The Poppy Wars, Harry Potter goes to war

The Poppy War
    (The Poppy War #1)
    by R.F. Kuang

It's like a martial arts movie. Most of the Harry Potter tropes are there but not all.

It's a lot rougher than Harry Potter, for example the protagonist's mentor tells her, "cut off your braids or someone will snatch you into an alley and sell you to a brothel." And there's opium.

I think it was written in China, but maybe not.

If you treat it like a martial arts movie and suspend your disbelief, I think you'll have a lot of fun, but if you're one of those people who nit pick every detail, you won't enjoy it.

In the second half of the book, the students are drafted and go off to war. None of the brutality is hidden. It reminded me a lot of the Japanese invasion of China back pre-WWII.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-07-08 at 07:29 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

When you say martial arts movie.. and china .. is this wuxia or cultivating shit or does it have an actual story?

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    When you say martial arts movie.. and china .. is this wuxia or cultivating shit or does it have an actual story?

It's kind of like the Harry Potter story only after they graduate school, they go off to war. There's wacky professors, mean professors, kindly professors, stuff about shamanism, alchemy, etc.

When I say Harry Potter story, I mean the broad strokes. Mistreated orphan going off to school, etc. The devils in the details though.

It was a pick for the Science Fiction Writers Association’s shortlist, the nominees for the Nebula Awards.

It's not a fantastic book, but it's pretty good.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I thought this was going to be about Galfords dog.