Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I am willing to give up Metamorphosis with minimal fuss under two conditions: One, we get Pandaren warlocks. Two, Demonology turns into a proper summoner specialization where we're able to fight with multiple minions and our abilities consist of summoning temporary lesser demons to deal damage.

To iterate on the "Wild imps as a filler spell' idea, nothing says the imps have to be actual pets or npcs that can be interacted with. They wouldn't work so well as a direct damage ability, but 'demons as a visual effect' would work well for a damage over time ability. Say, instead of a weird purple cloud on a target afflicted with Corruption, an imp 'spawned' (really just a visual effect, like monk healing globes or spriest phantasms) and just 'attacked' on each tick of dot damage. Give it a Necrotic Plague treatment, where the same dot stacks numerous times, each time producing a new imp, lasting for the duration of the debuff. Maybe cause shadowbolt to refresh/reapply a stack of this debuff, but definitely cap it at something reasonable (like maybe 5 or 6) to reduce visual clutter.

Granted, this sort of 'stack damage over time and maintain duration with direct damage' playstyle would fit Affliction better in my opinion, and is basically Unholy death knights using necrotic plague, but the basic concept isn't too unrealistic. Rather than micromanaging a thousand different actual demons, you just need the illusion of them. Another example could be the old ret version of the paladin's Guardian of Ancient Kings, where the guardian was cast on a target and attacked, but wasn't a full pet, or even entity. Just a flashy damage over time. Maybe create a debuff or proc where, when your demon damages a marked target, there is a chance to summon in a duplicate demon for a brief time (probably with an ICD equal to the duration, with a high proc chance). The 'bonus' demon could even vary based on how you mark the target or even be a buff you cast on yourself.

For example:
    Invocation of Searing Gates
    Self-Buff, 30 minute duration
    Utters a fiery invocation that weakens the veil between the Nether and the Warlock, allowing their attacks to momentarily open gates into a hellish part of the Twisting Nether. When dealing damage with Soulfire, there is a chance to cause a Felhound (those skeletal, burning hounds we see here and there) to gate in and attack the target, dealing X fire damage over 12 seconds, with a 6 second internal cooldown.

Note the ICD is less than the duration, so you could have multiple stacks of this dot, summoning multiple demons. A different version could summon say, a void wraith (the skinny voidwalkers) that deals more damage, but is limited to one at a time.

There don't need to be any actual npcs summoned, just visuals for them dealing damage, and the technology is already there and present in several other classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    I am willing to give up Metamorphosis with minimal fuss under two conditions: One, we get Pandaren warlocks. Two, Demonology turns into a proper summoner specialization where we're able to fight with multiple minions and our abilities consist of summoning temporary lesser demons to deal damage.
    lol

I don't know if we will ever see number 1...but 2 is possible.

I suppose if we're talking about the impossible I wouldn't mind a Nelf or Draenei Warlock...but Pandaren Warlock is probably more likely then either of those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    lol

I don't know if we will ever see number 1...but 2 is possible.

I suppose if we're talking about the impossible I wouldn't mind a Nelf or Draenei Warlock...but Pandaren Warlock is probably more likely then either of those 2.
    Of course we won't. As far as I know, I'm the only person who actually wants a Pandaren Warlock. Then again, they do tend to listen to the vocal minority so I guess if I scream loudly and long enough, I could make it happen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Pandaren warlocks can work... technically. The warlock class came about when practitioners of magic arts (arcane, shamanistic, etc) delved deep into the magics and discovered the darker paths through demons. Pandaren are able to be mages, priests, and shaman. They are/were on Draenor and fighting back the demons in Tanaan Jungle and Hellfire Citadel.

It's completely plausible for some of them to turn to these dark arts and start their own faction of warlocks - ALTHOUGH fel magic and demonology go against Pandaren beliefs on positivity and goodness - I doubt we will ever seen them turn bad.

Much like a John Cena heel turn.

Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    It's completely plausible for some of them to turn to these dark arts and start their own faction of warlocks - ALTHOUGH fel magic and demonology go against Pandaren beliefs on positivity and goodness - I doubt we will ever seen them turn bad.
    Pandaren are not a part of a hive mind so there's really nothing stopping them at this point from becoming a Warlock, Paladin and/or Druid. Also, even though Warlocks are not a very popular class there are a lot more of us around than there technically would be if Blizzard adhered more strongly to their own established lore/story.

7+ Year Old Account
    In the lore there aren't a large number of warlocks out in the open practicing their magic in the Alliance and Horde. Back in the day you would always see random NPCs or groups of warlocks in caves, basements, and such places congregating. Or why some warlock trainers would be in obscure locations; sinister looking locations.

I think because pandaren (in the lore) spent the most part of the game's history shut off from the world - surrounded only by the rest of their own race - and have had centuries of time to practice their culture - will never allow them to become warlocks.

Unless, of course, something tragic happens to their society. Something like...

...invading forces waging war upon their homeland.

EDIT: Back to the topic... this could be a good way to bring "Dark Apotheosis" back into the fold. Somehow re-tool it.

Or maybe it's too close to Metamorphosis as a whole. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    In the lore there aren't a large number of warlocks out in the open practicing their magic in the Alliance and Horde. Back in the day you would always see random NPCs or groups of warlocks in caves, basements, and such places congregating. Or why some warlock trainers would be in obscure locations; sinister looking locations.

I think because pandaren (in the lore) spent the most part of the game's history shut off from the world - surrounded only by the rest of their own race - and have had centuries of time to practice their culture - will never allow them to become warlocks.

Unless, of course, something tragic happens to their society. Something like...

...invading forces waging war upon their homeland.

EDIT: Back to the topic... this could be a good way to bring "Dark Apotheosis" back into the fold. Somehow re-tool it.

Or maybe it's too close to Metamorphosis as a whole. Oh well.
    Aside from the pointless war the Alliance and Horde brought to Pandaria (which brought the Sha back), the Pandaren have had to deal with the Mogu for many years so it would be silly to say there is not at least a group of Pandaren who have been irreversibly changed by their actions and are willing to delve into fel magic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the pointless war the Alliance and Horde brought to Pandaria (which brought the Sha back), the Pandaren have had to deal with the Mogu for many years so it would be silly to say there is not at least a group of Pandaren who have been irreversibly changed by their actions and are willing to delve into fel magic.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I have this feeling that Blizzard does not want to taint the image the pandaren currently embody.

"Untainted."
    -High Overlord Saurfang