10+ Year Old Account
    I picked up some of the DLC on sale.

Yikes, Tomb Kings are rough to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I picked up some of the DLC on sale.

Yikes, Tomb Kings are rough to play.
    How so? Settra's campaign is pretty easy and the faction itself is extremely simple mechanics-wise.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    How so? Settra's campaign is pretty easy and the faction itself is extremely simple mechanics-wise.
    I pickee Arkhan and immediately got bumfucked by 2 Beastmen and some unhappy Brettonians

10+ Year Old Account
    I pickee Arkhan and immediately got bumfucked by 2 Beastmen and some unhappy Brettonians
    Arkhan has a pretty poor starting position, but still isn't too hard a campaign. Are you playing on Legendary?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Arkhan can be rough, all your neighbors hate you, early TKs suck against Dwarfs and the peasantspam of Bretonnia can be a pain to get through. Abuse of your starting Tomb Scorpion if required. After that it's pretty easy, Settra never gets out of control so you can beat him without much incident.

If that doesn't work, Settra himself is an easy start position. TKs in general have a slow early game anyway, they need time to become the late-game juggernauts that they are.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doomtide factions are tough as they generally don't like to ally and they're surrounded by the ordertide in general. With Arkhan, you aren't going to clear the Dawi fast so it's best to focus on clearing the Bretonnians. TK have the bonus of no upkeep so you want to rush tech to get a second army and it's far easier on higher difficulties at that point.

Use ambushes to lure them in to your towns and ambush in town's area to Decisive Victory your way up the levels until the second army can be spawned.

Just takes a bit of practice with Arkhan. Vlad however is a pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    Doomtide factions are tough as they generally don't like to ally and they're surrounded by the ordertide in general. With Arkhan, you aren't going to clear the Dawi fast so it's best to focus on clearing the Bretonnians. TK have the bonus of no upkeep so you want to rush tech to get a second army and it's far easier on higher difficulties at that point.

Use ambushes to lure them in to your towns and ambush in town's area to Decisive Victory your way up the levels until the second army can be spawned.

Just takes a bit of practice with Arkhan. Vlad however is a pain in the arse.
    One perk of playing the Tomb Kings is that while you're not naturally ordertide, none of them hate you by default either. It's fairly easy to get the HEs to like you by killing Noctilus, for example, or becoming pals with the Dwarfs by murdering Skaven (who border you and have territories you want anyway). Arkhan doesn't get any significant diplomatic malus despite being a servant of the guy that makes Mannfred look like a saint.

Vlad's campaign isn't that bad. The key is to blitz Sylvania (you got Siege Attacker and easy access to Vampire heroes, use 'em) and lone Empire provinces; deny Franz his confederations and he's far easier to take out, plus by becoming strong enough you reduce the likelyhood of the Dwarfs coming for your bacon. Beeline for the free skeleton tech and you can field more armies than anyone in the early game, they'll be crap stacks but your Lords are some of the best in the game so you can often manage so long as the enemy aren't the annoying stunty grudge-gnomes. It's still not easy mind you, since as soon as you start getting the Empire under control Chaos will come knocking, but I find his campaign to be manageable. I think Kemmler is actually harder by virtue of not having a start position as safe as Sylvania and not being realistically able to kneecap the Empire early on.

I think the biggest issue with TK is that they are slow.
    Slow to grow. Slow to get multiple armies, slow to build up settlements.

I don't qute remember, doesn't it take like 20 turns until you can even start your second army?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    One perk of playing the Tomb Kings is that while you're not naturally ordertide, none of them hate you by default either. It's fairly easy to get the HEs to like you by killing Noctilus, for example, or becoming pals with the Dwarfs by murdering Skaven (who border you and have territories you want anyway). Arkhan doesn't get any significant diplomatic malus despite being a servant of the guy that makes Mannfred look like a saint.

Vlad's campaign isn't that bad. The key is to blitz Sylvania (you got Siege Attacker and easy access to Vampire heroes, use 'em) and lone Empire provinces; deny Franz his confederations and he's far easier to take out, plus by becoming strong enough you reduce the likelyhood of the Dwarfs coming for your bacon. Beeline for the free skeleton tech and you can field more armies than anyone in the early game, they'll be crap stacks but your Lords are some of the best in the game so you can often manage so long as the enemy aren't the annoying stunty grudge-gnomes. It's still not easy mind you, since as soon as you start getting the Empire under control Chaos will come knocking, but I find his campaign to be manageable. I think Kemmler is actually harder by virtue of not having a start position as safe as Sylvania and not being realistically able to kneecap the Empire early on.
    The start is fine however I get bogged down on higher difficulties on dealing with the multiple factions simultaneously being at war with me as Skeleton spam just isn't a counter to the amount of armies that Reikland, Stirland, Averland, Nuln, the Dawi etc etc... can throw at you on VH and Legendary.

Kemmler is actually easier for me as it doesn't require vampiric corruption for him to uproot. A favourite tactic of mine is beeline for Nagashizzar with him and actually found his empire from there. Just leave a couple armies to hold Castle Drakenfel's while you move him. Tomb Kings lands are ripe for him and it's tier 5 structure is good for the VC.
    Last edited by Malania; 2021-12-01 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    The start is fine however I get bogged down on higher difficulties on dealing with the multiple factions simultaneously being at war with me as Skeleton spam just isn't a counter to the amount of armies that Reikland, Stirland, Averland, Nuln, the Dawi etc etc... can throw at you on VH and Legendary.

Kemmler is actually easier for me as it doesn't require vampiric corruption for him to uproot. A favourite tactic of mine is beeline for Nagashizzar with him and actually found his empire from there. Just leave a couple armies to hold Castle Drakenfel's while you move him. Tomb Kings lands are ripe for him and it's tier 5 structure is good for the VC.
    Man, Nagashizzar is far though. You spend, what 30 or 40 turns just getting there? Sounds too boring for me to ever do that. Also might turn against you if Grimgor and/or Sniktch already claimed the place and are too strong to handle. But I would really like a VC start there or near, they're far too confined to the Old World. Perhaps when Nagash drops.

As for Vlad, that's why you gotta blitz early on and capture Averland and Stirland posthaste, which is rather easily done with free skellies, Raise Dead reinforcements, Vampire heroes aplenty, Siege Attacker, Blood Knights and the quickest Wind of Death you can spec in. Once you have those provinces your foothold is set there's little that can stop you unless you're really unlucky and Thorgrim absolutely crushes Grimgor early game then double teams you. Vampires are singularly terrible at defensive warfare, with how many enemies you have being bold and offensive is your strongest bet.

Vampires are singularly terrible at defensive warfare, with how many enemies you have being bold and offensive is your strongest bet.
    I wonder with settlement battles revamp, how are they going to change vampire settlements as the layout is supposed to play into strengths of the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I wonder with settlement battles revamp, how are they going to change vampire settlements as the layout is supposed to play into strengths of the owners.
    Beats me, to be honest. Same for Slaanesh and Khorne who are similarly extremely melee focused. Probably large spaces allowing them to maneuver, would be my guess, but with shot blockers so they don't get easily targeted by artillery and ranged. In theory Vampires are good at the melee grind but their actually damaging units are quick and not that tough- Blood Knights, Terrogeists, Vargulf, Mortis Engine, that sorta thing. Same for Slaanesh who needs space to work with given that the only unit they have that isn't made of plasticine is the Soul Grinder. Also, making settlement walls not play hell with spells like Wind of Death would help a lot!

In my dreams races would also get unique advantages and abilities on the defense, to represent their capabilities. So Vampires would be able to summon bats, and cover the battlefield in ominous fog that lowers enemy leadership and lowers the range of their missiles. Slaanesh could inflict sundry debuffs on fools trespassing in their realm, to represent their senses being overwhelmed. Dwarfs could call upon offmap artillery. Lizardmen could teleport in feral beasts if a Slann is present. So on and so forth. The Skaven already have a prototype of this in their Warpbomb ability, I just wish similar defensive benefits were extended to every race. But then again I doubt the AI would use them effectively.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man, Nagashizzar is far though. You spend, what 30 or 40 turns just getting there? Sounds too boring for me to ever do that. Also might turn against you if Grimgor and/or Sniktch already claimed the place and are too strong to handle. But I would really like a VC start there or near, they're far too confined to the Old World. Perhaps when Nagash drops.

As for Vlad, that's why you gotta blitz early on and capture Averland and Stirland posthaste, which is rather easily done with free skellies, Raise Dead reinforcements, Vampire heroes aplenty, Siege Attacker, Blood Knights and the quickest Wind of Death you can spec in. Once you have those provinces your foothold is set there's little that can stop you unless you're really unlucky and Thorgrim absolutely crushes Grimgor early game then double teams you. Vampires are singularly terrible at defensive warfare, with how many enemies you have being bold and offensive is your strongest bet.
    It's far but it's also kind of fun as far as roleplay goes. I tend to go down the blue line to rush lightning strike before anything else as it makes the multi stack armies easier to deal with.

Prince sassy legs is more disturbing than bloodletters or plaguelords.

Kinda surprised they have the old ugly Greater Daemon aswell as the new much better looking AoS version.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

That hip sway. Well, they nailed that one.
    Would love to have some "THINGS SHALL GET LOUD NOW", though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Badass trailer but i agree should have used the aos modell for the keeper of secrets.
    Do you hear the voices too?

7+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

A lot more chokepoints in Cathan then I would have guessed by the looks of it.

I do wonder how annoying it will be for Ogres to defend their territory from factions that can travel under the mountains (assuming Ogres don't get something similar. But it wouldn't be in their background?)
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death