Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

NAACP leader Rachel Dolezal resigns amid controversy over ethnicity

Rachel Dolezal stepped down from her position as the president of an NAACP chapter in Washington State on Monday – days after her ethnic identity became a national controversy.

The civil rights activist, 37, made the announcement in an open letter – posted on Facebook – to the organization’s executive committee and members.

“It is with complete allegiance to the cause of racial and social justice and the NAACP that I step aside from the Presidency and pass the baton to my Vice President, Naima Quarles-Burnley,” she wrote.

Dolezal said that her administration in Spokane has been dedicated to fighting against injustices that face the African-American community, such as police brutality, biased school curriculums and economic disenfranchisement.

“And yet, the dialogue has unexpectedly shifted internationally to my personal identity in the context of defining race and ethnicity,” she wrote.

According to Dolezal, challenging the “construct of race” is central to “evolving human consciousness.”

However, she said, this conversation should not distract from the big issues that affect millions, often with life or death consequences.

Dolezal vowed to always fight for “what is right and good in this world” and thanked everyone who had supported her throughout the media firestorm.

Last week, the woman’s ethnicity became a major news story after Lawrence and Ruthanne Dolezal, a white couple from Montana, identified themselves as her biological parents.

They said that their daughter is mainly of German and Czech descent, despite having identified herself publicly as biracial.

The NAACP released a statement Friday in support of Dolezal.

It says the NAACP stands behind her advocacy record and that a person's race does not qualify or disqualify him or her from taking leadership roles within the organization.

http://news.yahoo.com/rachel-dolezal...60937684.html#

I have no problem with or see nothing wrong with someone adopting a culture they wasn't born in
    but the question I have is why did she feel the need in lying about her ethnicity? did she feel she wouldn't be fully accepted in that culture if she didn't?
    did she do so thinking she needed to to gain positions in the NAACP and the university that predominately are held by blacks?

A lot of people in the US claim ancestry that they don't have, a lot say they are part Native American for example. A lot of people believe this because their parents told them they were but often times a DNA test says otherwise.

I'm not sure why she wanted to be black, seems like black people have a tough time in the US for the most part.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I have no problem with or see nothing wrong with someone adopting a culture they wasn't born in
    but the question I have is why did she feel the need in lying about her ethnicity?
    In USA? You have lots of privileges for "people of color" for example. Schools/jobs etc. favor and have quotas for certain minorities. Therefore the whole "I'm black even though I'm white" can't be allowed there.

Now, across the pond, here in Finland, it wouldn't mean anything as we don't have such privileges for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Does someone need to be black to fight for black rights? The only problem I see is the lying.
    I don't think anyone has a problem with people from a different ancestry fighting for rights. As you say, the stupid thing is lying about it - which instantly makes you think she was doing it more for an ego-trip than any genuine empathy.

Why do we even have race or ethnicity identifiers on government forms?

It shouldn't be relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm not sure why she wanted to be black, seems like black people have a tough time in the US for the most part.
    Not when they are educated and hold a respectful position they don't. I mean she is female and if she also claims to be a minority she has first dibs at any and every job she applies for. Since the college she got her masters degree from screwed up and gave her a full scholarship because they thought she was black and gave her shit about her thesis I guess it was easier for her to pretend to be black.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post

Because they want the data to use in analytics for topics like social mobility from different backgrounds. It allows better targeting of policies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post

Because without that information Fox couldn't run their "good christian whites will soon be minorities" stories.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

They never would have hired her if they knew she was white.

people don't lie especially an elaborate lie and ask others to lie for you unless you felt you had something to gain from that lie
    what was it she felt she was gaining from that lie?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I just thought it was ironic she was fired for the color of her skin, rather than her merits.

Full circle!
    no she was fired for lying and deceiving it had nothing to do with the color of her skin unless you are implying the NAACP is racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    but the question I have is why did she feel the need in lying about her ethnicity? did she feel she wouldn't be fully accepted in that culture if she didn't?
    did she do so thinking she needed to to gain positions in the NAACP and the university that predominately are held by blacks?
    Most likely to illicit support.

Heh, thats funny. No she was fired for not being black, lets be real. If she lied and deceived about stealing a donut from the lunch room she wouldn't have been fired... it's because she lied about being black.
    Can someone be fired who identifies as a woman, but is actually a man, for lying about calling themselves a woman?

The whole thing is asinine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Maybe she didn't think she was lying, maybe she really thought she was black.
    then she needed to be let go for her to seek mental help. there was nothing in her genetics or family history to even suggest she had any black in her. hell all she had to do is look at her picture of her self when she was a child
    Even transsexuals know they where physically born a male or female even though they felt like the opposite in their minds

Heh, thats funny. No she was fired for not being black, lets be real. If she lied and deceived about stealing a donut from the lunch room she wouldn't have been fired... it's because she lied about being black.
    Im trying to give the NAACP the benefit of the doubt

Deleted
    There's some stories I can only shake my head at. This is one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean they may have been justified, all i was saying was that it's really ironic that a group like the NAACP fired a person for not being the right skin color.
    Maybe i'm reading wrong, the quote in the OP says "she stepped down". Stepped down != fired?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's weird of you, Vyxn. Don't you hate the NAACP? I would have thought you would be criticizing them too.
    I think he's being disingenuous (for pretty much the entire thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    In USA? You have lots of privileges for "people of color" for example. Schools/jobs etc. favor and have quotas for certain minorities. Therefore the whole "I'm black even though I'm white" can't be allowed there.

Now, across the pond, here in Finland, it wouldn't mean anything as we don't have such privileges for anyone.
    It is called Affermative Action. It is why here in the US you have minorities with GPAs of 3.0 get into universities over students with GPAs with 4.0. Sad but true.

Deleted
    If Bruce Jenner can be a woman just because he thinks he is, why can't this woman be black?
    Last edited by mmoca61d610cb9; 2015-06-15 at 06:38 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    It is called Affermative Action. It is why here in the US you have minorities with GPAs of 3.0 get into universities over students with GPAs with 4.0. Sad but true.
    And u have lots of minorities with 4.0 gpa that wont get in over white ppl so ur creating the problem urself.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    — Winston Churchill