Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Especially Max
    I hate you forever
    However, if there is anywhere to read it or such, I wouldn't mind being pointed in the right direction since I do want to read it very badly

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Re:Zero 18
    That post just hit it out of the ballpark on this episode. I was trying to express that idea myself, but you just did it far better.

Somehow accidentally found Log Horizon Vol 8 translated, which doesn't do much good cus it doesn't go very far into what S2 of the anime covered. RIPS

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Alright, I was just curious to see what it was you needed help with.

I was always really bad at any sort of C# programming, but I usually did well in my SQL classes and reasonably well in my Oracle classes later on. PL/SQL kind of sucks though.

Overall, though, fuck IT, I don't want to pursue that career any further.
    It was just some basic JDBC stuff. Needed to retrieve some specific data from a bunch of tables at once, and I haven't had a SQL class in a while so I was stumped on what the hell I was supposed to write to get the right results back, but eventually figured it out.

tbh I love C#. But maybe that's just because I absolutely despise working with C++ and appreciate how straight forward C# (or java, for that matter) is in comparison.

Orange 5 - They do a really good job of capturing the closeness of the group. I really liked the scene about time travel as well, even if it did feel a little forced-in in both the anime and manga. Major spoilers from upcoming episodes: The rooftop scene with Azu, Takako, and Suwa was really well done, too, considering how conflicted they were knowing that in a Kakeru-less future Naho married Suwa and had a kid with him. I think the show might be a little heavy-handed with the hints that the others have letters from the future as well (though that could just be me knowing because I read the manga).

Suwa best girl

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Orange 5
    Suwa best girl
    Definitely. Suwa is the real husbando of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcaller View Post
    Shakugan no Shana Final 10 - Damn that was awesome. Shana's fight with the Camel guy, with the ED in the background, was probably my favorite moment of the series so far.

I can probably squeeze in two more episodes today, and finish the series within the next couple of days.
    T-T I'm so happy. Season 3 is amazing right? You liking how things are going so far?

10+ Year Old Account
    C# is the only one I ever worked with and I hated it, but that's only because I had a teacher that didn't know how to teach and me who refused to learn it all by himself because I was attending an educational institution that was supposed to help me acquire that knowledge.

Basically what happened was that after three years of school and programming classes, out of a class of maybe 30 people, only a handful actually knew had to program anything beyond a simple calculator in C#.

I always liked webdesign more, or at least what I saw of it.
    I get to do both webdesign and C# these days (javascript/html/css UIs with C# services on the back-end). We still have our resident 'UI guy' but we're expected to be able to build out those UIs ourselves and have half a clue on how they should look, with our UI guy acting as a consultant/overseer/provider of rules&tools. I think that's the general way that the industry is going, hard to get by as just another code-monkey these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
    T-T I'm so happy. Season 3 is amazing right? You liking how things are going so far?
    Yeah, very much so. Definitely feels like it was worth going through the previous seasons now. I actually watched 11 episodes in one day and I'm only stopping because it is getting late and I need to sleep, very few other shows have made me do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, if you have any programming questions, seems there are plenty in this thread that can help. I only have 5 years of work experience, but wide breadth: web development, services, backend (relational, nosql, document dbs, big data), etc so hopefully one of those can help.

OT: Really enjoyed Orange today. I realized I enjoy it most if I just ignore all of the previous manga discussion - it made me expect a different show.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll correct myself, Zestiria's Lailah is the real best girl of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    OT: Really enjoyed Orange today. I realized I enjoy it most if I just ignore all of the previous manga discussion - it made me expect a different show.
    I actually think the show is faithful to the manga story-wise but is doing a great job of setting itself apart with great directing and doing its own thing in terms of tone and pacing. It's the same thing done two different ways and it's really making it enjoyable for me as a manga reader because it's like I'm experiencing something new instead of an adaptation.

13 episodes into Monster so far. It is not living up to the hype. It's definitely not bad, I'd even say it's good, but I was expecting much more. I figured this show would get at least a 9 from me, but as it stands I'd only give it a 7. Still, 61 episodes are left. That could very easily change.

Re-Zero episode 18: Simply fantastic.

On the complaints about the show: Same shit you hear for every show. Shit on the good parts, rag on on things you don't like, complain about attempts at being original, complain twice as much about even hints of existing tropes. The MAL poster was just embarrassing in the lapses of logic and ignorance that his post required to be worth reading.

Okay I always wondered about this and it's relevant because of today's Re:Zero episode: Why does everyone hate namedrops?
    In what way do yo mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay I always wondered about this and it's relevant because of today's Re:Zero episode: Why does everyone hate namedrops?
    I don't like them because it feels like the line is only there to be a name drop. especially when they make a big deal out of it. It takes away some of the immersion from the show when you're watching it because it makes you pay less attention to whats happening and hoping you go " oh shiiit they dropped the name" kinda thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    "In order to save the world... I must become Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Rebellion"

I don't really hate them, they just make me groan. It's alright if they're done casually (like Fight Club, or something) but if it's done during a climatic moment it feels very "haha look how clever we are!"

In novels they're okay, though.

I don't really like title drops either, but a few shows have done it right. Shigatsu was one that I thought was fantastic (thought it wasn't a pure title drop), and I thought Charlotte's was really good because it was a vague title up until that point. Nisekoi manga's wasn't bad, either.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shit, completely forgot about the one in Spice & Wolf; I didn't mind that one, either, thought it was kinda cute actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Oh shit, completely forgot about the one in Spice & Wolf; I didn't mind that one, either, thought it was kinda cute actually.
    Speaking of that, I still haven't watched my episodes for the week. Need to get on that. I recall that I had the opposite view of goriq: I liked S1 more than S2, but I haven't seen it in years now. I'm actually fairly curious what I'll think of it second time around.

Basically, name-drops occur because they're taken from a line, or idea that a writer had for a story. The vast majority of them are not intentionally planned from the get-go, but just happen to be a key line or phrase that feels right, or sums up something about the story. Writers tend not to force them into a story, but rather the opposite - they'll name the book after a name or person, or key trait of the story itself. The title can also often be derived from the core idea that a writer had for a story, from the out-set and it may end up just sticking long after.

In the case of Re:Zero, the author may have had that line in mind from the very start of his initial story structure and just knew it would be said at some point in the story. The fact that it's used to sell Subaru's renewed conviction in himself is a pretty perfect usage, whether previously planned or not. It's not just a name-drop for the sake of it, but a pivotal moment in his story and development so far.

I don't think everyone hates name drops, but the times that people really have issue with them is when they're meaningless or pointless, just saying a random, unrelated phrase, or title for no reason. Comedy films sometimes lampshade this trope, by specifically saying the name of the film, even if it has no reason to be said at that given point in time, sometimes even breaking the fourth wall to do so.