Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And gets recorded by the cameras while the cops are notified, if they can even access the cargo.

Machines are a lot more difficult to hold at gunpoint and coerced into opening a lock.
    I can only assume you've never actually been around a cargo trailer.

Wait didn't we need tons of immigrant labour into Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Wait didn't we need tons of immigrant labour into Europe?
    No you needed cultural enrichment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I can only assume you've never actually been around a cargo trailer.
    I've been around many. What's your point?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I've been around many. What's your point?
    That the cargo is typically contained via fairly minimal security standards

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    There's a number of problems with your post.

#1 Automating is safer. Less accidents, less traffic jams, faster deliveries. Why wouldn't we go with automation?

#2 Republicans are in favour of business, which doesn't mean they're in favour of people. If you regulate how businesses do business, you're essentially a democrat.

#3 Automation is just one form of efficiency. Might as well remove computers and give people type writers. It's a tool that depends on people. Many examples of this in history.

You clearly misread my post. I was saying Republicans will not support a standard wage. They'd be perfectly happy with automation. I didn't dispute that. But they won't give a crap about the people whose jobs this displaces. And they will be adamantly against the social services required to support people who cannot find work because of this. So for a good while after automation becomes a thing, lower and middle class workers will suffer horribly with mass unemployment and possible homelessness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Person stands in road, another person cuts off trucks antenna, they proceed to rob truck as planned.
    Most cars don't HAVE external antennas anymore. Hell most THINGS don't have them anymore. It would be built into the walls of the truck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    You clearly misread my post. I was saying Republicans will not support a standard wage. They'd be perfectly happy with automation. I didn't dispute that. But they won't give a crap about the people whose jobs this displaces. And they will be adamantly against the social services required to support people who cannot find work because of this. So for a good while after automation becomes a thing, lower and middle class workers will suffer horribly with mass unemployment and possible homelessness.
    I don't think it'll ever reach massive homelessness. At least, I hope not. I can see regulations that stretch what little jobs exist. Higher minimum wages, and limited 30 hour work week. A big problem here in the states is that the rent is too damn high. Owning or renting a home is just murder on peoples wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I don't think it'll ever reach massive homelessness. At least, I hope not. I can see regulations that stretch what little jobs exist. Higher minimum wages, and limited 30 hour work week. A big problem here in the states is that the rent is too damn high. Owning or renting a home is just murder on peoples wallets.
    Whether it's mass unemployment, or simply increasingly more unemployment than the workforce can absorb, it's still going to be an issue for a lot of people. My point was that it's likely people simply will not be able to find jobs. And very little will be done to help those people. The transition to a more automated work force will be very hard on a lot of people with little hope that our government (at least in the US) will do anything substantial to help us.

10+ Year Old Account
    That the cargo is typically contained via fairly minimal security standards
    Currently, yeah. That's pretty easy to change, as required. Hell, you could even have an internal locking mechanism inaccessible from the outside that opens only in certain geofenced areas, or opens only with an authenticator style code. Whatever.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-04-10 at 05:22 AM.

At this point in time, the public would never be comfortable with automated trucking or cars in general.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Can you quote me where it says it does? Skimming through it I'm not seeing it.
    In "http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_projections_methods.htm#occfactors":

Each occupation in the matrix is analyzed to identify factors that are likely to cause an increase or decrease in demand for that occupation within particular industries. This analysis incorporates judgments about new trends that may influence occupational demand, such as expanding use of new manufacturing techniques like 3D printing that might change the productivity of particular manufacturing occupations, or shifts in customer preferences between different building materials which may affect demand for specific construction occupations.

Among the various factors that can affect the demand for an occupation in an industry are:
    1.Technological innovation
    2.Changes in business practices or production methods
    3.Replacement of one product or service by another
    4.Organizational restructuring of work
    5.Changes to the size of business establishments
    6.Offshore outsourcing
    7.Expected employment change in a segment of an industry where an occupation is more concentrated relative to expected employment changes in other segments of the same industry

Pretty sure those are the trucks that passed thru Denmark last week .... if so the title of this topic is very wrong and misleading.

The point of this is not *self driving trucks* it is a matter of *follow the leader* the front truck does have a normal driver the following trucks also have drivers but the following trucks *hook* on the leading one and let them follow close and auto adjust speed based on the leader ( and breaking ) this lets the followers drive closer and therefor save fuel much like a train but without a direct link but with a digital link in teori later the following truck drivers could do other things while they idle on /follow like sleep making it possible to swap *leader* and make the truck train run for much longer without making it stop to let the driver rest.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I trust computers waaaaaay more than a human driver.
    I don't when they have to go for a decision of "Who's life I value more, my passenger's or the ones in other car/sidewalk" in event of accident. <.<
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Pretty sure those are the trucks that passed thru Denmark last week .... if so the title of this topic is very wrong and misleading.

The point of this is not *self driving trucks* it is a matter of *follow the leader* the front truck does have a normal driver the following trucks also have drivers but the following trucks *hook* on the leading one and let them follow close and auto adjust speed based on the leader ( and breaking ) this lets the followers drive closer and therefor save fuel much like a train but without a direct link but with a digital link in teori later the following truck drivers could do other things while they idle on /follow like sleep making it possible to swap *leader* and make the truck train run for much longer without making it stop to let the driver rest.
    Thanks for the information, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all, its smart.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most truckers are East European in Europe so won't be an issue for us to replace them with AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm looking at it from a programmer's perspective, it's amazing they even stay on the road.
    Self-driving cars with the ability to 'just stay on the (empty) road' were available 20+ years ago. Seriously, the number of engineers/programmers who have literally no idea about the state and the history of Machine Learning never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Currently, yeah. That's pretty easy to change, as required. Hell, you could even have an internal locking mechanism inaccessible from the outside that opens only in certain geofenced areas, or opens only with an authenticator style code. Whatever.
    I'm sure getting millions of receiving areas to comply with this will be a cakewalk

In any case, it's more of a curiosity thing on my part.

Deleted
    Well they didn't drive themselves through Romania. Otherwise we'd see them on the news on the side of the road in a ditch. Not because their programming sucks, but our roads suck and we have strange drivers that drive illogically. And last, but not least, the people owning them would recover them piece by piece from the scrapyards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure getting millions of receiving areas to comply with this will be a cakewalk

In any case, it's more of a curiosity thing on my part.
    Geofencing is pretty easy, doesn't really require any setup on the receiving end.