Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is it wrong to threaten kids with dinner?

So I'm at my nephews football game and some kids were playing behind the bleachers. One of the kids uttered a profanity word and his mother heard it. She yelled at him and said if she hears the word again that he wouldn't be eating supper.

I'm not a parent but I think that's a bit much. I know there's parents on these forums. Do you threaten your kids with supper? What is normal punishment these days?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like poor parenting.

I probably wouldn't do that as a parent. I usually take away a privilege, like tv, computer time ect.

I believe there's an article somewhere that things that are required for survival should not be used as tools of reward/punishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, I don't use that as a punishment. However, I do tell my kids they will eat their veggies for breakfast if they don't eat them at dinner.
    This seems more like a reward than a punishment.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

15+ Year Old Account
    Take away something they enjoy, not something they need, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eating is KINDA essential do it shouldn't be used as a punishment. Although I do like winters idea. " if you won't eat this now, it's the only thing you'll have for breakfast".

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see anything wrong with it, and it's not like missing out on one meal will harm anyone. At least it is a somewhat real punishment instead of the parent just sitting back and letting her child grow up to be an ill-mannered knob.

Its not like they are gonna die if they go to bed hungry. Although it may be a bit harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, I don't use that as a punishment. However, I do tell my kids they will eat their veggies for breakfast if they don't eat them at dinner.
    I've never understood the stereotype that kids hate vegetables. I love broccoli and spinach, even as a kid I loved them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking away their dinner entirely could be construed as child abuse.

Giving them green beans and a plain chicken breast while everyone else gets pizza, though, is a perfectly reasonable punishment.

7+ Year Old Account
    My parents did that to me all the time when I was young - made me stop doing the dumb shit that I was doing for one. If i didn't, wasnt exactly going to starve to death since missing one meal isnt that huge an issue, nothing a big breakfast couldnt fix.

For the whole situation at hand - I see no issue with how it was used in this situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    Its not like they are gonna die if they go to bed hungry. Although it may be a bit harsh.
    Depends on when they do their homework. That requires brain power, and being hungry doesn't make that easy.

I wouldn't say that any single meal is essential, so yes I think it is fair.
    There has to be something taken away for any threat or punishment to work.
    It just depends on how much they value the meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The lady told the people around them that she's old fashioned. She doesn't look older than 40 so this seems like an excuse for being an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Taking away their dinner entirely could be construed as child abuse.

Giving them green beans and a plain chicken breast while everyone else gets pizza, though, is a perfectly reasonable punishment.
    Chicken > pizza. You would have just rewarded me for bad behavior! *giggles*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    The lady told the people around them that she's old fashioned. She doesn't look older than 40 so this seems like an excuse for being an idiot.
    Because being old-fashioned has to do with your age, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    I've never understood the stereotype that kids hate vegetables. I love broccoli and spinach, even as a kid I loved them.
    Its mainly due to the fact that humans are predisposed to enjoy fats and sugar more, its leftover survivalist instincts from back when not eating for days at a time was a common thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Chicken > pizza. You would have just rewarded me for bad behavior! *giggles*
    Meh....Chicken isn't a big deal to me(Unless it's nuggets or something like that).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Odobisean View Post
    I don't really see anything wrong with it, and it's not like missing out on one meal will harm anyone. At least it is a somewhat real punishment instead of the parent just sitting back and letting her child grow up to be an ill-mannered knob.
    While that last part is true, not eating dinner could really cause issues. Being hungry before bed time could cause the child not to sleep which will throw off the sleeping pattern, and things like that. I'm not a parent, not even close to the age, but taking away dinner isn't a good idea whether it seems like a punishment or not. Take away things they enjoy, not things they require.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't take the dinner away. Instead, you threaten to change their meal to their most hated food, and they won't be able to leave the table until they finish it all.

At least, that's what I would do if I wanted to use a meal as punishment.