I can guarantee you that allot less people would be buying the new Switch. Personally I think releasing a modest refresh now like the OLED device makes more sense sales wise then a new device however the those sales will probably dry up within a year and releasing the next gen Switch within a year or two would kind of make sense.

Normally a public company can't just go lie when they can influence the value of the company but there are ways around that probably, for example that it's just a prototype and the purpose is to test the waters and but avoid a hype that could hurt the value of the company in case if the prototype does not meet expectations.

See it like this all those rumours of Apple and the new Iphone which 9 out of 10 times turns out to be false are also most likely prototypes devices of Apple trying new things. Except if apple acknowledged that the next Iphone could turn metal into gold (a small exaggeration) the value of the company will shoot through the roof while the technology itself may not be ready yet for the next year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Not really, Nintendo right now can't publicly acknowledge a new upcoming Switch without really really hurting there new OLED model sales, if you thought that Nintendo is testing a new Switch model I can guarantee you that allot less people would be buying the new Switch. Personally I think releasing a modest refresh now like the OLED device makes more sense sales wise then a new device however the those sales will probably dry up within a year and releasing the next gen Switch within a year or two would kind of make sense.

Normally a public company can't just go lie when they can influence the value of the company but there are ways around that probably, for example that it's just a prototype and the purpose is to test the waters and but avoid a hype that could hurt the value of the company in case if the prototype does not meet expectations.

See it like this all those rumours of Apple and the new Iphone which 9 out of 10 times turns out to be false are also most likely prototypes devices of Apple trying new things. Except if apple acknowledged that the next Iphone could turn metal into gold (a small exaggeration) the value of the company will shoot through the roof while the technology itself may not be ready yet for the next year or two.
    Oh gtfo with this shit. This is not Nintendo saying "we have no plans to announce new hardware". This is their investor account saying the claims they have dev kits out there is false. It would be a massive legal issue if it was a lie.

People are always on that copium when this guy has been wrong about PS5 production, Switch Pro 2 different times and even claimed some bullshit about square enix trying to sell off the company which they had to immediately refute. Time to call a spade a spade and stop inhaling copium that his bullshit rumors are true.

Oh gtfo with this shit. This is not Nintendo saying "we have no plans to announce new hardware". This is their investor account saying the claims they have dev kits out there is false. It would be a massive legal issue if it was a lie.

People are always on that copium when this guy has been wrong about PS5 production, Switch Pro 2 different times and even claimed some bullshit about square enix trying to sell off the company which they had to immediately refute. Time to call a spade a spade and stop inhaling copium that his bullshit rumors are true.
    No, it would not be a massive legal issue if a prototype tool was not publicly acknowledged, there are ways around that. So maybe get the fuck out yourself and think before you start attacking somebody else?

Nintendo does not want any new version of the Switch to to cannibalize sales of current sales so whatever tools they provide probably has a NDA based on the fact that that the final device is not yet finished.
    Second, if would be absurd if Nintendo had no device planned or the basic software tools ready at this point for developers to test and play around a bit, to have a peak. These tools Nintendo, sony and microsoft provide take years to develop.

Unless you lot believe that Bloomberg starts making up 11 different sources and the editors risk lawsuits that could destroy the company, most news companies aren't Breitbart or Fox news that have a single source that lies.

No, it would not be a massive legal issue if a prototype tool was not publicly acknowledged, there are ways around that. So maybe get the fuck out yourself and think before you start attacking somebody else?

Nintendo does not want any new version of the Switch to to cannibalize sales of current sales so whatever tools they provide probably has a NDA based on the fact that that the final device is not yet finished.
    Second, if would be absurd if Nintendo had no device planned or the basic software tools ready at this point for developers to test and play around a bit, to have a peak. These tools Nintendo, sony and microsoft provide take years to develop.

Unless you lot believe that Bloomberg starts making up 11 different sources and the editors risk lawsuits that could destroy the company, most news companies aren't Breitbart or Fox news that have a single source that lies.
    Nintendo said to investors that they are not making a 4K Switch model.

You can't lie about shit like that to investors, no matter how much you want to sell a minor hardware refresh. Not unless you want to get sued to hell and back for lying to investors.

Oh right. Lets believe the guy who has been wrong time and time again about multiple different gaming companies and is a joke at this point instead of a Nintendo investor account. Keep inhaling that copium.

Again this is not the blanket statement Nintendo would give the press about "no plans to announce new hardware". Straight up investor account saying those dev kits don't exist. You think Nintendo is lying? Hilarious.

Switch Pro exists, just like PS5 had to cut it's production in half(in reality been produced faster then PS4 launch aligned), just like square enix is trying to sell off their company(immediately refuted by square which wouldn't be legally possible if they actually where fielding offers). Yea man this bloomberg reporter sure is credible.... /s
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-09-30 at 12:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think SMO and BoTW are bad comparisons because the mario team has always been wizards that punch above their weight and BoTW has both Nintendo EAD and Monolith making it so double the dev power.

But still, game freak is quite embarrassing when you consider what smaller teams get out of the Switch. Luigi's Mansion 3 might be the best looking game on the system and was made by a smaller dev team then any Pokemon game. A lot less to model here so not a fair comparison directly but when you consider just how good it looks why can't GF do better?

Then I also think about the Ryza games, made by Gust who has a way smaller budget then game freak but a similar release schedule with near yearly games. Those Ryza games on the Switch look better then the Pokemon games do, while having to be massively scaled down from the PS4/PC versions to boot.

Management at game freak has to be complete shit for them to get so little out of their games graphically while having nearly 200 employees. Either that or maybe their internal engine blows and they should switch to Unreal? No clue.
    I mainly compared them because Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo's biggest franchises. Obviously, Pokemon Company owns Pokemon so it's not entirely under Nintendo's control what they do with the games, but considering how much money Pokemon makes and how many copies they sell, you'd think they'd throw enough money to at least make the games on par with the rest of the AAA industry instead of significantly behind. I will admit that Nintendo does seem to do some wizardry with Mario and Zelda, so expecting that level of quality is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I mean Temtem, the indie Pokemon clone, looks better than Sw/Sh and has tons of features that people have been asking for from Game Freak for like a decade. Like for all the shit people give Call of Duty, you definitely can't say that a team of 10 people could put out a game on par with or even better than whatever the latest CoD is. But yeah, from what I've heard apparently their engine is shit. I don't know how true that is, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Not really. Most of their main internal development teams are actually very good, but they are also victims of their own weaknesses as well. And their weaknesses come from the pace at which they release their big name IP's and how much time they put into the QA side of their game development. How many Nintendo developed games can you name over their history that needed day one patches to fix some massive fuck up that they ignored? How many game breaking bugs have ever shipped with their games? I can't name any off the top of my head. Sure, a lot of their games aren't particularly great, the Mario sports games and Mario Party have been half ass efforts for years. But their signature games? All exceptionally well polished.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2021-09-30 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Not really. Most of their main internal development teams are actually very good, but they are also victims of their own weaknesses as well. And their weaknesses come from the pace at which they release their big name IP's and how much time they put into the QA side of their game development. How many Nintendo developed games can you name over their history that needed day one patches to fix some massive fuck up that they ignored? How many game breaking bugs have ever shipped with their games? I can't name any off the top of my head. Sure, a lot of their games aren't particularly great, the Mario sports games and Mario Party have been half ass efforts for years.
    I'm fairly sure Video Games meant that Game Freak was a bad developer, not Nintendo.

Nobody says Nintendo is a bad developer except anti-Nintendo fanboys. They may not like their decisions on many games, and may not even like the games, but it's like saying Porsche is bad because I don't like small cars or something. Forgive that example, but just first one I thought up. I really have never driven a Porsche, just know their rep for quality cars. I'm pretty sure many of them are not even small, but that is part of the example. Saying Nintendo is a bad developer shows a basic misunderstanding of what makes a developer good.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-09-30 at 08:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo: "We don't have plans for anything other than the OLED model"
    Forum goers: "Haha! This is the exact proof that they're hiding development on a new GTX 3069 powered, 8K switch!!"

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm fairly sure Video Games meant that Game Freak was a bad developer, not Nintendo.

Nobody says Nintendo is a bad developer except anti-Nintendo fanboys. They may not like their decisions on many games, and may not even like the games, but it's like saying Porsche is bad because I don't like small cars or something. Forgive that example, but just first one I thought up. I really have never driven a Porsche, just know their rep for quality cars. I'm pretty sure many of them are not even small, but that is part of the example. Saying Nintendo is a bad developer shows a basic misunderstanding of what makes a developer good.
    The Pokemon formula is nothing to run home about, but it doesn't make them bad, necessarily.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Most of their main internal development teams are actually very good, but they are also victims of their own weaknesses as well. And their weaknesses come from the pace at which they release their big name IP's and how much time they put into the QA side of their game development. How many Nintendo developed games can you name over their history that needed day one patches to fix some massive fuck up that they ignored? How many game breaking bugs have ever shipped with their games? I can't name any off the top of my head. Sure, a lot of their games aren't particularly great, the Mario sports games and Mario Party have been half ass efforts for years. But their signature games? All exceptionally well polished.
    Gamefreak are terrible devs, it's not just boogermen. Little town hero was a mess and the highlight of the game was it had toby fox music in it, lol.

The Pokemon formula is nothing to run home about, but it doesn't make them bad, necessarily.
    Unfortunately, I haven't played very many of their games, so I'm not the best judge. They are very successful if nothing else, so somebody out there likes it, lol.

Except when they botched the execution of the formula 3 generations in a row.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't played very many of their games, so I'm not the best judge. They are very successful if nothing else, so somebody out there likes it, lol.
    People like the idea of Pokemon, not the nu-Game Freak game. The popularity of the franchise as a whole - stuff not made by Game Freak - and the lack of popularity of Game Freak's non-Pokemon games speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I mainly compared them because Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo's biggest franchises. Obviously, Pokemon Company owns Pokemon so it's not entirely under Nintendo's control what they do with the games, but considering how much money Pokemon makes and how many copies they sell, you'd think they'd throw enough money to at least make the games on par with the rest of the AAA industry instead of significantly behind. I will admit that Nintendo does seem to do some wizardry with Mario and Zelda, so expecting that level of quality is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Game Freak simply lacks the necessary talent for making good games. They have some great artists, the character and Pokémon designs have been phenomenal for past few gens, but their actual developers are dogshit.