Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Suspended from work

So I've been dissatisfied with my job lately and decided to be a little silly and try something out.

At my place of work the male employees are required to wear suits, essentially covering up from the neck down.

Women on the other hand are free to show an enormous amount cleavage and wear skirts to work or can freely opt to wear a suit as well.

Being a little peeved at what feels like a double standard (sexism?) I wore what my female co-workers wear to work everyday.

Shortly after showing up to work, and understandably receiving a few comments/looks from my co-workers, I was called into the managers office and told that what I was wearing was not suitable.

I asked why.

The response is mostly why I am posting this here, the manager said that what I was wearing was revealing too much of my chest and did not fit well in a professional workplace. After all this I was sent home.

Like, what? Why the double standard?

(I have no problem with women wearing revealing clothing, my problem is with the double standard. Thought I would make that clear.)

So, you went to work wearing a dress? Makes sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    So, you went to work wearing a dress? Makes sense.
    And if a woman had been sent home because she was wearing a 'man's' suit would that 'make sense'? Fucking hypocrite.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

So instead of opening a dialog (sp?) about it you decide to break the rules to provoke a reaction?

I'm also not to happy with my work and workload, but I'm discussing options with my manager and HR instead of being a bit silly and possibly annoy my coworkers.
    Last edited by Amorac; 2015-05-13 at 06:20 AM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Deleted
    And not a shit was given.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    And if a woman had been sent home because she was wearing a 'man's' suit would that 'make sense'? Fucking hypocrite.
    They do make suits for women though. Now, if she was sporting what's considered to be a man's hairstyle, maybe a short slicked-back look, she could be profiled as a lesbian.

Which is likely what became the OP's problem. To his manager, he didn't look like he was taking a stand against sexism. He just looked gay. Like the girl with the masculine haircut, he can not just be suspended, but even fired in a lot of states on those grounds alone.

Deleted
    In before someone says this hinders his freedom of expression.

Yep, this happened.

I wore a modest skirt, low-cut top and stockings.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    So instead of opening a dialog (sp?) about it you decide to break the rules to provoke a reaction?
    Why is a dialogue even required. I should be able to show up to work wearing what is considered professional for others in the workplace without getting into trouble.

If you're not a customer-facing business you might have fairly solid grounds for a discrimination case. I'd discuss it with your HR manager before taking any legal action and make sure that woman are allowed to wear the revealing clothes or whether management is just letting it slide. If they try and pull the "because girls are girls and you're a guy" then I'd call them on it and speak to your states labor board and maybe some local attorneys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by temp123456 View Post
    Lol. Notice the woman near the sign, she's dressed like the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ever present View Post
    Lol. Notice the woman near the sign, she's dressed like the boss.
    More women should wear suspenders. Flatters your boobs without having to resort to cleavage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by temp123456 View Post
    ]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fCIax28E9kM/UPRowHB5GLI/AAAAAAAASN4/m8HkYPP2oEI/s800/414-dress-job.png
    I like that one better :

Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    If you're not a customer-facing business you might have fairly solid grounds for a discrimination case. I'd discuss it with your HR manager before taking any legal action and make sure that woman are allowed to wear the revealing clothes or whether management is just letting it slide. If they try and pull the "because girls are girls and you're a guy" then I'd call them on it and speak to your states labor board and maybe some local attorneys.
    This is pretty much the attitude. I'm not planning legal action, and I haven't lost my job/any pay (I received a warning and sent home). I imagine if I did repeatedly show up to work wearing what I wore I would face suspension/termination though. If anything, I will talk to upper-management about my experience and discuss that I do feel that it is discriminatory. I do feel for any employees who may identify as female but are expected to dress and behave in a "manly" way because of accepted stereotypes.

My job performance is not impacted in any way by the clothing I wear. I can understand a professional dress code, I cannot on the other hand understand why different dress standards apply to women and men.

Quote Originally Posted by gwumpy View Post
    My job performance is not impacted in any way by the clothing I wear. I can understand a professional dress code, I cannot on the other hand understand why different dress standards apply to women and men.
    Because not conforming to gender norms is considered to be deviant.

I'm reminded of the eight-year-old girl who got kicked out of a Christian school for not being feminine enough.

Why is a dialogue even required. I should be able to show up to work wearing what is considered professional for others in the workplace without getting into trouble.
    Because it's the rule/policy of the place you work and you don't change those by breaking them. It doesn't matter how you feel about rules. Maybe your manager can give you a reason for why they made it this way. (Doesn't even have to be a very good reason, just a (valid) one).
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Deleted
    I wore a modest skirt, low-cut top and stockings.

Discuss with your HR-manager about it then. He most likely didn't suspend you for the clothes, but because of the unprofessional way you handled the thing.

OP, you must be economically well off to pull shit like that at work, since apparently you don't value your position there to be breaking rules like that.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Discuss with your HR-manager about it then. He most likely didn't suspend you for the clothes, but because of the unprofessional way you handled the thing.
    How is wearing clothing that's considered professional in the workplace (for some) unprofessional? I behaved and went about my job as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    Because it's the rule/policy of the place you work and you don't change those by breaking them. It doesn't matter how you feel about rules. Maybe your manager can give you a reason for why they made it this way. (Doesn't even have to be a very good reason, just a (valid) one).
    Valid point. Maybe I'm being short sighted or ignorant, but are rules that discriminate or reduce rights legally enforceable?