Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

is the patch for the silver beta demo out?
    my saved bookmark where the progress was shown got shutdown...

10+ Year Old Account
    For those of you who have played the rom hacks Blaze Black/Volt White, Sacred Gold/Storm Silver, and others, their creator/editor (Drayano) seems to have recently released a hack for Platinum, Renegade Platinum. I didn't try it yet, but if it's anything like the others, it should be pretty neat.

Edit: I was reading through its documentation... apparently it adds quite a bit of stuff, including Fairy type, changes to moves to somewhat match USUM, and so on. No wonder this shit took ages to release.

- The Fairy-type has been added to the game, replacing the almost unused ???-type.
    - All Pokémon have had their base stats updated to match Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
    - All Pokémon have had their types updated to match Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
    - All Pokémon have had their wild held item updated to match Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (with some exceptions).

Just an excerpt from the Pokemon Changes document.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2018-12-26 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

https://twitter.com/pokemon_movie/st...24847878684673

The first trailer for movie 22 will be out on New Year's Day.

10+ Year Old Account

Rofl.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    A game that is more expensive than previous entries in the series despite having less content.
    A game that has removed abilities, held items, many moves, and the vast majority of the Pokedex, for the sake of some dumb "it's a Yellow remake" argument (all while keeping Mega Evolutions and Alolan forms), when Fire Red and Leaf Green did it better many years ago, without removing anything, and instead adding more to the games.
    A game that, for the sake of simplification and removal of "Bike Simulator", removed EVs and Breeding, while leaving in IVs and adding Candy boosts, which encourage you to turn off your brain and grind close to 200 of the same species for candies, and have no control over IVs outside of, I assume, chaining for better stats. You still lose time doing something annoying, but instead of a few limited stat boosts, you get a colossal increase to every stat. As if that wasn't enough, all stats get a boost at maximum Friendship.
    A game that revamped its wild encounter and capture method systems to be more similar to Go. While not necessarily a bad change, it still has massive flaws, the number one being that outside of static encounters like Snorlax and Legendaries, you never fight non-trainer controlled Pokemon at all, and even by investing the best balls and berries available, you still have a considerable chance of failing to capture things, and they can actually run away from you, too.
    A game that uses a bunch of one on one battles as its "post game", of almost every species in the game.
    A game that gives you overpowered starters with exclusive moves with not only high power and fantastic coverage, but also secondary effects that are either 100% chance of inflicting a status, or setting up other moves at the same time (Leech Seed, Screens).

Literally the only things these games did right, in my opinion, was the NPC that changes the Nature of your encounters, and the revamp to many trainers rosters. Koga was the one I noticed had the greatest improvement, but some other minor changes here and there were also great.

The fact that these games are being showered with praise, with only minor criticisms like the capture system, does not bode well at all for future titles.
    Thing is..this is a SIDE game...made for casual crowd/people with kids/People who played Red and Blue, stopped playing, and picked it up again in Pokemon Go it wasn't made as a Main pokemon game...this has as much damage to the actual series as Pokemon TCG for the Gameboy Color did

the ONLY thing this game may of done would be the possibility that the Partner attacks may transfer to the newer game (which would do NOTHING for Pikachu/Raichu but may influence the Eevelutions a little)

also
    A game that requires you to pay for what is essentially a second copy of the game in terms of price, and also requires you to play a significant amount of time in Pokemon Go, if you want to ever get a 100% complete Pokedex, unless someone trades you theirs (which still requires someone else to invest this time and money to obtain them anyway).
    ...isn't that literally EVERY Pokemon game since 1998? Also you can just transfer from GO for most of the Pokemon that are version exclusives which only requires time and a cell phone

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't a side game.
    "Casual crowd/people with kids" is a shit argument. Pokemon has never been a hard game in its double decade long existence. Outside of some notorious boss battles like Cynthia, Ghetsis, or Ultra Necrozma, the games have always been simple enough. If dumb 7-9 year old me who barely understood english could play and beat the first two generations of games without too much trouble, I don't fucking buy it that today's kids, without the issue of a language barrier and with much easier to understand systems can't handle Pokemon without all the dumbing down the games suffered.

I do hope you're right about this not affecting future generation titles. However, this is a developer notorious for scrapping good features while keeping shit no one wants to deal with. Depending on how successful these are, and the kind of feedback they get, we could very well be looking at a pretty grim future for Pokemon games.

Finally, surely you can't be comparing version exclusives, which only require you to find someone who has the version you don't, with the ways Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal are obtained. Also, you say it "only requires time and a cell phone" as if that was ok.

"Don't you guys have phones?"
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2018-12-28 at 10:51 AM.
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

https://dime.jp/genre/636608/

In an interview with Dime, The Pokemon Company CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara said developing for the Switch was harder than GameFreak expected, and he joked some of the team could have believed it was 5 times harder tp develop on the Switch compared with past Nintendo handhelds.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't a side game.
    Actually, it is. It's consider a spinoff by TPC, hence it's a side game (at least I would not consider admin of Serebii.net a liar and he informed about that several times in the past).

"Casual crowd/people with kids" is a shit argument. Pokemon has never been a hard game in its double decade long existence. Outside of some notorious boss battles like Cynthia, Ghetsis, or Ultra Necrozma, the games have always been simple enough. If dumb 7-9 year old me who barely understood english could play and beat the first two generations of games without too much trouble, I don't fucking buy it that today's kids, without the issue of a language barrier and with much easier to understand systems can't handle Pokemon without all the dumbing down the games suffered.
    No, it's never been hard game if you consider kids/casuals. For those however not much has changed in Let's go in terms of playability. Yes, there are no fights of wild pokemons, but that's a change of game mechanic, nothing to do with difficulty or playability. Or dumbing down anything. As agreed the game was never hard so can't even talk about "dumbing down" can we?

Finally, surely you can't be comparing version exclusives, which only require you to find someone who has the version you don't, with the ways Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal are obtained. Also, you say it "only requires time and a cell phone" as if that was ok.

"Don't you guys have phones?"
    Sorry but what's exactly easier about finding someone else with another gb/gbc/gba/nds/2ds/3ds and second game and finding out someone with another switch and second game or pokemon go player? This is really stupid point you're trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibúeanor View Post
    Sorry but what's exactly easier about finding someone else with another gb/gbc/gba/nds/2ds/3ds and second game and finding out someone with another switch and second game or pokemon go player? This is really stupid point you're trying to make.
    Removal of GTS makes completing the dex infinitely more frustrating.

EVEN if I transferred the version exclusives from Go, trade evolutions are a no-go.

Actually, it is. It's consider a spinoff by TPC, hence it's a side game (at least I would not consider admin of Serebii.net a liar and he informed about that several times in the past).
    Joe Serebii himself has multiple times made it absolutely clear that is not a side game. This is simply based on the pure fact that the company itself advertised and still does advertise the game as a main-game series.

You can go back to Joe's tweets and see for yourself. Just clearing up wrong information.

We wouldn't worry about the future if Lets Go was a spinoff.

But it is not so there are real danger any of its terrible decisions xan cone to ruin gen 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm last nintendo direct was on 13.9.2018. Before that it was on 8.3.2018. And even before that on 13.9.2017.

If they continue doing it like this, we can expect pokemon news on 8.3.2019

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Joe Serebii himself has multiple times made it absolutely clear that is not a side game. This is simply based on the pure fact that the company itself advertised and still does advertise the game as a main-game series.

You can go back to Joe's tweets and see for yourself. Just clearing up wrong information.
    I'm on my phone at work right now so I have trouble checking it, but I'm fairly sure Masuda himself called it that. I'm not sure where people got this idea that Let's Go are spin offs or whatever.

Then again, Masuda contradicts himself every 5 minutes, so it's not that surprising that people would spew wrong and/or outdated information.

I can't believe people are defending the removal of held items and abilities, or comparing version exclusives with Mew and Meltan. This isn't the gameboy era anymore, finding someone with the version you don't have isn't a problem anymore. Locking Pokemon behind a mobile game and a $50 controller is not comparable at all.

And those are just the most notable things that come to mind, they are far from being the only issues.

I'm on my phone at work right now so I have trouble checking it, but I'm fairly sure Masuda himself called it that. I'm not sure where people got this idea that Let's Go are spin offs or whatever.

Then again, Masuda contradicts himself every 5 minutes, so it's not that surprising that people would spew wrong and/or outdated information.

I can't believe people are defending the removal of held items and abilities, or comparing version exclusives with Mew and Meltan. This isn't the gameboy era anymore, finding someone with the version you don't have isn't a problem anymore. Locking Pokemon behind a mobile game and a $50 controller is not comparable at all.

And those are just the most notable things that come to mind, they are far from being the only issues.
    I fully agree. I refused to buy a switch for this game, and I will be very mindful on gen 8. I fully hope for a good, well-rounded and true to itself pokemon game. From what every youtuber has said (and even Joe himself), the controls are not accurate enough for ball throwing. They can definitely do better.

In the end, having the mon literally do nothing while waiting to be caught is just stupid, really. The notion of pokemon always was that it is dangerous to venture without a mon of your own, because mons in the wild are exactly that: wild.

We have nothing like that. We have a kindergarden. An absolute wannabe friendly to the bone slavecatcher that wants their victims to smile back when they catch them. The story of Let's Go makes no fucking sense with the "friendly rival" as final champion. It's just stupid.

I really hope that the Gen 8 game will be true to its roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Removal of GTS makes completing the dex infinitely more frustrating.

EVEN if I transferred the version exclusives from Go, trade evolutions are a no-go.
    I do agree that the removal of GTS sucks monkey balls. Though thanks to Go connection you can get around those trade-evolutions at least. Honestly speaking, if they got rid of trade-evolutions completely in the future I would mind that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post

Actually, Joe Merrick said several times on TSR's reddit that he saw TPC's materials where it was clearly marked as spin-off. So either that changed at some point during the development or he says two different things at the same time. I would link you those posts but reddit's search sucks monkey balls so search for something specific is like looking for a needle in the haystack.

EDIT: Apologies, seems it's not indeed a spin-off, it's a main game, but not a core game. Yes, we're now down to core games, main games and spin-offs. Always thought core game = main game, but seems I was mistaken.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoa...ion_7/e6jp6mw/ and the below discussion...

I love the Mew argument, I really do. However if we compare ways of obtaining Mew in Let's go and the main games... well let me just say that my first legit Mew I ever got was back in Gen 6 which was after more than 15 years since I had played Yellow. So yeah... Would I prefer Mew be obtainable without having to buy the Pokeball+? Sure I would. Still it's way easier to get than in main games. But no one complains about that. Or any other mythicals... Like Zeraora for example without whom USUM dex won't be complete either.
    Last edited by Nibúeanor; 2019-01-06 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the Mew argument, I really do. However if we compare ways of obtaining Mew in Let's go and the main games... well let me just say that my first legit Mew I ever got was back in Gen 6 which was after more than 15 years since I had played Yellow. So yeah... Would I prefer Mew be obtainable without having to buy the Pokeball+? Sure I would. Still it's way easier to get than in main games. But no one complains about that. Or any other mythicals... Like Zeraora for example without whom USUM dex won't be complete either.
    You will never see me defending event exclusives.

However, consider the following: one of the selling points of these games is its connectivity to Pokemon Go, from which you can transfer Meltan and Melmetal, who aren't obtainable without Go either. Every Pokemon that exists and is capturable in Go is transferable to Let's Go, all the way from Bulbasaur to Melmetal.

Except Mew. And then Mew is obtainable by buying an expensive controller, and has no other methods of being obtainable. Former mythicals have always been a fucking pain and should, in my opinion, be obtainable just by playing the game you bought. But they have historically been free to get when they are actually distributed. This one isn't, and an exception is created for it, being the only one out of all 153 Pokemon available in Let's Go you can't transfer from Go.

Chew on that for a bit and defend it again. I know you will.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2019-01-06 at 09:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder but.

Will 3ds to Switch trades be even possible in future.

I do agree that the removal of GTS sucks monkey balls. Though thanks to Go connection you can get around those trade-evolutions at least. Honestly speaking, if they got rid of trade-evolutions completely in the future I would mind that at all.
    In theory, yes. In practice.....

Farming 125 candies for those relatively uncommon mons sucks balls. Especially if you wanna have something to use in Go too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I wonder but.

Will 3ds to Switch trades be even possible in future.
    You can send Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate save data from 3DS version to the Switch version. So it is possible.

Will Gamefreak be able to do it? Doubtful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    In theory, yes. In practice.....

Farming 125 candies for those relatively uncommon mons sucks balls. Especially if you wanna have something to use in Go too.

- - - Updated - - -

You can send Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate save data from 3DS version to the Switch version. So it is possible.

Will Gamefreak be able to do it? Doubtful.
    Well not the saves, but just normal player to player trade. (infrared trading or local wireless link)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...ocal_wireless/