10+ Year Old Account

Using Windows as a Gateway

Can anyone tell me if there is some software other than windows ICS which allows you to essentially turn a standard windows install into a WAN gateway offering DHCP etc... to all connected machines behind it?

Setup:
    2x ADSL connections - (over ethernet)
    1x 3G connection - via 3g router (over ethernet)

1x Speedify VPN to bond the 3 WAN connections.

Speedify is presented to the local computer as a virtual network adapter which the OS can use as a default gateway you can even share this connecting using any of the wifi hotspot tools or connectify (makers of speedify). However I would also like to share it with wired devices on the network. Are there any options for doing this without using windows ICS? (so far I have had no luck in attempts to use ICS)

Used Kerio WinRoute long time ago (over ten years back). Quick googling says there's free "lite" version available but no idea if it has some crippling limitations that makes it unusable for your purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    CentOS? Any reason it has to be Windows? Also you could run Windows in a virtual machine in CentOS.

I'm not familiar with speedify, but it does seem to be a paid service. Any reason why you don't just use pfsense to do the multi WAN and CARP setup?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    CentOS? Any reason it has to be Windows? Also you could run Windows in a virtual machine in CentOS.
    Windows because then I don't need to set-up another machine to be a gateway which while easy to do (now that I essentially have a spare i7-2600k) does mean setting up another rig that draws more power from the wall to perform a function that could easily be done in the background of another machine that is already on 24/7 with no impact on daily usage.

If I can't find any other solution, then yes, I'll probably end up setting up a CentOS box to use as a gateway / home router assuming I can manage to get speedify to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I'm not familiar with speedify, but it does seem to be a paid service. Any reason why you don't just use pfsense to do the multi WAN and CARP setup?
    pfSense only does load balancing, it won't do channel bonding. (IE a single TCP stream has to continuously use the same interface) And if you don't use sticky sessions, you end up with all sorts of mess when trying to actually do anything.

When each of your links is only capable of 1-3mbps you want to combine them to get faster, not just use them redundantly.
    To get channel bonding you would need to use a multi channel VPN and reform it at a external server/router which would then combine each of the streams into a single coherent stream.

CARP is also very difficult to implement with a traditional UK consumer/small business ISP to have any effect on the WAN side.

Additionally, paying for speedify costs less and is more flexible than running my own external servers dedicated for the primary purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solved it, ended up giving in and just buying Connectify using coupon DEAL70 which seems to do the trick, although I'm not yet convinced if it works or not.