Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    FF7 is one of my favorites .. not my favorite FF game. FF9 here. But I am excited to see a remake of FF7, it was a very good game and had the stars align in it's favor to make it the most played FF by a long shot, even by people who had never played an FF game before. The combination of might, magic and high technology was something I was wondering why no one had done until then.

The sad thing is, magazines were so set on hyping FF7, they overlooked a few other excellent RPG titles and said "don't buy these things, just wait for FF7, these aren't worth it." When they were.
    It was done in ff6, chrono trigger, and phantasy star games.

FF12 is also pretty much that. The airships, armies, and the technical stuff were all powered by magic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    The mysteries of the open world in FF7/8 and not so much 9 made the games go from 30-40hours to upwards 100hours but more importantly it made the world you were playing the game exciting. Finding secret weapons or materia. Getting your ass handed to you by a monster far to powerful for you. Those were good times. I don't want a CGI fest I'd rather watch a movie.
    But they weren't technically "open". Yes you had access to the world map but you were restricted to a few areas due to either your current method of transport ect.

Example: When you finish Midgar in FF7 first disk you can't go back into it (well you can open up a section where the door is locked). You have access to the world map but you can only explore a certain area of that continent which included the Chocobo farm, Kalm and the cave that progressed the story.

It wasn't as open as people are making out. The world map slowly becomes more open ended as you progress the story. This was true for FF7, 8 and 9.

Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    But they weren't technically "open". Yes you had access to the world map but you were restricted to a few areas due to either your current method of transport ect.

Example: When you finish Midgar in FF7 first disk you can't go back into it (well you can open up a section where the door is locked). You have access to the world map but you can only explore a certain area of that continent which included the Chocobo farm, Kalm and the cave that progressed the story.

It wasn't as open as people are making out. The world map slowly becomes more open ended as you progress the story. This was true for FF7, 8 and 9.
    Yes, you opened it up as you progressed and got access to more forms of travel until eventually, you had access to the world. That's the point. Perhaps an open world is a poor choice of words. A world map is a better choice. A world map that you travel across adds a feeling of the size. The removal of the world map in 10 was one of my biggest peeves. A well scaled map is a useful tool for immersion. And FF stories are MADE for immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    there is nothing convenient about wanting to talk about a specific topic while it's being drowned in other topics but hey cool whatever
    Deal with it, you made a new thread regarding a topic that is actually being discussed in this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Yes, you opened it up as you progressed and got access to more forms of travel until eventually, you had access to the world. That's the point. Perhaps an open world is a poor choice of words. A world map is a better choice. A world map that you travel across adds a feeling of the size. The removal of the world map in 10 was one of my biggest peeves. A well scaled map is a useful tool for immersion. And FF stories are MADE for immersion.
    My point being people sound like they are going to flame if they don't have access to the whole world map. IMO the first episode should allow you to explore a section of the continent (not the entire map).

In the later/final episodes yes, there should be a fully explorable world map.

This shit is finally happening btw, and I don't see many people talking about it(obviously not here but in general either).

They announced a FFVII concert which is literally during e3 weekend in LA: https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/sta...59999633121280

Expect the announcement of the announcement to happen right there so you tune into their e3 briefing the next day. Late 2019/early 2020 release written all over it at this point given their investor briefing statements of a major release scheduled then.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-04-28 at 08:00 AM.

Can Barret not have sun glasses please.

It shows they dont understand the character or are just doing a complete overhaul, which asks the question why even bother
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-04-28 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This shit is finally happening btw, and I don't see many people talking about it(obviously not here but in general either).

They announced a FFVII concert which is literally during e3 weekend in LA: https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/sta...59999633121280

Expect the announcement of the announcement to happen right there so you tune into their e3 briefing the next day. Late 2019/early 2020 release written all over it at this point given their investor briefing statements of a major release scheduled then.
    I still expect it to actually be the Avengers game that comes out and not FF7.

Honestly if it is FF7 (as a big FF7 fan) I think its going to be a fucken rushed mess.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I still expect it to actually be the Avengers game that comes out and not FF7.

Honestly if it is FF7 (as a big FF7 fan) I think its going to be a fucken rushed mess.
    There is no way in hell it's not VIIR now. You don't just randomly decide to do a VII concert in the city e3 is at during e3 weekend, for the first time ever just for the hell of it lol.

I also don't think we can judge how rushed it is at all. We have no idea what the fuck it even is or how much work was put into it until they show it to us.

No matter what, it will not be as good as people will be expecting nor will it be possible for it to be like that. There will be changes to modernize it as the player base has gotten older and the market has shifted drastically away from what FF7 was when it came out. Think of this, the game is 22 years old. It is old enough to have a job and kids.

I also don't think we can judge how rushed it is at all. We have no idea what the fuck it even is or how much work was put into it until they show it to us.
    But we do know that the development of it since its announcement has been scrapped what 2 times now. I'm just not holding my breath on it being anything decent.

You are likely right that its VIIR just because of the concert, But Square has made dumb choices in the past before so I don't put anything pass them.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no way in hell it's not VIIR now. You don't just randomly decide to do a VII concert in the city e3 is at during e3 weekend, for the first time ever just for the hell of it lol.
    Can’t wait for Squeenix to announce the Avengers game... and then in the last five mins of the talk be all “And I know you want news of VIIR, trust us, it’s coming! But for now, to scratch that itch, we’re hosting a huge concert, with lots of music you’ll hear in the game... if we ever release it!”
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    It did look like you could switch between who you're inputting for on the fly, from what I recall
    Well, that is not the same as controlling all three at the same time.

I hope people can stop blaming him for everything now.

Posting this here because he's the FF7R director.

I wonder if they're just going ahead with this game because they already put it up for sale with the previous "remake"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think they’re going ahead with it because people have been demanding it for decades.
    I think they're going ahead with it because even if it ends up being a meh remake they will still make bank off it.

But yea when Square ships this game in the next 7 months a lot of people will be eating some crow, switching to Unreal instead of in house garbage is the best move they have made and should allow them to ship 1 big RPG a year like the square of old. They literally went from shipping World of FF and FFXV for the first 2/3rds of the gen to shipping DQXI, KH3 and soon FFVIIR thanks to switching over.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-08 at 08:06 PM.

I think they’re going ahead with it because people have been demanding it for decades.
    Well im not an investor of square enix so im more interested in quality of product than how much their shareholders earn.

Right, people have been demanding it so they’re going to make bank. Glad you agree.
    It will make bank because it's a large budget FF game, not because people demanded it. In fact looking at the sales of XIII and XV the fact it's a remake of VII instead of an entirely new game is probably only gonna net it a million or so more sales at most and that's me being optimistic. Actually depending on how long it stays PS exclusive it might not even outsell XIII or XV if we're being honest...

I’m interested in revisiting a more modern version of this game regardless of quality. If it’s terrible we can always see about doing a fan remix that’s up to snuff.
    The time for Don Corneo has been and gone imo, bet they wont have the balls to do fun characters like that and have that Japan charm. It's always forced western garbage now. They havent done a good FF solo player game in over a decade