15+ Year Old Account
    Eh. Id really like a 3d mario at the very least

We're due for a 3D mario but Nintendo might sit on it until new gen launch.

Anyways if Bayo 3 can make October Nintendo probably sits with that lineup of XC3, AW, FEH, Splatoon 3, Bayo3 and Pokemon there would be no need to further crowd it. If Bayo 3 can't make it they probably push some remaster they are sitting on into it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-05-05 at 04:50 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we'll get one till next year if we do, but it would be nice If we got it this year. I could see it coming out late next year as a switch 2 launch title. I still don't really believe that donkey kong rumor but I guess we'll see next month.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2022-05-05 at 05:12 AM.

Why is the affordability of Nintendo's consoles seen as a good thing? Haven't you ever heard the saying, "you get what you pay for"?

Bets on a new 3D Mario being Super Mario Odyssey 2?

Although probably a pretty boring and safe bet, since Galaxy got a sequel and Odyssey, unless these sources are wrong, sold over twice as much as Galaxy.

Would love to see an improved Odyssey that incorporates the design of Bowser's Fury honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Although probably a pretty boring and safe bet, since Galaxy got a sequel and Odyssey, unless these sources are wrong, sold over twice as much as Galaxy.

Would love to see an improved Odyssey that incorporates the design of Bowser's Fury honestly.
    Honestly I feel like Odyssey's design is great as is, I'd want a sequel that improves on Odyssey first then follow up on Bowser's Fury on the next installment.
    The one thing they could bring over are the shards, and basically have those act as the filler moons. For kingdoms there's plenty they could do, like a proper Ruined Kingdom, Delfino Isle, another city that's not New Donk e.t.c.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Why is the affordability of Nintendo's consoles seen as a good thing? Haven't you ever heard the saying, "you get what you pay for"?
    By that logic, Nintendo games much have some very high quality, because they stay full price for a relatively long length of time, and still sell very well while only rarely seeing a bargain bin(the fate of most games).

Truth is, that saying often does not hold true in business. Especially in a time of loss leaders, MAUs, and subscription building.

Switch Lite being around $199.99 is celebrated because it allows multiple purchases for a single household, allowing each interested individual in the family to manage their own gaming platform without the need for separate screens. That's a big win for parents and a huge improvement in financial accessibility to an actual video game console that can play modern games like Witcher 3.

Your question could actually be restated(I assume) to ask why affordability, in general, is a good thing. Affordability is a good thing because it allows more people to onboard into an area who might not otherwise be able to afford to. An area such as gaming. Gamepass also attempts to offer affordability.

Also, by keeping the specs low(both a conscious business and perhaps technically necessary decision at the time), Nintendo has been able to produce and sell many units during the pandemic, while their competition has languished. Therefore, low specs and affordability have helped Nintendo on the business side far more than anyone could have expected or predicted. They have also helped gamers, because by putting those consoles in gamers hands during a time when the competition could not stock the shelves, they have created an avenue to gaming for those folks, that would otherwise have been relegated to nothing, or perhaps old, irrelevant, maybe even used consoles from last gen.

Yeah.

I mean, imo Nintendo probably waved off a Switch Pro because of the chip shortage, so that was probably a great move considering the chip shortage is looking to possibly extend into 2024 and maybe an unobtainable pro would have stymied sales of other models, so they have played this correctly from a business standpoint imo.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-05-06 at 01:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Theyve only done one 3d mario sequel so i dont think so but it doesnt really matter to me as long as its good. I think galaxy 2 is miles better than 1.

Loved Odyssey, loved Galaxy 1 & 2. I even love Sunshine, haha.

...but my game is 3D World. Wow, what an experience that game was. So easy to just pick up and play, segmented up for easy drop-in/drop-out, and almost always a joy and new experience each play session. Just the challenge and diversity of the levels. I'd take anything, but one day I would love a SM:3D World 2. They can throw a few more Treasure Tracker levels in there too, lol.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-05-06 at 06:19 PM.

The problem with Mario sequels is that they are usually just glorified level packs. I'd have been fine with Odyssey 2 a few years ago but now I'm more interested in something new.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    The problem with Mario sequels is that they are usually just glorified level packs. I'd have been fine with Odyssey 2 a few years ago but now I'm more interested in something new.
    Bad take. Galaxy 2 is one of the best 3D platformers ever made and claiming its a level pack for the meh game that was Galaxy 1 is poppycock.

Anyways both Galaxy 2 and 3D World are far better then Galaxy 1 and 3D Land. The only way your take makes sense is if we where talking the NSMB series which yes, 100% felt like level packs after the first one but that isn't 3D Mario.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-05-07 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Bad take. Galaxy 2 is one of the best 3D platformers ever made and claiming its a level pack for the meh game that was Galaxy 1 is poppycock.

Anyways both Galaxy 2 and 3D World are far better then Galaxy 1 and 3D Land. The only way your take makes sense is if we where talking the NSMB series which yes, 100% felt like level packs after the first one but that isn't 3D Mario.
    Having good levels doesn't make them any less of a level pack. I'm not saying they were bad but I'd rather see something new from Nintendo at this point rather than just further refinement of what they've already done.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Having good levels doesn't make them any less of a level pack. I'm not saying they were bad but I'd rather see something new from Nintendo at this point rather than just further refinement of what they've already done.
    With SMM2 I don’t know what else Nintendo can do for the 2D platformer. There is so much great maker content one may as well only play a new 2D game for the story.

3d though? Bring on the world packs or level packs or whatnot. Call it what you want, I’d love more. I did just pick up the new Kirby game and I suspect this is what we’ll see when it comes to refinement of the formula: taking it it different directions with other franchises.

I’ll throw in another vote for a 3D world 2. This game surpassed Mario kart for couch co-op experience in my household. That is something the typical 2D or 3D Mario’s couldn’t bring to the table. Odds of getting it? I dunno. We’re getting a second Splatoon for the base model switch, perhaps it is in the cards.

My problem with Galaxy 2 was that it didn't offer much besides new levels. Maybe if it had built on the narrative of the first game it could have held my interest

Can't speak on 3D world since I never played Land so I can't speak on how different it actually was. That said I can't say I enjoyed it as much as I did Galaxy or Odyssey but I'm sure multiplayer is enjoyable.

The Financial Times calculates the Saudi investment to be worth $2.98 billion. The largest in a series of investments made by Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by HoJaf View Post
    The Financial Times calculates the Saudi investment to be worth $2.98 billion. The largest in a series of investments made by Saudi Arabia
    Doesn't really effect Nintendo as far as I can tell.
    The Saudi's bought publicly traded stock based my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Doesn't really effect Nintendo as far as I can tell.
    Obviously. Not like Japan is going to let a foreign country by a controlling stake in one of their largest entertainment companies. Nintendo is not SNK on its last legs and needing a bail out.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJaf View Post
    That's a nice influx of capital, I'm sure Nintendo will make good use of it. Significant influx but still only a fraction of yearly revenue.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/84668...322/index.html

Bet they spent a lot on R&D lately planning next gen. Bet they spent more than ever trying not to repeat Wii-U(I don't think this is possible*). They were in a strong financial position doing stock buybacks recently I thought. I don't know the specifics of this transaction.

*The Wii....had a shovelware problem, lot of them turned into dust collectors. That still happens with the Switch, but imo, the industry moving from shovelware to indies and the fact that 3rd parties often partially/fully invested in Switch, giving it a great gaming library compared to the Wii, the awesomeness of it as a jrpg player and a hybrid-portable, I don't believe the number of Switch's that end up collecting dust(during its lifetime) will be anywhere near that of the Wii. Graphics/specs aside, it's just a better machine functionally and WAY better on the core library side. I think there will be great interest in a Switch 2 where I think many wrote Nintendo off towards the last years of the Wii. Just don't name it Switch-U.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-05-19 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    That's a nice influx of capital, I'm sure Nintendo will make good use of it. Significant influx but still only a fraction of yearly revenue.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/84668...322/index.html

Bet they spent a lot on R&D lately planning next gen. Bet they spent more than ever trying not to repeat Wii-U(I don't think this is possible*). They were in a strong financial position doing stock buybacks recently I thought. I don't know the specifics of this transaction.

*The Wii....had a shovelware problem, lot of them turned into dust collectors. That still happens with the Switch, but imo, the industry moving from shovelware to indies and the fact that 3rd parties often partially/fully invested in Switch, giving it a great gaming library compared to the Wii, the awesomeness of it as a jrpg player and a hybrid-portable, I don't believe the number of Switch's that end up collecting dust(during its lifetime) will be anywhere near that of the Wii. Graphics/specs aside, it's just a better machine functionally and WAY better on the core library side. I think there will be great interest in a Switch 2 where I think many wrote Nintendo off towards the last years of the Wii. Just don't name it Switch-U.
    it's not money Nintendo is receiving because the Saudi's bought publicly traded stock.

Bloomberg cites a Nintendo spokesman as saying that the company heard about the investment from news reports, and would not comment on individual shareholders.
    I've seen this line a couple of times floating around and this would kind of confirm this.