Poll: Would you artificially extend your life?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    No. I would like to die before I become so old that life becomes a burden.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    ofc it doesn't mean that you want to die
    ...which is why the question this thread poses is kinda dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Alefnir View Post
    No. I would like to die before I become so old that life becomes a burden.
    Not sure you're thinking this through. If you could extend the life you have before you become old. The question in the thread wasn't "would you like to be a 90-year old geezer for 100 years?"

Deleted
    Humans already extend their lifes using medicine, hygiene and technological progress.

Normally, humans would die between 30 and 40, nowadays they die at age 60-80.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Take my brain and chuck it in a vault, let me control a robo-body remotely.
    Bugger breathing and eating, bugger heat and cold. I'll fly through space like superman!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Well, if you truly accept the fact that you are going to die sooner or later, you're sorta ok with it, ofc it doesn't mean that you want to die, but death isn't an unwelcome guest. IMHO, people who think that they have something else to do after they die, didn't accept their mortality, like at all.
    And whats wrong with not accepting it then? I sure don't. If the cure doesnt come before I die, Ill be dead.. nothing matters anyway. If I dont accept it, live a healthy life and do my best to get it ASAP, and do get it, it would be the most amazing thing ever. Never having to worry about getting old or dying, always looking this good.

Hell Id even take it if it would mean Id be stuck in a pod, considering the alternative, at least then Ill always have a chance that they can reverse it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    ...which is why the question this thread poses is kinda dumb.

Not sure you're thinking this through. If you could extend the life you have before you become old. The question in the thread wasn't "would you like to be a 90-year old geezer for 100 years?"
    I still probably wouldn't. Human lives are more than long enough right now to be fulfilling. It depends on how you use your time, and if you use your time poorly, a few more decades won't make a difference.

Deleted
    There's a difference between accepting the inevitable, and acknowledging it. I absolutely do not accept that human beings are mortal and so goddamn fragile, and so contained and powerless and useless. But I do acknowledge it.

I still probably wouldn't. Human lives are more than long enough right now to be fulfilling.
    Well, that's like, your opinion, man.

It depends on how you use your time, and if you use your time poorly, a few more decades won't make a difference.
    Who said anything about decades? Why not centuries? Why not millennia?

same principle. If you use your time poorly, it really won't make a difference. Besides, could the human mind even handle being alive for that long?

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Curious, why are you so scared about what happens after we die? As with religion, I'm on the fence in terms of believing that there's more after we die. I tend to talk to my friends for hours about this kind of stuff since it really interests me and nobody has a factual believable answer. Science doesn't say yes or no, so it's all up to belief.

Still though, what makes you so scared of what -might- happen after we die? Could be nothing, or something really fantastic (see supernatural, had the casts ideas of what the afterlife is like in the show) or it could be bad. What makes you scared?

Sorry if this is to personal or something, but this is usually what I end up talking about if religion comes up. I'm agnostic when it comes down to beliefs and stuff.
    well, i'm terrified of going to some type of hell. there's a lot of different hells, no matter the religion.

i also don't want to exist, and either heavens or hells would force me to continue existing. if i have to continue existing, i'd rather exist as i am now, in the material world where i know what i'm facing.

I still probably wouldn't. Human lives are more than long enough right now to be fulfilling. It depends on how you use your time, and if you use your time poorly, a few more decades won't make a difference.
    I like this guy.

Deleted
    Well said!

As someone who has tried to artificially shorten my own there isn't much reason to lengthen it when I don't do much with it anyways.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

If it has a horrible price, no. If the price isn't too horrible, maybe...... maybe not.

Have you undergone any medical treatment? Taken anti-biotics? Maybe had life saving surgery? Chemotherapy? You just "artificially extended" your life. We're just looking at ways to do more.

I've got a few genetic problems. I'd like those fixed for sure.

I'm not going to be the first one to get real anti-aging treatments. We don't really know the long term affects of having your body regenerate things like bones/cartilage/ligaments/tendons at the level that would be required to keep us functioning long term. We do however, know how horrific the diseases are where you have uncontrolled bone and cartilage growth can be (essentially you own body tortures you to death).

I would if it was in a way that ensures Aging becomes irrelevant. Cybernetic Replacements for Organs.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Humans already extend their lifes using medicine, hygiene and technological progress.

Normally, humans would die between 30 and 40, nowadays they die at age 60-80.
    I was gonna say this too.

If by "artificially" the OP means using technology/medicine to extend our lives we all already do so. If new technology allows us to extend it even more I don't see the problem. When we really start to understand our DNA and how we can manipulate it, eventually death by old age or sickness will become rare.

15+ Year Old Account
    At my current state? Sure, a bit. Extend it so I keep aging but stay alive past 100? No way.

The brain, organs, joints, bones, muscles.. Everything deteriorates. Unless you find a fix for all of it, it's not going to be a pleasant life.

I don't think anyone truly wants to be 20-30 forever.

Eventually you'll want your life to move away from partying every day while looking young. And does anyone really wants to stick to doing mundane work and going through pretty much the same daily routine for 100+ years? I doubt it.

Indeed. You'll eventually run out of things to do.

The world would perish rather quickly if people became able to extend their lives. People need to die, new generations need to be born.

When my dog died I fantasized about being able to go back in time in maybe 50 years with some tech and extend his life so that he'd be with me my entire life, but that's as far as my fantasies on the subject stretch. I have no interest in living forever myself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Living forever is not a blessing, it would be a curse. The human mind can't take living for longer then maybe 100 years. Even you got locked in a young body, your mind would still age and mature. You would pretty much go insane sooner or later, and tbh, i would rather die then become a prisoner in my own mind.