The Simpsons voice actor Harry Shearer leaves the show

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-...ow-1201495626/

“The Simpsons” has lost one of its most recognizable voices. Harry Shearer, who voices Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders and Principle Skinner, is leaving Fox’s animated series after 26 seasons.

He tweeted the news on Wednesday night.

“This because I wanted what we’ve always had: the freedom to do other work,” he wrote.

His message suggested that his departure was over a contract dispute. Shearer wrote that the lawyer for “Simpsons” producer James L. Brooks’ delivered the news: “‘Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best.'”

“Simpsons” showrunner Al Jean confirmed the news, releasing a statement to New York Times reporter Dave Itzkoff.

“Harry Shearer was offered the same deal the rest of the cast accepted, and passed,” it said. “The show will go on and we wish him well. Maggie took it hard.”

Jean added that the will recast Burns and Flanders “with the finest voiceover talent available” rather than killing off the long-running characters.

Fox recently renewed the venerable series for two more seasons through 2017.

The rest of the “Simpsons” voice cast recently signed two-year extensions, logging on for seasons 27 and 28. Production on season 27 has already begun without Shearer.

The show has survived contact issues before, although without losing its cast members. In 2011, 20th Century Fox Television looked to cut costs of the aging show by dealing a hefty pay cut to the voice cast. The cast did eventually agree to the cut after tense negotiations, though the salary reduction was not as steep as the studio originally proposed.

Fox has yet to release a statement. The season 26 finale of “The Simpsons” will air on Fox on Sunday.

Showrunner Al Jean did confirm that they're gonna recast.

While the show isn't as good as it used to, its sad to see him leave after voicing for the show for 26 years. His characters have always been my favorite, looking at Burns, Flanders and Skinner. The show doesn't see an end anytime soon and got just renewed for 2 more seasons.

Oh, it's sad to hear that I wonder, who will recast Shearer's characters? It's difficult to imagine anybody who could substitute him.

Good, maybe now the show can die soon. And them recasting a voice instead of writing off the characters, yeh, like no one will notice.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2015-05-14 at 02:51 PM.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Go Go Billy West!

10+ Year Old Account
    Will be a sad day when The Simpsons die but please just pull the plug, its like family guy gone on for far to long.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The cast is getting pretty old. Harry Shearer is now 71. I'd imagine we'll start to see a few of them pull the pin of the next few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    Go Go Billy West!
    Sadly, I could see this. Not because the show runners are so cocky too keep the show going, but because Billy West is just THAT good.

There's no way they can recast that, and there's no way they can just write out so many important side characters.

When I 1st saw this I thought, maybe this is the beginning of the end for the show, the cast slowly ages and retires/leaves and they end it.

If they're just going to recast Shearer, I suspect the recasts will continue and the Simpsons will still be going long after we're all gone. I'm starting to think if I travelled 100 years into the future it'd still be going with recasts.

I'm kind of not sure if I should be happy or sad that the simpson may just continue indefinitely.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Id like to think that if Castellaneta left, they would end it.

I wonder if they would have renewed it if they knew he voice actor was gonna quit. I really dislike it when people are recast, even if it's just a voice. I guess the characters are too big to just cut, like they did with Troy Mclure (or however you write it) and that lawyer. Or for Edna karbapple even.

Maybe these are all signs they should let the show go... :/

10+ Year Old Account
    They will probably kill off his characters in the most epic of fashions, or make some sort of reference to the fact their voices are different (if recast). That's just how The Simpsons rolls!

Have some throat disease breakout and only his characters get it, thus their voices are slightly different when they recover.