Photo Editing Build request

Greetings,

I have a relative who has asked for a budget / parts list for a new desktop to edit the digital photos they have taken, To my knowledge there may be some video editing also, but no games or streaming. They have 2 1980x1200 27" monitors, and were wondering if newer monitors were a good investment if those could be postponed.

Budget - $1000 to $2000 (if I could see builds at $1000, $1500 and $2000 that would be excellent)
    Resolution (1980x1200 x2)
    Games / Settings Desired (none)
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) (Photo editing, maybe some video editing)
    Country (US)
    Parts that can be reused (None)
    Do you need an OS? (Yes)
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? (pricing for 2 good 27" monitors would be appreciated)

They probably need around 2 Tb of internal storage, not sure if I should be looking at SSDs, or just raiding some HDDs for data protection.

I am sure I have missed some details, please let me know what other information I can provide. Thanks

Deleted
    Is this for some pro work or hobby? What are the model of the monitors he/she already have? You can spend 400$ on a decent monitor but if color accuracy is critical you can reach 1k for the monitor alone if you wanted, reason why i asked if its pro work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Is this for some pro work or hobby? What are the model of the monitors he/she already have? You can spend 400$ on a decent monitor but if color accuracy is critical you can reach 1k for the monitor alone if you wanted, reason why i asked if its pro work.
    As kostatto said, a really good monitor can be expensive...

but another thing to consider is if the work being done is for print or digital, because tbh the top end monitors only really serve to make a professional workflow faster but there isn't really a need to spend the money on it. Anything printed should be test printed on a decent printer anyway, and anything digital needs to be tested on multiple screens anyway (because once it's out, digital content is viewed from any number of screen sizes and quality).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh BIG note on the monitors, you aren't going to want to spend less than around $500 per 27" monitor. Reason being that you want to ensure you get a 27" with, what I call, True HD (might be officially called 4k now? idk). W/e you buy you need to make sure it has something like 2560x1440 res or higher.

The cheap 27" monitors will trick you by saying HD, and then have a res of 1920x1080 which is best for 20-23in, but @ 27 all you get is a loss in crisp details, which is something you very much want for editing/design work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    The cheap 27" monitors will trick you by saying HD, and then have a res of 1920x1080
    Which is still Full HD...

I do agree that for 27 inch and higher you want an higher resolution.