Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

"Creep" shamed on Facebook was actually father taking dad selfie with Darth Vader

Source: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...h-darth-vader/

A Melbourne mother, mistakenly believing that a guy was photographing her kids in a shopping centre, snapped a photo of him as he was "taking off" (also known as simply leaving a Target store).

On 6 May, she posted the photo to Facebook with her description of the encounter with the "creep", saying that he'd been reported to management and police and that he'd be charged if he turned out to be a registered sex offender.

After hundreds of shares, the news of his public shaming finally reached the so-called "creep", who turns out to have been publicly maligned over innocent behavior.

By the time the post was shared 20,000 times, he had received death threats and was considering his legal options, he told Daily Mail Australia under condition of anonymity.

The man eventually contacted police to explain he was just taking a selfie - in fact, his first ever - as he stood in front of a Darth Vader cut-out at the Westfield Knox shopping centre at Wantirna South, in Melbourne, Australia.

The interaction:

Then, he saw a bunch of kids sitting down nearby without any parents present.

He reassured the kids that he'd be done in a jiffy:

I said 'I'll only be a second, I’m taking a selfie to send to my kids.'

Some key facts for those who don't want to read:

1. The mother left the very young children completely unattended in a store
    2. The mother did not see the interaction at all. She heard whatever little could be conveyed from her young children.
    3. The father took a selfie next to a large Darth Vader poster to send to his kids due to the new Star Wars movie. It did not include anyone other than himself.
    4. The woman, in addition to all the other actions, decided to post a picture of the man she took with a message about his creepiness on social media, as well as naming the store brand: https://sophosnews.files.wordpress.c...lfie.png?w=640
    5. She later took down the Facebook message after it had received an extraordinary amount of publicity - so much so that many in the community recognized the man, including his own family.

She has not apologized to the man or the store.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-05-11 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a dumb fucking cunt. Too bad there will be no repercussions.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Social media is expanding the culture of snitching, to the point where everyone is being encouraged to be an informant.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

There's a weird trend to see adult men around children as default sex offenders.

It's a stupid attitude that excludes men from child rearing.

He should sue tho.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Source: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...h-darth-vader/

Some key facts for those who don't want to read:

1. The mother left the very young children completely unattended in a store
    2. The mother did not see the interaction at all. She heard whatever little could be conveyed from her young children.
    3. The father took a selfie next to a large Darth Vader poster to send to his kids due to the new Star Wars movie. It did not include anyone other than himself.
    4. The woman, in addition to all the other actions, decided to post a picture of the man she took with a message about his creepiness on social media, as well as naming the store brand: https://sophosnews.files.wordpress.c...lfie.png?w=640
    5. She later took down the Facebook message after it had received an extraordinary amount of publicity - so much so that many in the community recognized the man, including his own family.

She has not apologized to the man or the store.
    I hope she is murdered

no but srsly, fuck her for (presumably) believing her kids when they told her a man took pictures of them. After all he was holding a phone at an angle that would be the correct angle to take a picture of the children. /sarcasm
    Network on HBO kinda dealt with this issue of internet mob justice, where it can be a force of good or evil when public opinion is swayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sue the bitch for lible.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    This literally is why we can't have nice things. It's also the reason cunt was invented.

seems like a regular bloke that got shit dropped in his lap. now she has to suffer for it, sue her imo and let it be a lesson not to jump to conclusions and what you get for witch hunting/ social media shame people.

@Feali I dont use that word very often but but yes for this situation cunt is well deserved.

sueing for defamation of character sounds about right
    Last edited by idunnowatdo; 2015-05-11 at 08:15 PM.

It seems like Australia has such a hardcore agenda against pedophiles that it's spilled over to attacking any males in sight.

Protecting kids is good and all, but they're definitely taking it too far.

That's ridiculous, this is why people shouldn't jump to conclusions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'd sue the shit outta that bitch.
    Yerp.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

He should almost definitely sue. He did absolutely nothing wrong and has experienced death threats and will likely experience harassment for a long time to come thanks to her reckless and idiotic actions.

I don't normally jump on the "sue to solve problems" train but shit like this needs to be taught a lesson. Public shaming without facts is not okay.

I tell you being a man is getting scary. Everyone looks at you like you're a criminal now days.

This is why we need to discourage this "shaming" nonsense on Twitter and Facebook.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That's ridiculous, this is why people shouldn't jump to conclusions.

This is the funniest thing I have heard on these forums. People here are no better and would do the same if they had seen her post first.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    As if that would have no backlash for her now.

I see she got out her mat and proved it be a million dollar invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    This is the funniest thing I have heard on these forums. People here are no better and would do the same if they had seen her post first.
    I would try not to personally, but at least here we don't contact the police and spread all over facebook how someone is an evil vile person.

Small kids who don't even understand what Selfie means yet. Mom's failing.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I would try not to personally, but at least here we don't contact the police and spread all over facebook how someone is an evil vile person.
    Speak only for yourself.