Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    Hahahah typing from my phone isnt my strong suit. I meant 5 years and only because those are the figures for December 2016.
    Closer to 6 if you're rounding up. 3DS came out feb 26th 2011. We're a month away from it's 6th birthday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Dfc thinks switch will sell 40 million by 2020

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ts-by-2020-dfc
    Im gonna go with 25 million sold by December 31st 2020. Thats not fantastic, but decent enough.
    60 million lifetime sales. Mild success but not big hit. I think by holiday 2020 they will have 3 models. a 199 Handheld one. a 249 Current gen one, and a 399 one that has a more powerful dock that lets it compete with ps4 and xbox one in docked mode. We will see lots of games only support dock mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    a more powerful dock
    There is no power in the dock. They would have to make the tablet more powerful or offer just another generic home console box with more power to get what you're saying.

There isn't even a fan in the dock like was once rumored. It's literally just a charging station with an hdmi out. The added performance in docked mode comes from the fact the clocks can run higher without battery constraints, and turning off the screen reduce heat generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    There is no power in the dock. They would have to make the tablet more powerful or offer just another generic home console box with more power to get what you're saying.

There isn't even a fan in the dock like was once rumored. It's literally just a charging station with an hdmi out. The added performance in docked mode comes from the fact the clocks can run higher without battery constraints, and turning off the screen reduce heat generation.
    Im saying they will launch a power dock sometime in the next 3 years that boosts the power of the Switch. Probably sold for 149 or 199.

Im saying they will launch a power dock sometime in the next 3 years that boosts the power of the Switch. Probably sold for 149 or 199.
    Unless something magical happens with this chipset....Ya no there not releasing anything that puts it on par with PS4/XB1. To also put it on par they would need to add more ram.

Its not happening The Switch no matter what model will never be on par with Ps4/XB1. Feel free to quote me on this and come back in 2020.

The cooling alone makes it a no.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

And I'm telling you just like I told Immitis and John who had delusions of the dock having hardware in it in the past... It's not possible.

You're probably successful in your current career, don't apply for engineering positions at Nintendo because it's not going to go over well.

As evidence by the PSVR, supplemental computing power is minimal at best. You can't magically make a supplemental computing "dock" that makes the Switch as strong as a PS4 rofl...

I'll be surprised if the Switch does anywhere near as well as the 3DS. The 3DS had the dual-screen gimmick on top of a 3D gimmick (rarely used) on top of a lot of exclusive games and it still sold poorly until the price was slashed.

For instance, I only bought a 3DS XL for the Zelda game (got the bundle), Pokemon XY, and Bravely Default. Even then I had some buyer's remorse because the 3DS XL makes my hands cramp like crazy (due to how small it is) and it was replaced shortly after with the "NEW" 3DS.

The Switch lacks that for a long time (exclusive games worth playing). Zelda BoTW can be played on the Wii U and Mario Kart is a re-release with a few extra features. The only 2 "system sellers" I see this year are possibly Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey.
    Last edited by Maconi; 2017-01-21 at 05:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its possible and heavily rumored (and actually mentioned in the patents) atm but I think the the last thing they need to do is further confuse customers unless its cheap (lol) and gives us good reasons on why we might want it.

I wish I could take some of this shit back to 1994 and show Nintendo of that time what they're doing today. "Fuck yo 32X add-on, Sega, we have Donkey Kong Country!" Yet the fucks release the Virtual Boy a year later and I bought it on launch still, lol!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Its possible and heavily rumored (and actually mentioned in the patents)
    The patents where for supplemental processing power.

Key word, supplemental. It's not like you can make an entirely separate cpu, gpu and ram and have it work with another cpu gpu and ram on 2 separate motherboards and get full efficiency out of both.

Nothing will probably come out of those patents because in reality that shit would be worthless compared to a mid gen upgrade ala ps4 pro if you want one.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-21 at 05:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Key word, supplemental. It's not like you can make an entirely separate cpu, gpu and ram and have it work with another cpu gpu and ram on 2 separate motherboards.

Nothing will probably come out of those patents because in reality that shit would be worthless compared to a mid gen upgrade ala ps4 pro if you want one.
    Don't worry, I'm aware of what it does. The only way it would work the way Chickat says is if the new machine did all of the work while the Switch just sat there looking pretty.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Don't worry, I'm aware of what it does. The only way it would work the way Chickat says is if the new machine did all of the work while the Switch just sat there looking pretty.
    At which point it's not even a switch anymore and the concept of the entire system is a wash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Unless something magical happens with this chipset....Ya no there not releasing anything that puts it on par with PS4/XB1. To also put it on par they would need to add more ram.

Its not happening The Switch no matter what model will never be on par with Ps4/XB1. Feel free to quote me on this and come back in 2020.

The cooling alone makes it a no.
    Nintendo filed a patent for a dock with its own hardware I believe. I read an article about it a few days ago, but who knows what will happen. Besides why cant they release a Switch pro home only version in 2-4 years that has different hardware and puts in closer to scorpio and ps4pro range? Could use streaming tech to stream to the switch while at home or over wifi while on the go. Idk, theres tons of possibilities.

- - - Updated - - -

At which point it's not even a switch anymore and the concept of the entire system is a wash.
    Not if they use streaming tech from Nvidia to stream to the console. Wouldn't work great when traveling, but at home or places with decent wifi it could work.

- - - Updated - - -

Key word, supplemental. It's not like you can make an entirely separate cpu, gpu and ram and have it work with another cpu gpu and ram on 2 separate motherboards and get full efficiency out of both.

The article I read said the gpu in the dock had the same specs as a gtx 1060. I need to find the article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo filed a patent for a dock with its own hardware I believe. I read an article about it a few days ago, but who knows what will happen. Besides why cant they release a Switch pro home only version in 2-4 years that has different hardware and puts in closer to scorpio and ps4pro range? Could use streaming tech to stream to the switch while at home or over wifi while on the go. Idk, theres tons of possibilities.
    So... the PS4 / Vita remote play basically?
    It works surprisingly well within expectations, it's not god send or anything but it works pretty well. Pretty much works as well as your internet connection allows it to.

And the reason why you can't just release hardware is because changing hardware can break compatibility. Sony went the course of keeping the CPU (they have to) and double the CU, so in backwards compatibility mode, the CPU got downclocked and half of the GPU gets disabled. Essentially reverting it back to a normal PS4. Doing that on a mobile SoC is way harder and different and so far not going to happen.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-01-21 at 07:42 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonthar View Post
    Is the pro controller available from anywhere in the US yet for pre-order?
    The Gamestop near me was given 6 pro controllers, needless to say they were presold out very quickly.

And I'm telling you just like I told Immitis and John who had delusions of the dock having hardware in it in the past... It's not possible.

You're probably successful in your current career, don't apply for engineering positions at Nintendo because it's not going to go over well.

As evidence by the PSVR, supplemental computing power is minimal at best. You can't magically make a supplemental computing "dock" that makes the Switch as strong as a PS4 rofl...
    All we need is some kind of valve port for liquid nitrogen injection, maybe some springloaded 50 pin header and another 300 bucks for proper hardware. Lol I'd totally love to explore some possible engineering soltions to this just for shits and giggles, but sadly no one will pay for that :P.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-01-21 at 11:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they won't.

I have to admit I'm really intrigued with the footage they showed of the new zelda game so far.. but paying 300 bucks for a console .. hmm. But that and maybe fire emblem is not enough of a justification.

Any chance all the other jrpgs might make their way to the console? Stuff like tales of zestria and such? I've been wondering if I should get a PSVita for a while now but never could bring myself to actually do it. Ah well by the time I get around to it the console might have already dropped in price .

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I have to admit I'm really intrigued with the footage they showed of the new zelda game so far.. but paying 300 bucks for a console .. hmm. But that and maybe fire emblem is not enough of a justification.

Any chance all the other jrpgs might make their way to the console? Stuff like tales of zestria and such? I've been wondering if I should get a PSVita for a while now but never could bring myself to actually do it. Ah well by the time I get around to it the console might have already dropped in price .
    Nintendos current 3rd party support is terrible right now, consisting of games from YEARS ago mainly because everyone is waiting to see if the switch will be good or not.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Anyone who pays £340 for one game and a boatload of worthless promises of more deserves everything they get.
    And they won't be getting much.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton