Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Random Looting is Outdated

Good day all.
    I have been thinking about how the looting system has been evolving lately and while it is a lot more appealing than 10 years ago, I think it still needs more work. I really dislike the randomness associated with looting character items (armor and weapons). Having received multiple drops of the same item over and over from one boss when the other items elude me. I'm sure this happens to everyone else who raids or dungeon delves as well. With the recent addition of random upgrades to items (warforged, socket, 3rd stat) this issue is not as painful as it used to be, however it is still there.

What I think would be a good fix to this problem is adding an extension to the personal looting option where we get to select which item we need most from a boss and allow it to have a better chance to drop for you. This feature already exists in the form of selecting your loot spec (akin to talent spec), but it is still pretty vague and limits you to only those items.

Now I'm not suggesting instant gratification, as I know the grind is part of keeping the game alive and builds up excitement for attaining such items. But in a game where obtaining better gear is the only way to progress, there needs to be a way to assure that it is more possible than frustrating.

I still think it should be a mix. We should get coins/points/tokens for every kill and with enough of that curency we should be able to buy an item from a vendor. There should be a vendor next to a dead boss that only appears after you killed him where you can get items from his loot list. You won't see the vendor if you haven't killed the boss in that difficulty level. I think 10-15 dead bosses should equal one item from that vendor. The normal loot table and the way loot is distributed should stay the same.

But with that change you could spend your boss currency on the one important trinket or missing belt or whatever item never ever drops, but most of your loot will be from normal drops and the massterlooter/need/greed/personal loot system.

That system would be the best of both world and the linking to the boss would prevent people from farming the easy first three bosses and then buy loot from the last boss.

PS: If you want warforged with socket it should have additional costs nearly the same the basic item is priced. That way you can decide to get two loots (to complete the set for example) or wait and get a single BiS item instead.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2015-11-16 at 04:56 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I still think it should be a mix. We should get coins/points/tokens for every kill and with enough of that curency we should be able to buy an item from a vendor. There should be a vendor next to a dead boss that only appears after you killed him where you can get items from his loot list. You won't see the vendor if you haven't killed the boss in that difficulty level. I think 10-15 dead bosses should equal one item from that vendor. The normal loot table and the way loot is distributed should stay the same.

But with that change you could spend your boss currency on the one important trinket or missing belt or whatever item never ever drops, but most of your loot will be from normal drops and the massterlooter/need/greed/personal loot system.

That system would be the best of both world and the linking to the boss would prevent people from farming the easy first three bosses and then buy loot from the last boss.
    ooooh yes i love that idea ^^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    Some RNG is fein but between 685 and 731 Warforged+Gem Socket+Speed is more than two Raid tiers. This is ridiculous.
    This so much

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    Some RNG is fein but between 685 and 731 Warforged+Gem Socket+Speed is more than two Raid tiers. This is ridiculous.
    You realize the chance of a piece in a mythic dungeon coming out with those upgrades is almost impossible right? They already said the chance to get a 725 piece was like 1%. To get something like that warforged with 2 tertiary stats would be like 1/100000 drops

10+ Year Old Account

PS: If you want warforged with socket it should have additional costs nearly the same the basic item is priced. That way you can decide to get two loots (to complete the set for example) or wait and get a single BiS item instead.
    I like this idea. Would just have to work in such a way that it's plausible, so possibly tracking the kills and then allowing access to items on a vendor outside the raid is the better solution. Magically appearing vendors are a bit odd XD, even if they're warlocks who trade in the souls of bosses.

The only thing I would change is letting me use my bonus roll on a specific item.

If we could all just select our loot, we would devour the content even faster than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The only thing I would change is letting me use my bonus roll on a specific item.

If we could all just select our loot, we would devour the content even faster than we do.
    If that was going to be the case then you should get 1 bonus roll at the very most every week.

If there is no chance of being disappointed then there is a much smaller chance of ever being thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeaccord311 View Post
    If that was going to be the case then you should get 1 bonus roll at the very most every week.
    To clarify, I don't mean an instant win bonus roll. I'm referring to how you can go 5 or 6 bonus rolls getting gold, only to get some random bracer you don't want when you do finally win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I like this idea. Would just have to work in such a way that it's plausible, so possibly tracking the kills and then allowing access to items on a vendor outside the raid is the better solution. Magically appearing vendors are a bit odd XD, even if they're warlocks who trade in the souls of bosses.
    Just make it a ghost trader, they can appear everywhere
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by orangeaccord311 View Post
    You realize the chance of a piece in a mythic dungeon coming out with those upgrades is almost impossible right? They already said the chance to get a 725 piece was like 1%. To get something like that warforged with 2 tertiary stats would be like 1/100000 drops
    The whole Mythic dungeon gear increase is nothing more than slight of hand to get incompetent players doing dungeons in hopes to overgear even more the raid content they are not currently completing. The drop rate will be so low that you will be wasting your time.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

agree with OP, on top of the current loot drops, there needs to be a currency u can collect every kill from that boss and turn in later for a desired item from that boss.

2 months of mythic mannoroth, coin every snigle kill and still not a single prophecy of fear drop or coin for the whole raid. It is starting to seem like a bad joke
    Last edited by JIMM-; 2015-11-17 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do like the idea of selecting a single item that you wish to apply your bonus roll to. That seems like a decent, not-so-OP change that offers some piece of mind. At the very least I wish it would never give you the same item twice on two different bonus rolls.

Honestly, I'm completely fine with the drop system. Loot comes around after a few kills (although it would certainly be nice to be able to avoid "unlucky" streaks), but I do like the idea of prioritizing specific pieces with bonus rolls. What I'm not fine with is how everything is even more RNG because of this stupid warforging/socket system. I can get my BiS weapon and not even be happy about it because it didn't drop warforged.

I like the Valor system for improving the drops you get, all of this extra RNG needs to go (or at least get rid of warforging and leave random sockets, which have the same value on every piece of gear).
    Last edited by freddy090909; 2015-11-17 at 08:40 AM.

I like random looting. Opinions.

Deleted
    Guys. You're taking this way too far. Gearing has already become insignificant and boring. If im sure what im going to get before i even enter the instance, then what the hell is the fun in getting an item.

I'd say we need more RNG. (TBC style)

Deleted

Sounds good. A bit randomness is OK, but I totally dislike the loot lottery we have nowadays. If I want to gamble I would be playing D3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Octavios View Post
    Guys. You're taking this way too far. Gearing has already become insignificant and boring. If im sure what im going to get before i even enter the instance, then what the hell is the fun in getting an item.

I'd say we need more RNG. (TBC style)
    In TBC, you knew exactly what would drop from a boss, which quality of an item and which sockets the items had. Period. The only randomness there was the item dropping and you winning the roll. If we combine this system with PL, then it would be OK for me. But now, you don't know if the item will drop, but you also don't know if it will have a random upgrade or a random socket. That's crap.

Deleted
    One good way would be a form of currency that is accrued each time you kill a certain boss. You'll also have the chance for random items ofc, but you can also spend say 15 of that currency to buy any one item in its base version (no socket, no warforged) off that boss' loot table. Almost 4 months of killing a boss every week should give you a guarantee of getting an item you need. And if you want the better versions, you'll still have to raid the boss normally.

Ah lol, I hadn't seen Kryos' post.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really worried about the big spread of potential mythic dungeon loot. Its a very low chance on 1 kill a week so its not farmable and you'd have to get lucky to get it.

I'm not a huge fan of the wf/gem system but its not too bad. I would like to go back to tier pieces not being part of it though. It just seems dumb to me to have people rolling on tokens over and over just to try for that stuff. I do like Kryos' idea of some sort of currency to trade for a specific piece of loot. 10+ kills is reasonable to me - you'll probably not need it, except maybe to save up more for wf/socket, but it would protect you from really bad luck.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 2015-11-17 at 04:46 PM.