Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey look guys, Shinra is back.

This story is ridiculous. I'd much rather 1 of him over 100 of the overly offended people of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    He still has the nobel prize get over it. He shouldn't be above repercussion because of it.
    Of course not above repercussions, but a complete ostracism from the scientific community for this kind of joke is absurd. This is the problem with social justice, it's more about straight up revenge than actual justice, and the truth need not apply. Example? Your original post. You completely misrepresented what happened, and then you somehow bring white privilege into the fold. Seriously, lynch mobs of the internet need to chill out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Political correctness bullshit going too far again. An esteemed old fellow isn't allowed to make one silly comment without having his life torn apart. It absolutely disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    He got fired over a joke. What privalege?
    You can downplay it as a 'just a joke' all you like but if I used this same logic for a white man making a racially motivated joke at a civil rights movement event would be acceptable when in practice a racist joke is not acceptable so why should a sexist one be? 'oh but he's old' exactly he's an old failing man he should enjoy his last years instead of running off the papers crying when criticised which is ironic considering his joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a pertinent point to mention his ethnicity because being white gives him a whole lot of privilege that many people lack
    This is a stupid statement. You cannot judge the conditions of a person's life by their skin color alone. You have absolutely no knowledge past a quick google search about this man's life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

I think it's a pertinent point to mention his ethnicity because being white gives him a whole lot of privilege that many people lack and it demonstrates his ignorance and insensitivity to gender issues.

I don't see why you're upset that I mentioned he's white. You appear to have taken it as an attack on all white men.
    You mean it isn't? Your post screamed someone who had their feels hurt. He shouldn't of been fired - he should of at BEST had a warning. Clear case here of 'social justice' BS.

i dont think hes sexist, he made a joke, he probably as aspergers like most scientist and wasnt good at making it a joke.

You can downplay it as a 'just a joke' all you like
    Yes I can because you completely misrepresented his joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    If my company sent me to a conference and I made an ignorant remark criticising the group of people that the conference was made for then I wouldn't be surprised to get fired. This is all that's happened here. He's been fired from his job because he has embarrassed his employers.

He still has the nobel prize get over it. He shouldn't be above repercussion because of it.
    His employers didn't send him to the conference, he was invited, and the conference he attended was for science journalism not female scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Of course not above repercussions, but a complete ostracism from the scientific community for this kind of joke is absurd. This is the problem with social justice, it's more about straight up revenge than actual justice, and the truth need not apply. Example? Your original post. You completely misrepresented what happened, and then you somehow bring white privilege into the fold. Seriously, lynch mobs of the internet need to chill out.
    His comments and subsequent weak apology were far below the standards of a professional scientist. It made him sound like a bit of a tit.

"Silly", "mild", "just harmless fun"...

We're so used to sexism that we're not able to see what's right in front of us. He's a sexist old fool.

We are creating a society of victims and hyper-sensitive people, what a wonderful future we have ahead.

Deleted
    He's a sexist old fool.
    He was not opressed enough to joke.

What's the big deal? Fuck that guy. Why shouldn't they sack him? He's a useless old tool. He was just a "honorary professor", meaning, he does jack shit and they only let him fart around the place for the prestige because he got himself a Nobel Prize 15 years ago. And his moronic social views and remarks aren't exactly positive prestige.

Im offended as a white male for beeing put in the white male category, so i demand justice!

15+ Year Old Account
    He's a sexist old fool.
    Even if that were true, so what? The world is full of sexist old fools.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's extremely privileged as a white male
    Abandon ship! Head for the hills!

Deleted
    "Let me tell you about my trouble with girls … three things happen when they are in the lab … You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticise them, they cry."

This doesnt belong anywhere joke or not

Deleted
    I think it's a pertinent point to mention his ethnicity because being white gives him a whole lot of privilege

- - - Updated - - -professorship.

could you maybe give us a couple examples?

I think it's a pertinent point to mention his ethnicity because being white gives him a whole lot of privilege that many people lack and it demonstrates his ignorance and insensitivity to gender issues.

I don't see why you're upset that I mentioned he's white. You appear to have taken it as an attack on all white men.
    The colour of a persons skin doesn't have any influence on that persons ability to percieve problems or issues.
    The fact that you judge him and his qualities based on his skin colour is blatant racism.

And yes, when you make deductions based on a persons skin colour, it is an attack on all people who share that skin colour.

This is basic Tumblr 101: thinking you're defending someone by being racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Yes I can because you completely misrepresented his joke.
    No he said to the bbc that his joke was honest and that he believed some of what he said that doesn't sound like much of an apology to me especially with so many already having a hard time in science because of centuries of misogyny.

I really dislike the argument that says he should be forgiven because of his contribution to science. He shouldn't be on those grounds. We've finally managed to address historical abuse cases against celebrities who were seen as untouchable - I don't believe anyone is above being reprimanded as necessary. But if he had properly apologised, I would have supported him.

If he'd apologised, and retracted his comment, I'd have supported him. I don't think we can have comments like this (even a 'joke' gone wrong, because the line between jokes and bullying can be a wavy one) accepted, especially by prominent field leaders in positions of power - however in his apology he didn't seem at all repentant.