Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do middle eastern immigrants always drive BMW/Mercedes/Audi?

I work in the car industry so i know for a fact that immigrants, espcially turkish, marrocan, etc. are big BMW/mercedes/audi enthousiasts. Great cars, obviously, but it seems strange that these people, often dangling in the slopes of society have such an urge to drive these expensive brands. It goes as far as entire families pitching in money (son, daughter, mom, dad, grandparents) to buy a 10 year old 3 series or a A4.

Im curious where this comes from. Is a car like a status symbol for them? What is it?

Most people living in big cities will probably know the trusted sight of a 20 ish year old immigrant having his BMW/audi/mercedes in park free in the middle of the city for everyone to see... seriously what up? Anyone can shed some light onto this?

They're seen as more reliable cars in Europe and the Middle East or something. I noticed those cars predominant in Germany when I lived there.

Always is a pretty strong word you might want to avoid in the future.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I work in the car industry so i know for a fact that immigrants, espcially turkish, marrocan, etc. are big BMW/mercedes/audi enthousiasts. Great cars, obviously, but it seems strange that these people, often dangling in the slopes of society have such an urge to drive these expensive brands. It goes as far as entire families pitching in money (son, daughter, mom, dad, grandparents) to buy a 10 year old 3 series or a A4.

Im curious where this comes from. Is a car like a status symbol for them? What is it?

Most people living in big cities will probably know the trusted sight of a 20 ish year old immigrant having his BMW/audi/mercedes in park free in the middle of the city for everyone to see... seriously what up? Anyone can shed some light onto this?
    Middle-eastern immigrants who have the money to move generally have the money to get a nicer car. Those brands are seen as nice cars.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

15+ Year Old Account
    Germany makes the best cars, duh

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they have a whole lot of toyota's/chevys/fords/dodges/chryslers over in the middle east.
    I assume its because its a brand they know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Always is a pretty strong word you might want to avoid in the future.
    We have a game on the workfloor when we see a car application and a name we guess which car they picked.
    5/5 times we get it right when the applicant is named mohammed or the likes. Its a stereotype but true nonetheless.

There are a number of factors to taken into account.

1, This is the most important. The Middle East and North Africa are Europe's second hand car markets. There are hordes of companies specialized in moving second hand cars out of the European markets and onto the Middle Eastern ones.
    2, Because of the above mentioned reason spare parts tend to be more widely available. Fixing a Chrysler or a Skoda could be much harder than fixing a BMW because it would be somewhat harder to come by spare parts.
    3, Yes, European luxury cars are seen as a status symbol. It has nothing to do with refugees, but more has to do with the general culture.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-01-29 at 09:43 PM.

I suppose immigrants are not supposed to be able to build cars of good brands too ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Middle-eastern immigrants who have the money to move generally have the money to get a nicer car. Those brands are seen as nice cars.
    "nice car" aint exactly a 10 year old car for the sake of driving a specific brand. For the money spend most people would pick a new car of a different brand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Germany makes the best cars, duh
    So great they lie about emmissions

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I don't think they have a whole lot of toyota's/chevys/fords/dodges/chryslers over in the middle east.
    I assume its because its a brand they know.
    ISIS has a ton of new Toyota trucks

"The Toyota Hilux is everywhere," Andrew Exum, a former US Army Ranger who is now the US deputy assistant secretary of defense for Middle East policy, told Newsweek. "It's the vehicular equivalent of the AK-47. It's ubiquitous to insurgent warfare. And actually, recently, also counterinsurgent warfare. It kicks the hell out of the Humvee."

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-i...trucks-2015-10

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I don't think they have a whole lot of toyota's.
    Toyota's are the 21st century Terrorists trademark vehicle of choice.

Deleted
    Fraud and tax evasion. The government is getting fooled big time atleast where i live.

10+ Year Old Account
    They drive local cars. Mercedes may seem amazing and exotic to Americans but over there the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi's are what they have available. It's like buying Ford or Chevy here in America cause that's what you'll find the most.

Deleted
    Because poor countries have a hardon for German stuff. It's the same in Eastern Europe, BMW/Audi/Mercedes are the beesknees, you're not cool if you don't have one of these, which is why every youngster with cash is gonna go for BMW and Audi while the older guy will go for Mercedes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why we have to drag BMW into this, maybe these sick terrorist also have an appreciation for an incredibly fine automobile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arkon View Post
    Because poor countries have a hardon for German stuff. It's the same in Eastern Europe, Audi/Mercedes are the beesknees, you're not cool if you don't have one of these.
    I corrected that statement, no need to bring BMW into this
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I don't see why we have to drag BMW into this, maybe these sick terrorist also have an appreciation for an incredibly fine automobile.
    Did we step on the long toes of a BMW driver?

10+ Year Old Account
    The German auto manufacturers pushed their vehicles as prestigious in Middle Eastern countries, and in European countries as well - we had this in the UK, where the likes of Audi said their cars may be more expensive, but that you are paying for quality.

The likes of Ford, Peugeot, etc. couldn't make that claim, so they didn't and therefore don't have the view that their cars as prestigious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Did we step on the long toes of a BMW driver?
    Well nobody steps on the toes of BMW drivers, and honestly, I don't these terrorist have the vision, and drive or purpose, to own one of those fine automobiles, and stealing doesn't count, occupying someone else, BMW is worse than an insult to anything else.

To be a BMW owner you have to from the beginning become one with the car, I assume, because even though I do alright, I can't afford that experience. But I imagine in my fantasy that being a BMW owner for the first time is like having a child, or a religious experience.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis