Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Transgendered beauty queen not transgender enough?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/beauty-...oman-1-4034358

A row has broken out after the organiser of a national transgender beauty pageant stripped the Scottish winner of her titlefor being “not transgender enough”.

Jai Dara Latto, from Walkerburn in *Peeblesshire, was named Miss Transgender UK in a ceremony in London in September last year. Now the pageant organizer Rachel Bailey has decided that Latto is a drag queen and not transgender enough. A video of the pageant as part of a documentary shows Latto relaxing at home wearing a pair of boxer shorts and working out at the gym in a T-shirt and shorts.

Ms Bailey said: “When Jai entered the competition, she said she was full time and she is not – she is a drag queen. The documentary showed her living as a gay male in her boxer shorts. Underwear is very important to transgender females – one of the first thing people do is change their underwear as it makes us feel like we are finally a woman.”

She added: “When I confronted her, she just said that I didn’t have a leg to stand on and it is difficult. It is basically one transgender person saying to another ‘You’re not transgender enough to be in our competition’. It sounds daft when you put it like that.”

I am not the most up to date on transgender issues, but since when does what underwear you wear make you transgender? Does that mean if a guy wears female underwear every day , say under his suit, he is transgender?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a huge difference between a drag queen and a trans person. A drag Queen(or king in the case of bio females) identify as their actual bio gender, but dress up in the opposite outfit as part of a performance. It's artistic and akin to paying a role on stage in a play. It's not something they do 24/7.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, there's a massive difference between being one sex and identifying as another, and being gay or a drag queen/king. Hell I know straight men who are drag queens, just for the fun experience of being something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    There's a huge difference between a drag queen and a trans person. A drag Queen(or king in the case of bio females) identify as their actual bio gender, but dress up in the opposite outfit as part of a performance. It's artistic and akin to paying a role on stage in a play. It's not something they do 24/7.
    Oh I understand the difference between the two. Latto says that she is taking hormones to become female. I think that would be more indicative then choice of underwear. But my girlfriend sometimes wears my boxers.....I may need to check in to this transgender thing more.

Maybe rather then make a contest out of it we should endeavor to actually get them the mental help they need until technology advances far enough to transition a person to the opposite sex in terms of biology rather then trying to normalize what is technically a mental illness?

The suicide rates seem to show that sex change operations are not a healthy way to go about it for most people.
    Last edited by Silverlock; 2016-02-21 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Oh I understand the difference between the two. Latto says that she is taking hormones to become female. I think that would be more indicative then choice of underwear. But my girlfriend sometimes wears my boxers.....I may need to check in to this transgender thing more.
    Part of the transition process normally requires one to live full time as the gender they want to change to. Which means appropriate clothes full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlock View Post
    Maybe rather then make a contest out of it we should endeavor to actually get them the mental help they need until technology advances far enough to transition a person to the opposite biologically rather then trying to normalize what is technically a mental illness?
    Wow we're not even off the first page and we've already jumped down a slippery slope. Nice work.

Part of the transition process normally requires one to live full time as the gender they want to change to. Which means appropriate clothes full time.
    And why aren't women allowed to wear boxers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Think of it this way, does playing the opposite gender in an RPG make you transgendered?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Think of it this way, does playing the opposite gender in an RPG make you transgendered?
    No, but my female toons can equip the same clothing as the male ones.

Deleted
    So learn from your mistake and define "full time transgender" better in next years contest rules if you want to exclude certain people from entering.

Hard to believe it's just over the underwear though. I'm sure we've all seen girls wear boxers before.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-02-21 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlock View Post
    Maybe rather then make a contest out of it we should endeavor to actually get them the mental help they need until technology advances far enough to transition a person to the opposite sex in terms of biology rather then trying to normalize what is technically a mental illness?

The suicide rates seem to show that sex change operations are not a healthy way to go about it for most people.
    It's NOT a mental illness, how DARE you, you cisgender heteronormative white scum, check your privilege and stop oppressing them, sex and gender are different anyways, you transphobe.... am I doing it right, Endus?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-02-21 at 05:51 PM.

Wow we're not even off the first page and we've already jumped down a slippery slope. Nice work.
    I would say that in this enlightened society that I keep being told we live in, a woman can wear whatever she pleases. There is no such things as appropriate clothes for women...they basically can wear whatever they want(excluding people of walmart, please find a mirror before you go out). My point is that clothes do not make the woman and i doubt that any trangender person feels that clothes make them who they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, the thing with the trans community is that it's more toxic than the LoL comunity and just as elitist as the WoW community. Obviously it's not all of us, but a good portion need a very large reality check IMO :/
    Makes me glad that I pass as my presenting gender so I don't have to put up with this kind of absolute childish bullshit.
    Also, just gonna say the idea of a trans specific beauty pageant is kinda gross IMO (fetishization and all that) and this is coming from someone who does camshows for a living XD
    Butts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    And why aren't women allowed to wear boxers?
    Absolutely nothing, their subscribed gender tends to make boxers off limits (in their own minds) off limits to them. A lot women like to wear jeans designed for women, jeans that may not accommodate boxers.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    So learn from your mistake and define "full time transgender" better in next years contest rules.

Hard to believe it's just over the underwear though. I'm sure we've all seen girls wear boxers before.
    This is the wrong board to assume that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dcuffel View Post
    It's NOT a mental illness, how DARE you, you cisgender heteronormative white scum, check your privilege and stop oppressing them, sex and gender are different anyways, you transphobe.... am I doing it right, Endus?
    You forgot to yell at Leslie.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Absolutely nothing, their subscribed gender tends to make boxers off limits (in their own minds) off limits to them. A lot women like to wear jeans designed for women, jeans that may not accommodate boxers.
    I'm just saying. I've had overnight female visitors if you catch my drift..and for some reason chicks like putting on their latest score's clothing as a trophy of sorts. So I've seen females in my boxers before. They might not usually purchase them for themselves, but they'll wear them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    No, but my female toons can equip the same clothing as the male ones.
    I want to play the games you play because I feel like most games either feature my female toons wearing skimpy clothes or overly baggy clothes.

Cleaned up what I said to add clarity to it. What exactly is slippery slope about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps they should have clarified the conditions of participation, rather than first declare the person a winner and then decide, "Uh, you know, we thought about it and decided that you didn't deserve that win"?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: oops, meant to reply to someone, sorry I'm mildly drunk and tired >_<
    Actually, the suicide rates tend to be much lower after transitioning. I know this is just anecdotal information but I was about to kill myself before I talked to my therapist about my gender dysphoria.
    Also, technically not a mental illness if you're talking in a conventional sense. The most backed theory at the moment is based around a different development of the brain.
    Again it's anecdotal, but I honestly have never felt better iny entire life. I's like being sick and not realising it because that feeling is what's normal to you and then slowly becoming better to an extent!
    Last edited by Grozzle; 2016-02-21 at 06:55 AM.
    Butts