Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Golden Era 1996-2006

Some people claim nostalgia but to this day the timeless classics are still my favorite and I play and favor them over virtually any other game if given the chance.

Here is my list and I would like to hear your 90s-mid 2000 list
    For me all these games left their magic in the past. And I am content to stay there with them because of many of the aspects these games embraced that is mostly absent in todays oversaturated gaming rehash landscape.

TES Morrowind
    Mafia City of Lost Heaven
    Vampire: Bloodlines
    Baldur's Gate Triology
    Planescape Torment
    IWD 1/2
    Fallout 2
    Dungeon Siege 1/2
    System Shock 2
    Deus Ex
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Halo CE
    Crysis
    Max Payne 1/2
    GTA 3 Trilogy
    World of Warcraft TBC
    Pokemon R&B
    Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask
    Starfox 64
    Perfect Dark 64
    Metal Gear Solid
    Red Aler 2 Yuri
    Warcraft 3 TFT
    Starcraft Brood War
    Chrono Trigger
    Parasite Eve 1/2
    Final Fantasy 6/7/8/9
    Resident Evil 1/2/3
    Commandoes 1/2/3
    Warhammer 40k DoW
    Stronghold
    Age of Mythology
    Dungeon Keeper 1/2
    Doom 1/2
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Super Mario World
    Link to the Past
    Castlevania SoN
    The Legend of Dragoon
    Diablo 1/2
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-03-27 at 10:13 PM.

Mines not very large but here goes.

Lego Racers
    Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4
    Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles
    Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9
    Worms
    Doom (ps1 no music)
    Spiderman 1 and 2
    A buttload of ps1 F1 games
    Ridge Racer
    Duke Nukem Time to Kill and Land of the Babes
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater
    Warcraft 3
    Crash Bandicoot
    Time Crisis
    Spyro the Dragon
    Resident Evil

A lot of them are ofc series.

1998 was the best year. Everything after iterated or imitated its releases.

1997 - found about pc gaming (played super nintendo until that point) by reading gaming magazines
    1998 - one whole year just reading gaming magazines
    1999 - visiting my first internet caffe and playing my first pc game -> Midtown Madness (racing)
    - in same caffe got introduced to Age of Empires 2, Diablo 2
    1999/2000 - my first shooter Unreal 99 (the feeling when i first joined an online multiplayer was better then sex)
    2000 - Unreal 99 + Quake 2 with friends 3vs3 in internet caffe then Dungeon Keeper 2,Thief 2,Diablo 2 (i don't have words to describe how i felt during that era)
    2001/2004 - Counter Strike + Warcraft 3 with friends in internet caffe/local tournaments/first online play on modem56k and ISDN (still no ADSL in my country)
    2004/2010 - more online games, internet caffes dried out, World of Warcraft mainly but trying out new MMO's (first 3 years felt good but after i was a virtual cocaine junky)
    2010 to Present - League of Legends, Playing card games Online/Offline, testing new games to find that one that could replicate the feeling the first 5 games did.

Chrono Trigger came out in 1995. It's "sequel" wasn't all that great... And Final Fantasy VI was released in 1994.

Also, you forgot to add to the list "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night". That came out in 97

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Doom (ps1 no music)
    No music? I actually thought the music in the PS1 version was one of the best aspects of it! ^_^ (aside from "Club Doom". Ugh...)

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Chrono Trigger came out in 1995. It's "sequel" wasn't all that great... And Final Fantasy VI was released in 1994.

Also, you forgot to add to the list "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night". That came out in 97

- - - Updated - - -

No music? I actually thought the music in the PS1 version was one of the best aspects of it! ^_^ (aside from "Club Doom". Ugh...)
    It didn't really have music on the ps1 except really crappy ambience style. Not like the pc and a few other consoles. Atari Jaguar version didn't have any music at all. When it comes down to Doom out of all of em I would play the pc version with an MS Synth style sound. That or the SNES music. Nearest console port of doom graphics wise to pc version is the Jaguar one surprisingly.

Forgot Diablo 2 a and Doom 1/2 / Duke Nukem3d

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

- - - Updated - - -

some years are off. It's probably better going for back to full on 90s-mid 2000s

The last decade has seen a steep decline in interest personally.

All these games are just ripping off Judas Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    1998 was the best year. Everything after iterated or imitated its releases.
    You are pretty much as spot on with that year as you could be.

January 21 Resident Evil 2
    February 11 Xenogears
    March 29 Parasite Eve
    March 31 StarCraft
    June 30 Banjo-Kazooie
    July 31 Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
    August 21 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
    September 3 Metal Gear Solid
    September 10 Spyro the Dragon
    September 30 Fallout 2
    September 30 Pokémon Red and Blue
    October 21 Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
    November 19 Half-Life
    November 21 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    November 30 StarCraft: Brood War
    November 30 Baldur's Gate
    December 14 Mario Party

Agreed

Forgot Dungeon Keeper I am ashamed

10+ Year Old Account
    I was born in 1995 so I really don't know the dates of some of these and they may be a few years early or late but here goes:

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Silver/Gold/Crystal/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    Ratchet and Clank 1-Deadlocked
    Sly 1-3
    Jak1-3
    Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
    Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls (Final Fantasy 1 and 2 on the GBA. My first introduction to the series so that's why I include it)
    Okami
    Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2
    Metroid Fusion
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Fire Emblem 7, Sacred Stones, and Path of Radiance
    Lego Star Wars
    Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Metal Gear Solid
    GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas
    Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2
    World of Warcraft
    God of War
    The Simpsons: Hit and Run
    Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga

I don't have my old games with me so if I looked through them I'm sure I could list a lot more, but those are the ones of the top of my head.

Hm. I was born in 1985, so most of my childhood that I can clearly remember happened in the 90s. So 1990-2000 would probably be my favorite 10 years here. Might edit this later if I think of others, but here's a start to my list:

Final Fantasy 4 (2 US, SNES)
    Final Fantasy 6 (3 US, SNES)
    Final Fantasy 7-9 (PS1)
    Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
    Super Double Dragon (SNES)
    Harvest Moon (SNES)
    Pilotwings (SNES)
    Sim City (SNES)
    Desert Strike (SNES)
    Final Fight 1-3 (SNES)
    Deadlock 1 and Deadlock 2 (PC)
    Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct Gold (SNES and N64)
    Contra 3: The Alien Wars (SNES)
    Civilization 3 (PC)
    Star Ocean: The Second Story (PS1)
    Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)
    Breath of Fire 3 (PS1)
    Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
    Star Fox (SNES and N64 versions)
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
    Mario Kart (SNES and N64 versions)
    F-Zero and F-Zero X (SNES/N64)
    Perfect Dark (N64)
    Waverace 64 (N64)
    Super Mario World and Mario 64 (SNES/N64)
    Pretty much every Mega Man X and Street Fighter game from that decade
    Original Starcraft + Brood War (PC)
    Diablo 1 (PC)
    Warcraft 3 (PC)
    Banjo Kazooie (N64)
    Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
    Top Gear (SNES)
    Doom and Doom 2 (PC)
    Duke Nukem: Time To Kill (PS1)
    Chrono Trigger (SNES)
    Strike Gunner (SNES)
    Super Mario RPG (SNES)

I like Mortal Kombat, but I didn't care much for the older ones. Didn't really become an MK fan until the Armageddon/Deception days.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-03-27 at 09:22 PM.

my only gripe is how god awful survival horror has become. But looking to the future after the last somewhat DEAD decade in the last year and forward we are seeing a rennisaance of the greatest gameplay types coming back

Resident Evil 2 ReMake
    Pillars of Eternity
    Torment Tides of Nunumera
    Witcher 3

We are slowly seeing a hint of the greatness from the old day peak out again.

I think the greatest thing that could happen for say the Survival Horror Genre is if Capcom went back to Resident evils fixed camera roots and limited supplies and puzzles and kept the series there.

For other brands like TES the magic of games like Morrowind is forever lost. What we get now is prettier but it lacks what made it so wonderful

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing games since 1991. And, you know... I wouldn't say there was "golden era" in gaming. Every period had a lot of great games to offer. Mostly, the way I see it, people just confuse nostalgia with "good ol' times". Many games I remember warmly were released in 1990-1999, but were they better than the games I buy nowadays? Hardly. They were fresh though, since the genre standards weren't established back then and many games offered completely new ideas/mechanics, which was fun to follow. That mystery of buying a new game and not knowing what to expect is gone now: most ideas have already been explored and either accepted by most major titles of the genre, or rejected and never attempted again.

I won't be listing all my games from 1996-2006, since the list would be HUGE. Let's just say that I replay a lot of them to this day. Played through KotoR 2 just a month ago or so, for example - for the 2357895432th time.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Been playing games since 1991. And, you know... I wouldn't say there was "golden era" in gaming. Every period had a lot of great games to offer. Mostly, the way I see it, people just confuse nostalgia with "good ol' times". Many games I remember warmly were released in 1990-1999, but were they better than the games I buy nowadays? Hardly. They were fresh though, since the genre standards weren't established back then and many games offered completely new ideas/mechanics, which was fun to follow. That mystery of buying a new game and not knowing what to expect is gone now: most ideas have already been explored and either accepted by most major titles of the genre, or rejected and never attempted again.

I won't be listing all my games from 1996-2006, since the list would be HUGE. Let's just say that I replay a lot of them to this day. Played through KotoR 2 just a month ago or so, for example - for the 2357895432th time.
    a Large amount of it is absolutely not nostalgia when games veer so far from what it used to be that it's disgusting

Morrowind VS Future TES games
    Resident Evil Survival Horror VS Resident Evil 3rd person action shooter
    I'm not even going to start on how far final fantasy has went off that path
    Sure Final Fantasy 13 is pretty to look at and 15 but that is pretty much it. What the games USED to be is in the past. Gone.

Just god no.

The Golden era for me was my first time playing an online game, which was Diablo way back in 1997.

Memories... how I sat there at my computer for ages waiting for the update to download over a meagre 24.4kbps connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    a Large amount of it is absolutely not nostalgia when games veer so far from what it used to be that it's disgusting

Morrowind VS Future TES games
    Resident Evil Survival Horror VS Resident Evil 3rd person action shooter
    I'm not even going to start on how far final fantasy has went off that path
    Sure Final Fantasy 13 is pretty to look at and 15 but that is pretty much it. What the games USED to be is in the past. Gone.

Just god no.
    I haven't played these games... But, for example, I like Starcraft 2 way more than I did Starcraft 1. Diablo 3 also feels much more polished and fluid than Diablo 2 did. Dragon Age series vs Baldur's Gate... Would pick the former every time.

I do miss old good arcade shooters though, like Doom or Jedi Knight series. All these "realistic" Call of Duties and Battlefields just aren't my cup of tea.

Overall, I enjoy playing games today just as much as I did 10 or 20 years ago. Witcher 3, released just a year ago, for one, is my favorite open world game of all time, and Mass Effect series are my favorite among all game series ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

For me the Golden Era began circa '91-'92 with games like Civilization, Star Control II and Wolfenstein 3D. I played those three games with my friends over and over and over.

Remember when multiplayer meant taking turns or even sharing the same keyboard? Those 1-on-1 Star Control dogfights were so epic!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading this thread makes me hate Konami so much. They will never again make another real Silent Hill game, and probably won't print free money by remastering/remaking the older ones (they should follow Cspcom's example). There will probably never be another real Castlevania game either...

ps1 and ps2 were it for me. ps1 i had lots of things, legend of dragoon, spyro, crash bandicoot, those old spiderman games that were kinda based on the cartoon that was out at this time.

ps2 had jak and daxter, ratchet and clank, dbz budokai and all of it's sequals and then tenkaichi, the old naruto fighting games that i fucking loved, star wars battlefront, lego star wars(don't nobody talk shit on lego star wars, i will break you.), just so many games.

i loved n64 as well with banjo, the star wars game with dash rendar, all kinds of good shit. but ps1 and ps2 were my big ones.