Deleted
    My favourite game is probably the KotOR franchise. It was a big stepping stone for the best RPGs we have today among other genres.

Another favorite one is Tell Tale's Walking Dead which also was a big stepping stone of its genre.

TWD was great, undoubtedly, but I wouldn't even call it the strongest game from TellTale (The Wolf Among Us was better, imo).

For me, my favorite game is tied between Shadow of the Colossus, The Banner Saga, and Pokemon.

Shadow of the Colossus isn't a game; it's an experience. It cuts out the unnecessary mechanics like items, quests, NPCs, or character progression, and just focuses on the essentials: 16 colossi to slay (to bring back your deceased loved one), a massive peninsula you have to find them in, a sword to kill them with, and your trusty horse as your only form of companionship during the entire game. The experience feels earnest and relate-able; your not embarking on some grand quest to overthrow the empire or save the world. There is no epic orchestral score playing in each zone (in fact there's no music for the vast majority of the game, which makes the handful of times there is very special), there is no glorious final battle; it's simply about a young, ordinary man who - by the virtue of doing something out of love - does something extraordinary. He's not some invincible super hero or legendary warrior. IMO, that is more epic than any Final Fantasy game I've ever played. The game being magnificent by itself doesn't help.

I love The Banner Saga for similar reasons; in it you play as a man who has to take up the mantle of responsibility and lead your caravan to safety away from an apparent invasion. Your not going around trying to raise an army for a better tomorrow; there is no tomorrow. This is Ragnarok, the end of the world, and each day you survive only delays the inevitable, and yet... you continue on, because you still have a life and have made an oath, and damn your going to see it through to the end. The character interactions and witty dialogue really make the game, many of which are the most memorable I've had the pleasure to meet in recent memory. Rook, Alette, Oddleif, Eyvind, Hakon, Ubin, Eirik, Iver, Ludin, Aleo, Bolverk, Falka... I genuinely enjoy these people - who feel like actual people as opposed to characters, people who I can't simply describe with a one liner - and sincerely hope they survive this ordeal, even though in all likelihood they won't. Once again, these people aren't born badasses; they're ordinary people who - out of love for their families - have take up arms to protect and in doing so do something extraordinary, and in my eyes become true badasses. Additionally, The Banner Saga is a compelling game in of itself: it was the game that got me into strategy RPGs and visual novels. The battles require forethought and careful team composition to succeed in, and the game rewards you for keeping your team alive, allowing you to fight a second wave of reinforcements and develop your characters more, opening up more strategies to have fun with.

My other contender for "Val's most favorite video game" would be Pokemon. What can I say? The world is genuinely intriguing and feels like an actual world as opposed to a collection of locations arbitrarily made for a video game. Like The Banner Saga, the people I meet in this world feel like actual people - and like most of them - who experience actual character development. Also, they are genuinely likable. The idea of Pokemon is also captivating: traveling the world with your dearest lil' companions, with nothing but the clothes on your back and the food in your pack, embarking on a rite of passage. It's an urban fantasy the remains familiar while also fantastic. Gameplay is in depth, with hundreds of different mons to pick from, and you can build your strategy any way you want, and with work make it competitively viable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    TWD was great, undoubtedly, but I wouldn't even call it the strongest game from TellTale (The Wolf Among Us was better, imo).
    Not calling it TellTale's best game. Just saying it allowed game like TWD to really shine and present other similar games to the masses, so to speak.´

Deleted
    + 1

Anyone want to play vs AI in HotS right now for the Rooster mount?

I hate that genre, no thanks.

How are you guys able to post just the number? I get the 10char issue
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

woo 0
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Deleted
    + 2

Quote us and see!