Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.

GM Did the Crime, Drivers Do the Time

"Under the terms of the Justice Department’s $900 million settlement, no GM executives will be prosecuted for covering up the faulty ignition switch linked to at least 124 deaths. The deal is the latest in a string of deferred prosecution agreements between the Obama administration and corporations accused of criminal activity. We speak to longtime consumer advocate Ralph Nader, "Why Not Jail?" author Rena Steinzor and Laura Christian, the mother of a GM crash victim."

http://www.democracynow.org/2015/9/1...ime_drivers_do

Once again, the Obama government's "Justice" Dept. in cahoots with giant corporations to the detriment of the larger public. This is an extension of the Bush administration's tactics and the definition of corporatism/fascism.

I thought everybody knew that large corporations control your government and are above the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    NTSA dropped the ball with GM, so any jailtime would go to government stooges as well as GM, which is why there is no jail time. Additionally 124 deaths over 13 years is statistical noise, especially when something along the lines of 455000 people have died due to car crashes on the road in the past 13 years. GM coughed up $900 million and are the victims going to see any of it? A lot of this is just sensationalism. Heavy key chain in a shitty ignition coupled with panicky drivers who don't know how to react other than slamming on the brakes or some other bad decision killed ~13 (rounding up) out of ~35000 people every year. It's pretty easy to see why things happened the way they did.
    But, but "big corporation"!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I thought everybody knew that large corporations control your government and are above the law.
    As a long time Chevrolet driver and a pathetic brainwashed dickbag fanboy I feel that the families of the victims should get sued for 1 quadrillion dollars for being poopy faces to GM who tries so hard to make the product they want. The driving community has just gone downhill lately.

EDIT: But seriously... this... combined with the whole push to make altering the car's firmware a form of piracy because GM is amongst a group of companies that doesn't feel that you "own" your car per say makes me embarrassed to have a GM vehicle parked in my driveway. It will be the last GM product I ever by. Not to mention it's a pathetic lemon, the timing chain is on the out for the second time already and it's a fucking 3 ear old vehicle.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2015-09-20 at 02:25 PM.

NTSA dropped the ball with GM, so any jailtime would go to government stooges as well as GM, which is why there is no jail time. Additionally 124 deaths over 13 years is statistical noise, ... ~13 (rounding up) out of ~35000 people every year. It's pretty easy to see why things happened the way they did.
    Whats crazy is that when you catch a guy that has murdered 124 people in his torture basement over 13 years, you call him a serial killer. If we simply let corporations get away with what we put individuals in prison for, then our society is built upon a foundation of sand called 'hypocrisy'.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    If we simply let corporations get away with what we put individuals in prison for, then our society is built upon a foundation of sand called 'hypocrisy'.
    If you realize that, we're finally getting some progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    EDIT: But seriously... this... combined with the whole push to make altering the car's firmware a form of piracy because GM is amongst a group of companies that doesn't feel that you "own" your car per say makes me embarrassed to have a GM vehicle parked in my driveway.
    Don't worry, if you stop buying them, nobody is going to let them fail, they will be bailed out with another 50 billion of government money.

Deleted
    lol, the try to pin it all on Obama is ridiculous.
    You need to see that both parties are the same only Democrats try to hide it while Republicans say: "Yeah we take brides from GM, what you gonna do about it?"

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    If you realize that, we're finally getting some progress.

Don't worry, if you stop buying them, nobody is going to let them fail, they will be bailed out with another 50 billion of government money.
    That and the lack of consumer self control. As I said in another thread, they could be running concentration camps in Nicaragua and people would still buy their products. This I know because there is an endless supply of buyers for consumer products that are made by taking advantage of people in the developing world.

It's fucking pathetic. It's disgusting. It's a biting chill straight into the pit of my soul. I'm ready for capitalism to fall off a fucking cliff and die.

People think rich people follow the same laws as everyone else still?

10+ Year Old Account
    NTSA dropped the ball with GM, so any jailtime would go to government stooges as well as GM, which is why there is no jail time. Additionally 124 deaths over 13 years is statistical noise, especially when something along the lines of 455000 people have died due to car crashes on the road in the past 13 years. GM coughed up $900 million and are the victims going to see any of it? A lot of this is just sensationalism. Heavy key chain in a shitty ignition coupled with panicky drivers who don't know how to react other than slamming on the brakes or some other bad decision killed ~13 (rounding up) out of ~35000 people every year. It's pretty easy to see why things happened the way they did.
    This is more of your usual horseshit. I doubt you even watched the report and learned the facts.

If you had, and if you had an ounce of sense to go with it, you wouldn't have said that.

GM knew the switches were defective and forged ahead anyway - for over a decade. The GM engineer mainly responsible for the part knew it was bad and ordered a change in the part number to hide the fact, top GM brass were also complicit, and so on.

The other main point here is that both the Bush and Obama governments have allowed them to get away on this with just a slap on the wrist, just as they did with HSBC and others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    You need to see that both parties are the same only Democrats try to hide it while Republicans say: "Yeah we take brides from GM, what you gonna do about it?"
    Yes, both parties are complicit but the settlement happened on Obama's watch, therefore Obama's Justice Dept. is most responsible, even though this should have been handled correctly during Bush since it goes back to 2001.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-09-20 at 04:51 PM.

Corporations are people, OP. Well, until they're in legal trouble. Then it's different.

There were more than 200 deaths related to defective Firestone tires. I believe they got "spanked" with a mere $11 million fine. Must have some good lobbyists!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This sucks. But it isn't something new. Big business execs typically escape prosecution for their white collar crimes. At least as far as going to jail is concerned. It doesn't matter how many lives they ruined. They're used to being better than everyone else so it would be unfair to treat them like a common citizen...
    It isn't new, but there was some accountability meted out after the S&L scandals of the 1980's for example. Many of those involved went to jail, because at that time corporate money didn't hold as much sway over the gov't as it does now, especially in the past few years with the Citizens United and other SCOTUS decisions favoring corporate power.

What about an engine turning off causes people to crash exactly? I've run out of gas before and didn't die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    What about an engine turning off causes people to crash exactly? I've run out of gas before and didn't die.
    Because you lose your brakes, steering, and other functions when this switch went from the 'On' position to 'Accessory' by itself due to faulty design. At almost any speed that loss of control is extremely dangerous.

Seriously, you don't understand that?
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-09-20 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Because you lose your brakes, steering, and other functions when this switch went from the 'On' position to 'Accessory' by itself due to faulty design. At almost any speed that loss of control is extremely dangerous.

Seriously, you don't understand that?
    Is it different then running out of gas as I don't know?

I didn't lose my steering or brakes it just takes a lot more force as you lose power steering and brakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Corporations are people, OP. Well, until they're in legal trouble. Then it's different.
    I thought corporations were people too, guess not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Is it different then running out of gas as I don't know?

I didn't lose my steering or brakes it just takes a lot more force as you lose power steering and brakes.
    OK, then I'm sure you won't mind every car you ever drive from now on having an ignition that will turn off the engine at any random moment?

You don't understand that sudden loss of control, especially at higher speeds and in various unpredictable driving situations, can cause a vehicle to run off the road or hit other vehicles and objects causing injury or death?

Quit baiting with ridiculous bullshit or GTFO of my thread please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    I thought corporations were people too, guess not
    Soulless bodiless people who's existence violates the 13th amendment.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    The White House was unequivocally involved in directing the Justice Department's lack-of-prosecution agreement with GM.

Barack Obama and Loretta Lynch have manufactured a deal that basically says "a crime happened but it wasn't committed by anybody therefore nobody has to go to jail ...but the crime still happened".

That is absolutely butt fucking insane!

I don't care if you bow to a Barack Obama shrine every night before bed you simply cant shrug this utter abuse of law off.

At least 124 people have died and there are even people in jail right now charged with vehicular manslaughter as a result of their vehicles malfunctioning ...and these GM fuckbags knew about it all along!

These exec's knew what they were doing, they are complicit in these deaths.

Barack Obama, Loretta Lynch, and undoubtedly hundreds of other administration personnel orchestrated a blatant miscarriage of justice, they are also complicit in these deaths.

Every one of these people should be in jail.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN