Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Blizzard realized they had no other choice...

MoP and WoD definitely feel to me like filler expansions, meant to extend the game as much as possible, milk it if you will. I'm not saying MoP was a bad expansion, I think it was a fine piece, I'm not very pleased with WoD though. Probably they thought to make some more filler expansions, but WoD showed them that the users want the game to be put on its original tracks, so we get Legion, where Blizzard pretty much showed off their most powerful cards on the table.

Now, I'm quite hyped about it and really glad that the game will continue in a more familiar setting, but I'm also wondering if this also means Legion is the last WoW expansion of any real value. What I mean by this is if they wrap up the Burning Legion story, what is there left for us that can actually be more epic? Illidan, Demon Hunters, Burning Legion, Sargeras - can't see any other story line beating this.

Thoughts?

Are we at the brink of WoW's last true expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead. And that World of Warcraft... died with him"

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Titans and Emerald Dream.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead. And that World of Warcraft... died with him"
    But WoW continued on for several more years after Wotlk, and had plenty of players still playing - and still HAS.

So, obviously, you're wrong.

Deleted
    Why would new lore like Pandaria be filler? It's just a new story in the Warcraft universe, doesn't mean it's filler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    But WoW continued on for several more years after Wotlk, and had plenty of players still playing - and still HAS.

So, obviously, you're wrong.
    Let the nostalgia freaks have their way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Great job, keep it up! If you spam it enough, maybe, just maybe it will become true!

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Let the nostalgia freaks have their way.
    You do realize that half of the new expansion (and heck, even this current one) is obviously nostalgae-based, right?

EDIT: on the note of that quote - I've been using it for years, but TBH I keep it as I'm just lazy in changing it. IMO Pandaria was the one time Warcraft came back to being a true MMORPG. I do have very cautious hopes that Legion will go this route (seems to be a way for me that they alternate - like there's a "team awesome (wrath/pandaria) and team suckass (Cata/WoD) that alternate. :P)

Deleted
    Here are a couple of ideas where the story can go on:
    1. Stop the legion invasion - We cannot kill Sargeras without help from Titans. No Titans no Sargeras.
    2. Azshara and N'Zoth.
    3. Other Old Gods.
    4. The Void
    5. Finally end the war between alliance and horde.
    6. Trolls and LOA.
    7. Add new bad guys.

The list can go on and on.

I don't see why that would be the case. The legion will not be destroyed in this expansion. I also don't think that every expansion where we're not fighting the demons directly are fillers. That would mean that there has only been one real expansion, which I must dispute. Even IF the legion was eradicated or sealed off from our world forever, we still have the old gods, the scourge, and the titans to worry about.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You do realize that half of the new expansion (and heck, even this current one) is obviously nostalgae-based, right?

EDIT: on the note of that quote - I've been using it for years, but TBH I keep it as I'm just lazy in changing it. IMO Pandaria was the one time Warcraft came back to being a true MMORPG. I do have very cautious hopes that Legion will go this route (seems to be a way for me that they alternate - like there's a "team awesome (wrath/pandaria) and team suckass (Cata/WoD) that alternate. :P)
    So? Doesnt mean people gonna shout that obv retarded qoute around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullpointer View Post
    What I mean by this is if they wrap up the Burning Legion story, what is there left for us that can actually be more epic? Illidan, Demon Hunters, Burning Legion, Sargeras - can't see any other story line beating this.
    No, this won't be the last expansion unless sub numbers crash to loss making levels. You assume that Sargeras will appear. I don't think we will face him off. Also Azshara will not be killed this expac in my opinion.

So we still have at least two VERY plausible story lines with Azshara/N'Zoth and the famous world of Argus with Sargeras.

And then there are many many possibilities. There is still one old god whose name we don't even know. So they will use a lot of their lore ammunition this expac - which I like - but they have much left to tell as long as there is a paying audience.
    They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullpointer View Post
    MoP and WoD definitely feel to me like filler expansions, meant to extend the game as much as possible, milk it if you will. I'm not saying MoP was a bad expansion, I think it was a fine piece, I'm not very pleased with WoD though. Probably they thought to make some more filler expansions, but WoD showed them that the users want the game to be put on its original tracks, so we get Legion, where Blizzard pretty much showed off their most powerful cards on the table.
    The Blizzard devs had been noted saying that WoD would flow into the next expansion before 6.1 was even released so unless you want to call Legion a filler expansion as well. Let it been known that despite all that was said and "promised" that Blizzard did keep their word on this particular bit.

7+ Year Old Account
    how the fuck was MoP a "filler"?

10+ Year Old Account
    But Alleria and Turalyon are returning just like you wanted!

Oh but not at the head of a playable High Elf army...

Tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Locknrollen View Post
    how the fuck was MoP a "filler"?
    Didn't have one of the Big Bads (Illidan, Azshara, Deathwing, Arthas, etc.)?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Well filler doesn't neccessarily have to mean bad.

But I somewhat agree - WoW used to have a pretty clear story direction, that was absolutely hijacked by expansions that came out of nowhere (MoP, WoD).
    every story comes "out of nowhere" at some point, so no it is not filler, it's called expanding the universe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Didn't have one of the Big Bads (Illidan, Azshara, Deathwing, Arthas, etc.)?
    so once all those are dead the WoW universe should just end?

i guess new threats are impossible to happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Starting Cataclysm we had this whole filler-style expansions galore that eroded the lore and the patience of many Warcraft fans. With Legion, we are finally returning back to the main story - continuation of our struggle against the no.1 most recognizable and original threat.

This fact alone makes me excited, because I was growing impatient with expansion after expansion either derailing the story or tossing us in the middle of nowhere with no relation to main plot whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Korthraxw View Post
    so once all those are dead the WoW universe should just end?

i guess new threats are impossible to happen
    I didn't say anything. But some people thought WoW ended after Wrath and that everything else is just milking the franchise. Think about that. Also I was giving a guess as to why someone would think Mists was filler.