Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

unbinding turn keys

How do you play with it? I use turning keys when for instance the target isn't directly in front of me but I have to turn a little to get line of sight, and if I used right-click on the ground it might be less controllable to turn properly.

PS. I don't PvP much and this isn't only about PvP but I ask in this forum because I know this venue is mainly of PvPers.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I.. don´t understand the question. How you play with it? You need to get used to it of course.
    Or is the question how you fine tune turning with the mouse? Practise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

What most of us do is hold the camera where you wanna face and then take a minuscule step forward or backwards. Just tap either button, or push the left mouse button. No need for clicking the ground.

Deleted
    That takes over a lot of attention to use the mouse. I don't know if it's efficient or just fancy. Also movement interrupts casting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    you don't HAVE to unbind them.

I was looking into advanced pvp bindings in general to improve my playing (not just for pvp, but the pvp community seems to be the most advanced in that kind of thing) and I figured binding the enemy players in arena is a good idea etc. But this turning being unbound thing has me into deep thinking since it's not clear cut it has no drawbacks. Then again freeing 2 or 3 keybinds plus modifiers for spells or macros might be a benefit.

Unbinding your turn keys is something everyone who wants to be anything better than average in this game must do. PvE, PvP, it doesn't matter. Keyboard turning is a massive disadvantage in any setting in WoW. That's just how it is.

Holding the right-click on the mouse is the way to go; your mouse is essentially only used for moving the camera if you have set up and use your keybinds properly. I still use the mouse for targeting occasionally (like a teammates / enemies pet) but it is primarily a camera control device. Using the mouse you can turn faster (basically required for melee), free up keybinds, and strafe-move while looking (which is 90% of what you should be doing in PvP).

It will take some getting used to, but don't listen to people who say "you don't have to." Yes you don't have to, but if you want to improve in a massive way in every stage of the game then you need to learn it. Keep trying and you'll get used to it. Also I don't know why you need to right click on the ground. Right clicking and holding on anything that's not a player will enable you to move the camera. You shouldn't be using your mouse to move ever; use W to move forward always. Although I know some people use the mouse I've always found it way more difficult. Once you get used to the mouse for camera only you will look back and laugh at the old way, trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

Change your turning keys to strafe keys. Unbind back peddle and change it to a stop casting key if you have to. Stop casting keys allow you to fake cast while held in root effects, walking backwards is never a good option as you go at half speed.

Just remove it, with cataclysm launch I changed almost every single of where my abilities were on my keybinds to clean it up.. You'll missclick alot for a little while but quickly get used to it

I for instance put Shield Wall on backpedal keybind when I got rid of that, it was painful for a week or two. Wouldn't recommend playing important copntent while you get used to it though :>
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Nope, but there is a tendency for the echochamber of whining to spiral out of control, and so everyone involved thinks this is the worst thing ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    rebind strafe to a,d, turn with mouse, adjust sensitivity if necessary

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollcage8 View Post
    Change your turning keys to strafe keys. Unbind back peddle and change it to a stop casting key if you have to. Stop casting keys allow you to fake cast while held in root effects, walking backwards is never a good option as you go at half speed.
    Almost never. Sometimes useful in PvE. Always bad in PvP though.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    How do you play with it? I use turning keys when for instance the target isn't directly in front of me but I have to turn a little to get line of sight, and if I used right-click on the ground it might be less controllable to turn properly.

PS. I don't PvP much and this isn't only about PvP but I ask in this forum because I know this venue is mainly of PvPers.
    What you do instead is make a mouseover macro for all rotational abilities and bind your rotation to CTRL/ALT/SHIFT + Left/right click and camera move to center click and use WSAD for movement and the mouse for targeting and casting rotations.

Mouse movement is for noobs

I smell something.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Turning through the keyboard is limited by character turn speeds. It can be really limiting. However, with a mouse you can instantly face any direction. Just left-click and drag to the angle you want to face, and then right click once and you'll face that direction. (example where this is useful: druid -> displacer in a direction that throws people off, mage -> blink direction, hunter -> disengage direction)

It definitely takes getting used to, but you'll never turn back once you get used to it. As others mentioned, you only need strafe keys (I chose 'A' and 'D') if you are using your mouse to move. I would unbind backpedal. Personally, I changed 'S' to be autorun. That way, you'll never have to *really* use your mouse to move except for changing your facing direction (with the right-mouse-button). It'll cut down on hand fatigue as well. Just keep at it. The results won't show right away. You'll probably play far worse than you did before (I know I did), but after a few sessions you'll break even, and it'll continue to get better from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladfork View Post
    Turning through the keyboard is limited by character turn speeds. It can be really limiting. However, with a mouse you can instantly face any direction. Just left-click and drag to the angle you want to face, and then right click once and you'll face that direction. (example where this is useful: druid -> displacer in a direction that throws people off, mage -> blink direction, hunter -> disengage direction)

It definitely takes getting used to, but you'll never turn back once you get used to it. As others mentioned, you only need strafe keys (I chose 'A' and 'D') if you are using your mouse to move. I would unbind backpedal. Personally, I changed 'S' to be autorun. That way, you'll never have to *really* use your mouse to move except for changing your facing direction (with the right-mouse-button). It'll cut down on hand fatigue as well. Just keep at it. The results won't show right away. You'll probably play far worse than you did before (I know I did), but after a few sessions you'll break even, and it'll continue to get better from there.
    How do you strafe, target select, turn and cast at the same time though? Seems clunky :P

Deleted
    I would refrain from elitist statements like "you are bad if you don't do it that way". It is very likely the mouse not being used that much is mainly an Arena thing because you can really trim your mouse selection to only 3 binds on 3v3 (I don't know if 5v5 could use it properly). In other setups in the game and battlegrounds, selecting with the mouse might be more optimal, hence to have to turn and select stuff at the same time might not be that "pro".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    How do you strafe, target select, turn and cast at the same time though? Seems clunky :P

That's a vital area of discussion because in 3v3 Arena you can completely replace selections with binds, but in other setups in the game and battlegrounds it might not be possible. An Arena player for that reason can likely leave the mouse main keys almost completely unused with such a setup. I wonder if it's more "pro" to not unbind movement keys in bigger setups in order to leave the mouse freer.

i dit it in 2005. keyturning is Not ok in pvp or raiding environments. selecting/targeting stuff with mouse is not that hard of a task, and can be done within the time you wait for global cd anyway, and it doesnt inflict moving in any way.

Deleted
    I wonder how many of you that removed turning keys kept backpedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    I wonder how many of you that removed turning keys kept backpedaling.
    I removed turning keys but kept backpedaling because I like to tank in pve.

backpedaling/keyboardturning is only really bad if you use it when you need to move asap.

If you're not used to using the mouse for turning, than disabling turn keys will force you to learn it (and it opens up 2 very easy accessible buttons for extra binds).

Keyboard turning still exists in 2015. Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brawlers Guild or old MoP dungeons might help you learn how to use strafe properly. Lots of mechanics to dodge or get away from.