10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Were the tattoo guys even in the original? I'm about 7 hours into the original right and have seen no trace of them yet.

As for Sephiroth's reason for being around so much, it's heavily implied that he knows the future and is attempting to change things. The problem is the whispers won't let him change things and keep getting in his way so he basically lures Cloud and friends into dealing with the whispers for him.
    "House" on the left of Sector 5 and I think also Wall Market but I'm not entirely sure.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Were the tattoo guys even in the original? I'm about 7 hours into the original right and have seen no trace of them yet.

As for Sephiroth's reason for being around so much, it's heavily implied that he knows the future and is attempting to change things. The problem is the whispers won't let him change things and keep getting in his way so he basically lures Cloud and friends into dealing with the whispers for him.
    The tattoo guys definitely were. They start popping up here and there (pretty sure the first encounter is in Midgar), but it’s something that’s brushed off as “okay, weird. Moving on.” They start becoming more prominent later on. Looking it up to confirm some things (it’s been about 20 years since I played the original) they are test subjects that were able to be controlled by Sephiroth later in the story.
    As for Sephiroth being there, it’s still not necessary at this point. Midgar (in the beginning) has so much story around it that we didn’t even need a point for him to be there except as a mentioned plot point.
    It just seems like they wanted to cram so much in they took away from later on. SE also used so much fan service/homages in the final 20-40 minutes of gameplay it’s almost like that all it was. The final fight was basically Advent Children, while the final cinematic was almost straight ripped from the original game. Zack has almost no purpose at this point and was mentioned much later in the story also.

Well apparently the Ultimania book came out and confirmed Deepground is under sector 7. Which is the second thing alluding to events that could lead to Genesis showing up. Which would be terrible, but if Square gets Gackts likeness rights again then maybe Crisis Core will finally be freed from UMD hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it’s very linear, but FF7 was even more so in Midgar. I mean they added a lot of fluff, the side quests are mostly worthless, I did them out of completions sake. Loved the game, but it’s not without it’s faults.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    In before the whole remake is actually set in the future and Cloud now has dementia and is just dreaming all of this first part or something.
    My personal favourite Nomura-tier bullshit theory is that this timeline's Cloud is actually Zack, who absorbed the original timeline's memories of having absorbed Zack's (along with his appearance); there's no Zack and Cloud entering Midgar together because Cloud was the one who died in this timeline.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    The tattoo guys definitely were. They start popping up here and there (pretty sure the first encounter is in Midgar), but it’s something that’s brushed off as “okay, weird. Moving on.” They start becoming more prominent later on. Looking it up to confirm some things (it’s been about 20 years since I played the original) they are test subjects that were able to be controlled by Sephiroth later in the story.
    As for Sephiroth being there, it’s still not necessary at this point. Midgar (in the beginning) has so much story around it that we didn’t even need a point for him to be there except as a mentioned plot point.
    It just seems like they wanted to cram so much in they took away from later on. SE also used so much fan service/homages in the final 20-40 minutes of gameplay it’s almost like that all it was. The final fight was basically Advent Children, while the final cinematic was almost straight ripped from the original game. Zack has almost no purpose at this point and was mentioned much later in the story also.
    Except as he said there is direct context for why Sephiroth is there earlier. Since they are going in an alternate timeline story where Sephiroth knows of his defeat, why would he show up later? Knowing you lose is plently enough reason to take actions earlier in the story... You are still trying to reason as if its the same game story, but its just not. In this new timeline, him not showing up earlier, makes him stupid. I know i lost, but im gona wait and reveal myself later, just like when i lost last time. Thats the whole point its not a remake of the game, its a new game. It also forced people to play the original, advent and crisis core. Which many new players actually did, are doing. Because this got them interested big time. I know at least a dozen people around me that bought the switch version of ff7 because of this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say the 5 player characters (4.5 technically I suppose) in the game were all done well, I really don’t have a single nitpick about any of them. Red is particularly well done, like 100% nailed him.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the highlights of the game

Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2020-05-01 at 02:52 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Except as he said there is direct context for why Sephiroth is there earlier. Since they are going in an alternate timeline story where Sephiroth knows of his defeat, why would he show up later? Knowing you lose is plently enough reason to take actions earlier in the story... You are still trying to reason as if its the same game story, but its just not. In this new timeline, him not showing up earlier, makes him stupid. I know i lost, but im gona wait and reveal myself later, just like when i lost last time. Thats the whole point its not a remake of the game, its a new game. It also forced people to play the original, advent and crisis core. Which many new players actually did, are doing. Because this got them interested big time. I know at least a dozen people around me that bought the switch version of ff7 because of this game.
    I'll add an out of character reasoning why you can't keep him hidden for so long. How do you do an FF7 game with a character that might be the most well known villain in the video game world and keep him in the background subtly when the reveal is basically what everyone knows. A change for Sephiroth being shown really was needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I'll add an out of character reasoning why you can't keep him hidden for so long. How do you do an FF7 game with a character that might be the most well known villain in the video game world and keep him in the background subtly when the reveal is basically what everyone knows. A change for Sephiroth being shown really was needed.
    Whoa, pump your breaks, son. Maybe the most well know FF villain.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2020-05-01 at 02:55 AM.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Bump your breaks son. Maybe most well know FF villain.
    well I said might be for a reason :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    By that logic, why even do a remake at all? You can't hit any of the existing plot points and have it be a surprise.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    By that logic, why even do a remake at all? You can't hit any of the existing plot points and have it be a surprise.
    Remakes are not meant to be 100% the same, you want 100% the same but with better graphics, remasters are for you. Remakes are meant to be things change but the major plot points are the same. Which FF7R is.

they hit all the origonal plots in the remake just added extra, it is pretty obvious they wouldnt go for a 100% copy of the origional but cover the same story with more depth and some slight deviations.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    they hit all the origonal plots in the remake just added extra, it is pretty obvious they wouldnt go for a 100% copy of the origional but cover the same story with more depth and some slight deviations.
    You're arguing against an imaginary position; I never said the story should be exactly the same; expanding on the original story was always necessary and desirable, but at no point does that require fucking Time Jannies trying to stop Sephiroth from undoing his death.

Kallisto's logic was that because everybody knows who Sephiroth is, the remake has to do something different with him.

That's like saying Lucas should've changed Darth Vader's identity for the remastered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy, because everybody knew who the fuck he was.

You're arguing against an imaginary position; I never said the story should be exactly the same; expanding on the original story was always necessary and desirable, but at no point does that require fucking Time Jannies trying to stop Sephiroth from undoing his death.

Kallisto's logic was that because everybody knows who Sephiroth is, the remake has to do something different with him.

That's like saying Lucas should've changed Darth Vader's identity for the remastered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy, because everybody knew who the fuck he was.
    Even in the origional you still met sephiroth before leaving midgard and you he was going to be one of your main enemies, who cares if they add a little more things, just means the game will last a little longer.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

You and a lot of people seem to confuse a remake with a remaster. A remake involve recreating the original from scratch, it still has the same story but its expected for there to be changes because a game made 20 years ago can't be expected to hold up against modern standards. You also wouldn't use the exact same twists because they wouldn't have the same impact since everyone already knows them, for example, there is no reason to keep Sephiroth hidden when everyone already knows about him. Nor is there any point in pretending we don't already know that Aerith dies. The creators want to find new ways to surprise us not tell the same old story we already know.

A remaster is just taking the original and making it look better, maybe improve some things but it's still ultimately the exact same game.

Also, I guarantee if Lucas remade Star Wars he wouldn't try to keep Vader's identity a secret because what the hell would be the point? Not like you're gonna be able to surprise audiences with it again.

No, FF7R feels more like a reboot, honestly. Already changing some of the previous continuity, and we have no idea how much more will change along the way.

A "remake" suggests that it follows the previous material. Sure, the line might be a little blurry here, but points of the plot are already somewhat altered.
    At this point, it’s not even a remake. Someone pages back said it is more like FF7.5, but it’s more like a different game using FF7 as it’s backdrop. Or even FF7-2.

No, FF7R feels more like a reboot, honestly. Already changing some of the previous continuity, and we have no idea how much more will change along the way.

A "remake" suggests that it follows the previous material. Sure, the line might be a little blurry here, but points of the plot are already somewhat altered.
    Except they haven't actually changed anything yet. They've added some things and expanded on others but otherwise, they have hit all the same plot points from the original. The creators have even stated that they aren't changing the story just changing the way it's told as you'd expect of a remake.

Sometimes the AI in this game is real real dumb. Fighting a Behemoth in the SCS with Cloud, Aerith, and Barrett and I wasted an entire phase of a crippled lower body healing them because they stayed in melee getting hit by it’s slam. Even after manually controlling them and running out, they just ran back in. Really pissed me off.

I mean, there are clearly differences. Even if it's just the suggestion of certain things.
    They're supposed to have gone on record saying from here on in they won't be changing anything drastically:

https://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/616804865416527872

If we follow this Remake’s story, then the next installment might have major changes compared to the original, right?

Kitase: I’ve talked about this extensively with Nomura, but I’m sure fans of the original are expecting to revisit familiar locations and scenes, so we have strong feelings to not stray away from that. From here on out, we’re not drastically changing the story and making it into something completely different than the original. Even though it’s a Remake, please assume that FF7 will still be FF7 as usual.

Nojima: For me, I create scenarios that follow the general flow of the original story but with the assumption that the way things are presented or how events occur might be slightly different.
    That being said it's obviously not clear what they intend to do with the stuff that happened at the end of Part 1, they can't leave it unaddressed.