Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    As AFO's brother demonstrated, effectively "quirkless" people would still exist because certain quirks may only be able to manifest under conditions so obscure or improbable that it's possible for one to live and die having never realized they even had one.

It's possible that all of humanity has been affected by whatever event caused the appearance of quirks, and that the 20% of mankind with no apparent quirks were simply the unlucky bunch who didn't get obvious powers.
    As the years go on, quirkless people are becoming rarer and rarer.

I feel like you've just missed quite a few small details to be honest at this point. I mean, you said quirks showed up "50-100 years ago", but One for All has been passed through 9 generations already, and All for One was NOT the first quirk to appear. Assuming each user of One for All lived at least 30 years, that still gives 270 years of One for All being passed along. And I'm fairly sure All Might is not 30, considering Gran Torino was his teacher, and look at his age difference between when he first met All Might.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2018-08-08 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

I feel like you've just missed quite a few small details to be honest at this point. I mean, you said quirks showed up "50-100 years ago", but One for All has been passed through 9 generations already, and All for One was NOT the first quirk to appear. Assuming each user of One for All lived at least 30 years, that still gives 270 years of One for All being passed along. And I'm fairly sure All Might is not 30, considering Gran Torino was his teacher, and look at his age difference between when he first met All Might.
    My estimate was being conservative because of two reasons: the world's architecture, clothing, music, hobbies, entertainment, culture, etc is pretty much the same as our world, except with the addition of heroes and villains, which would imply that this setting takes place 20 minutes into the future. If society hasn't apparently changed that much, then I'd be hesitant to assume that the story takes place more than fifty years from the present day. Furthermore, I would not make the mistake of assuming that OFA was only passed on after a full generation. Given the nature of the quirk (can be passed on at will) and the implications it has for its users (OFA users are naturally going to be heroes putting their life on the line for others, risking disability or death), I'm inclined to believe that OFA was passed on several times within a generation(s). Given the nature of their line of work, it'd be imperative for OFA users to find a successor who can inherit the quirk should they fall in battle, and they may decide to pass it on within a fear years of acquiring it due to accumulated injuries, or a feeling that they no longer want to be burdened by its power (but still believe in the need for OFA). Thus, why I extended my estimate to 100 years.

While I believe that AFO is probably very well old thanks to a healing quirk he surely acquired down the line, I seriously doubt he's over a hundred years old. If he was, then the characters would've almost certainly had commented on him or some incredible villain who had endured for a very long time. We know that there was a pseudo dark age before All Might showed up, but AFO isn't mentioned as being a part of it, which leads me to believe that he was either inactive during that time or wasn't present at all. After his brother passed on his quirk, AFO isn't mentioned as having encountered OFA users until Nana Shimura, All Might's direct predecessor. I take this to assume that AFO lost track of OFA (or perhaps didn't even know OFA existed) until he ran into Nana. Furthermore, (episode 49 spoilers) AFO seems to have embraced the idea that he will be succeeded by Shigaraki and is content with remaining in prison. It came off to me as if he has accepted (or perhaps even wants) his time coming to end, and has been preparing the way for the next generation of villains. He shows no hesitation in staying behind to fight All Might, which implies that he was either going to sacrifice himself to save his pupils, or he was content with dying in battle. Either his healing quirk can't stave off the inevitable forever, or AFO has lived for so long that he has grown tired of the world and wouldn't resist death. See the "who wants to live forever" cliche for more on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    My estimate was being conservative because of two reasons: the world's architecture, clothing, music, hobbies, entertainment, culture, etc is pretty much the same as our world, except with the addition of heroes and villains, which would imply that this setting takes place 20 minutes into the future. If society hasn't apparently changed that much, then I'd be hesitant to assume that the story takes place more than fifty years from the present day. Furthermore, I would not make the mistake of assuming that OFA was only passed on after a full generation. Given the nature of the quirk (can be passed on at will) and the implications it has for its users (OFA users are naturally going to be heroes putting their life on the line for others, risking disability or death), I'm inclined to believe that OFA was passed on several times within a generation(s). Given the nature of their line of work, it'd be imperative for OFA users to find a successor who can inherit the quirk should they fall in battle, and they may decide to pass it on within a fear years of acquiring it due to accumulated injuries, or a feeling that they no longer want to be burdened by its power (but still believe in the need for OFA). Thus, why I extended my estimate to 100 years.

While I believe that AFO is probably very well old thanks to a healing quirk he surely acquired down the line, I seriously doubt he's over a hundred years old. If he was, then the characters would've almost certainly had commented on him or some incredible villain who had endured for a very long time. We know that there was a pseudo dark age before All Might showed up, but AFO isn't mentioned as being a part of it, which leads me to believe that he was either inactive during that time or wasn't present at all. After his brother passed on his quirk, AFO isn't mentioned as having encountered OFA users until Nana Shimura, All Might's direct predecessor. I take this to assume that AFO lost track of OFA (or perhaps didn't even know OFA existed) until he ran into Nana. Furthermore, (episode 49 spoilers) AFO seems to have embraced the idea that he will be succeeded by Shigaraki and is content with remaining in prison. It came off to me as if he has accepted (or perhaps even wants) his time coming to end, and has been preparing the way for the next generation of villains. He shows no hesitation in staying behind to fight All Might, which implies that he was either going to sacrifice himself to save his pupils, or he was content with dying in battle. Either his healing quirk can't stave off the inevitable forever, or AFO has lived for so long that he has grown tired of the world and wouldn't resist death. See the "who wants to live forever" cliche for more on that.
    But your information is all based on guesswork that is impossible based on simple fact from the story.

The first quirk was a glowing baby that was born.

Then from there, quirks started to show up more and more. This isn't an overnight thing, it would have to be at least two generations, which can be a good 20-40 years alone.

And as far as I recall, the "dark age" WAS because of All for one. He wasn't mentioned for the same reason Deku, a hero nerd, only heard vague rumors about him. He was erased from history, whether from his own choices or not is unsure. He became a shadow dictator to Japan. And this WAS covered in the anime, when All Might sits Deku down to first tell him of All for Ones existence.

For a minor possible manga spoiler, we also know there's exactly 9 people who had one for all before Deku did. And considering only two of them went against All for One, there's no reason to think they met premature ends.
    After all, enough time had to have gone by for All for One to be completely erased from public knowledge.

So there's no way it was "50-100 years ago".

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

In chapter 0 and there will be spoilers.

We see Nana take on All for One at the height of his powers before his first fight with All Might that injured both of them heavily. Nana smiles at All Might and makes him run away. Gran Torino say that All for One is over a 100 years old and looking for All Might, so he convinces All Might to leave Japan for America till the heat is off.
    http://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/176582147241/bnha-two-heroes-manga-all-might-rising

So 9 generations dating back a 100 years, so it could be that some holders of One for All had it longer than others or they ran into All for One and died or they passed it on quickly.

As the manga goes on we will see what happened now that Deku spoke the first holder of One For All, who talked about the Quirk Singularity of One For All.

Really can not wait to see what happens
    Last edited by BloodyAngel12; 2018-08-08 at 06:51 AM.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account

Manga got canceled because its autor was a little racist when it was 12 years old on social media.

https://www.huffingtonpost.jp/2018/0...ou_a_23469855/

But the story of it was a girl who made a tube account to cause drama to get wievs....it would be original anime for once if it was made.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we talking 2D wievs or 3D wievs.

Now that Nen has become a part of the show, it's time for me to address an aspect of HxH that I've heard constantly be touted as "one of THE best battle systems in anime" by Nux Taku, Hello Future Me, Chibi Reviews, and many, many others.

It IS well designed, but please don't act like it is somehow special because there won't be Bijuu bombs later on.

Serious question: what's there to get confused about? You have life force. You can shape it either around the body, around an object, or into a force. That's it. It isn't complicated folks. Please don't insult my intelligence by pretending it is.

I went ahead and spoiled myself on the advanced techniques and the more famous uses of Nen, and I have to say: it's nothing that I haven't seen before. At best, one could say it was the progenitor of modern battle systems and more in depth than most depicted in anime, with the 46th chapter establishing Nen having been released in 1999, but to say that it has remained one of THE deepest battle systems and stands out above the rest? I must wholeheartedly disagree.

Nine times out of ten, a magic system in fantasy is simply a way for characters to manifest things with which to attack their opponents, or to manipulate their opponent in to being injured. Classic fireballs, icicles, arcane missiles, Kamehamehas, Rasengans, Aura Spheres, Avada Kedavras, Projection magic, Absolute Terror fields, psions, Rukh, Dragon Force, Haki, Blood Battle Techniques, and so forth... they're all the same: a character conjures something out of thin air, usually dressed up as shaping their life force or the mana in the surrounding into a single thing (hello Alchemy), or the alter the properties of an existing object. The manifested object can be anything from a fireball, to a clone, to toxic gas cloud, to laserbeams, to a mundane looking object that is sharper than it looks, etc. It need not be an actual tangible thing, but a repulsive or crushing force. Nen is no different: characters either conjure things/forces with their life force (Hatsu), or they alter the properties of an existing thing with it (Zetsu, Gyo, Ko, Ken).

Let's take the classic "clone attack", and see how DBZ, Naruto, and HxH handle it, in order of how champions of HxH would naturally rate them on their "cleverness".

• In Dragonball, a character duplicates himself to attack his opponent from two directions at once.

• In Naruto, Naruto uses his Chakra to create a shadow clone, than disguises himself (the first one) as a Rasenshurkien to have the clone throw at his opponent, meaning that his foe ignores the incoming shuriken to focus on the clone (which he perceives as the original), only for the shuriken to turn back in to Naruto from behind and for the opponent to be ambushed.

• In HxH, a character charges his target and uses Hatsu to create an identical clone of himself and distract his opponent by having the clone move in the direction opposite to the original, both to encircle the opponent and ambush him.

I don't know what other people are seeing in Nen, but to me it feels like audiences seem more likely to go "woah" if there are more steps involved to do something, as if it was somehow more complicated and therefore more clever. Or maybe it's the way it's explained: Dragonball's clone attack is so obvious that it need not be explained. Naruto's version arguably requires more steps to complete, yet Fukasaku and Pain manage to explain it in ten seconds. In HxH, a character somehow spends a whole five minutes having one character laborious describing to an entire stadium each step of the clone attack, nixing off possible choices after each step is made to "deduce" what happened next, making the ordeal look like some mindblowing event. An even more prolonged explanation happens later to explain another simple attack, which is also turned in to a dramatic "mystery" in the form of a guessing game...

To claim that HxH's fights are somehow "better" or of "higher quality" than series like Dragonball or Naruto because they are "more in depth" or "don't fling aroung flashy Bijuu bombs" quite frankly comes off as snobbish, if not outright elitist. Swagkage spent twenty-eight minutes explaining Nen, and I didn't understand what all the hype was. Having seen the show, I still don't. That said, I'm fully willing to take back what I've said IF this changes later on.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2018-08-09 at 07:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How'd I end up in /r/MAL????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    How'd I end up in /r/MAL????????????????????????????
    You took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Jesus Christ Val, why not just not read the shit tier opinions of nerds on trash forums jerking off to shounen garbage?

I've never heard anyone go on about Nen before. I don't think it needs discussing and there's not really anything to talk about regarding it.

Most people discuss HxH for its plot twists and darker slant than the usual shounen tropes.

People that argue over which form of ki or chakra is best in which show are not worth anyone's time.

It's like an argument over whether blue or red lightsaber are cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Green ones ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Green ones ofc.
    Purple ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Orange ones.
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the hero academia movie was pretty good. It went by so fast for a 1h36min movie, really felt like it was your average 25min anime. It doesn't really fit into the current timeline of events (it takes place after s2 but before s3 starts) but that's only a minor issue.
    but man the final fight with Deku and All Might combination attack was frigging amazing and I've got chills when You say run started playing.

Also got the volume 0rigins manga bonus. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...6/DSC_0261.jpg
    Last edited by Millhi; 2018-08-09 at 01:52 PM.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished Kamichu! When people talk about comfy shows, they tend to mention Yuru Camp, Flying Witch, and Aria. But this show falls right into that category. The tone is very Flying Witch-like. While that show features witch magic in a comfy setting, Kamichu! is all about gods. They're everywhere, and Yurie can see them, while also being one. It's a nice day-to-day life of a middle school girl who is also a god. I was surprised at first that her being a god was public knowledge, and everybody took it so casually. But with the way the show builds the world, it makes sense in time. This show even has a blooming romance, between a super shy girl and the most oblivious boy. It's got a little bit of everything, even a Fight Club parody. One thing I would have liked to see, oddly enough, is Yurie using her god powers more. It felt like it happened very rarely, despite her having them from early on. All in all though, it's a fun, cute-girl-doing-supernatural-things show. 7.5/10, would recommend for any comfy slice of life fan.

Got lucky with my finishes this week at least, between this and ReLIFE, although I made it two episodes in Senran Kagura, and two in Ancient Magus Bride, and while I intend to finish both, I also stopped watching to move on to other shows, so that's not a good sign.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-08-09 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, I have never actually heard of Kamichu. I will have to check it out.

As for all the Nen talk up above, Val you are putting too much stock into what a bunch of fanboys who spend way to much time over analyzing their favorite series have to say. That said, it sounds like you are just now watching the Tower of Heaven arc. That is just the initial idea of Nen. It does get much more fleshed out. Wait until Biscut shows up in the Greed Island arc to really see the full extent of Nen and why I think many people say it is the "best" battle system. There is a lot more to it than just being an excuse for magic abilities.

Alicization is going to have a 1 hour long prologue episode!

Seems more likely that A1 is going to go all out and give us the 2-cours this story deserves!

I don't really post much in these parts anymore, but just dropping in to advertise for myself a little.

Project link: http://neichusanime.blogspot.com/p/gunslinger-girl.html

Gunslinger Girl is a subtle, powerful, and profound series, and has had my admiration for many years. As many of you know, these last ~10 months I have been working on an extensive analysis concerning its details. What began as merely wanting to explain and defend the series has become something more, a sort of transcription of the entire work into literary form. The final product is an amalgam of a novel, a comic, and a treatise. Below is a typical example (unfortunately, it does not format as neatly on mobile):

My goal was to produce an accessible narrative supported with images which also explained itself in the process. A self-analyzing story. In theory, one could read this without having seen the series itself, although I do not recommend that. It is far better than what I have produced. While I recognize its size is daunting, as it is a full-length book at this point, I do hope it will perhaps pique the interest of a few as to why I believe this is one of the most masterful productions in anime.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2018-08-10 at 05:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sentai is listening to their fans and are dubbing all the right recent shows https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...-anime/.135329

I'm actually a bit worried about Mitsuboshi Colors, but it will be the first show I watched dubbed after watching it in Japanese, so we'll see how that goes when it comes. The original ended up being really damn funny, comedy made right for kids.