Deleted

Switching specs per boss in Legion?

Will you be changing spec for different boss encounters, and accept that one of your specs will be behind the other with artifact progress, or will you stay on one spec all the time and just accept you will not be optimal dps on some bosses?
    Last edited by mmoc77e453b335; 2016-06-11 at 11:49 AM.

doesn't this just depend on what kind of guild ur in? u would already know the answer to this question even without artifacts if u cared about it or not

Deleted
    Actually no, I don't know the answer - hence asking the question.

Yes, to some degree, it is affected by guild however if your secondary artifact is only 60% as effective as your main artifact it would make a considerable difference even for guilds that aren't world/server first pushing.

As I understand it time/power on your secondary artifact is at the cost of your primary? Yes there are catch-up mechanics in place but from what I gather it doesn't bring it equal to your primary - for that you would need to change progressing your primary to your secondary.

I was just after other rogues opinions and thoughts - from research, alpha/beta experience or just thoughts from youtube videos.

that's fair. realistically you are going to have your "main" weapon as the mut or sub daggers (if u main outlaw u would typically be in a casual guild anyway) and really all u need is the first 3 traits in the outlaw weapon that reduces the energy loss in blade flurry. relics are pretty easy to grind out so ur offspec weapon will still be around ilvl 850 so u will still be contributing a lot even without traits in that weapon.

but really we don't even know if this is going to be the case. depending if they tune right or not, the specs that can't offer baseline AoE could end up being desirable due to super high boss damage while the specs that can talent into strong AoE will be pigeonholed into that to balance everything out.

Deleted
    Ah right, thanks for the info bud.

Just a quick follow up - how come outlaw is more casual based? is it the low single target damage that is the issue - so priority targets aren't going down as quick?

Deleted
    Oh yes you will switch. Switch all day, all night, for every trash pack. Maintaining 3 specs (2 realistically speaking) is the class fantasy. Always was. Dont like it? You will switch (not the spec). Dont worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlet View Post
    Ah right, thanks for the info bud.

Just a quick follow up - how come outlaw is more casual based? is it the low single target damage that is the issue - so priority targets aren't going down as quick?
    ya pretty much. i'm going off the assumption that a spec that has blade flurry should never come close to the ST damage of mut or sub, making it pretty useless as the majority of boss NPCs are 1 person rather than 2+. u can kill adds all day but that boss isn't going to die as quick unless ur off outlaw

IIRC Blizzard made mention that at release you should be able to maintain your other weapons to about 80% of your primary so switching specs shouldn't ruin you all too much.

Deleted
    I think I'm missing something here, because being 20% less efficient sounds a hell of a handicap! The average PUG leader would be dumb enough to spot that being an issue.

If you took your average combat rogue and said "hey, you've main'd sub cos it was better, that combat 80k DPS single target is now worth 65k, welcome to survival hunter territory of single target" - I don't think it'd fly well.

Deleted
    Being 20% behind on artifact does not mean doing 20% less DPS. But yes, its still big, do not get fooled by idiots. Especially early on it can be difference between having or not having another big ability.