Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Paralympics 'should be helped by International Olympic Committee'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/37147851

The International Olympic Committee should help with funding for the Rio Paralympics, says the vice-chairman of the British Olympic Association.

The Paralympics face major budget cuts and, although delayed travel grants will now be paid, 10 countries may struggle to get teams to Brazil.

"The IOC have very full coffers after London 2012," said Sir Hugh Robertson.

"They did much better financially than they would reasonably have expected out of London. They have capacity to help."

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live, Robertson, a former government minister who had day-to-day responsibility for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in London, added: "The sponsors have the capacity to help.

"The Brazilian government have a moral obligation to do everything possible.

"My guess is that if this goes wrong they will be in breach of the host nation contract so they are morally and legally obliged to do things."

The International Paralympic Committee says Rio's organising committee has not raised enough money to fund the Paralympics.

Brazil's struggling economy and the fact that only 12% of available tickets have so far been sold have been blamed for the shortfall in funding for the Games, which start on 7 September.

Cuts are being made to venues, the workforce and transport, and retired British Paralympian Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, who has won 11 gold medals, believes some wealthy nations can also help out.

"Where we are really lucky in the British team is having the resources and set-up to mitigate much of this," she told 5 live.

"It's desperately disappointing for athletes who potentially can't get there. Maybe some of the better-off countries can step in and do whatever we can."

Organisers were meant to pay travel grants to all 165 participating countries by the end of July. The grants, paid to national Paralympic bodies, cover the travel costs for athletes and officials.

"The support grants should have been paid by the organising committee at the end of July and they have now committed to paying them this week," said IPC media and communications director Craig Spence.

"For 10 countries, those grants may be too late for them to afford their flight tickets - the IPC is working with them this week.

"If needs be, we will purchase their air tickets in advance and then receive the grant money on their behalf, so we are confident we will have everyone there."
    What's your opinion on the way Brazil has and still is handling the Paralympics?

Just wait till we're advanced enough to offer robotic prostheses on a grand scale.

The Olympics are widely considered lame af, but imagine the same olympic sports being done by Cyborgs!

Cha-ching bling bling.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally find the Paralympics to be a waste of time and resources, even moreso than the actual olympics which I find to be a waste of time and resources.

So i care neither way if either or neither stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Just wait till we're advanced enough to offer robotic prostheses on a grand scale.

The Olympics are widely considered lame af, but imagine the same olympic sports being done by Cyborgs!

Cha-ching bling bling.
    Like the tattoo artist who lost an arm so he made a prosthetic arm with a tat gun where the hand should be..fucking awesome!
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    I personally find the Paralympics to be a waste of time and resources, even moreso than the actual olympics which I find to be a waste of time and resources.

So i care neither way if either or neither stopped.
    Aren't you a bundle of joy....

I don't enjoy sport but appreciate the work and effort athletes put into their craft

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Aren't you a bundle of joy....

I don't enjoy sport but appreciate the work and effort athletes put into their craft
    If you are mentally unstable you are not a sport person.
    Paralympics are waste of time because none of those people are at their full capacity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Paralympics are waste of time because none of those people are at their full capacity.
    Are you high?

The Paralympics are for the physically disabled NOT mentally. Most are likely more intelligent than your average MMOC user

Neither are you, according to your latest reports you are barely functioning at 57.43% capacity. I advice you to turn off your computer and visit your local capacity-center before things get serious.

Are you high?

The Paralympics are for the physically disabled NOT mentally. Most are likely more intelligent than your average MMOC user
    Same shit diffrent letters big deal.
    They are waste of space and money and time.
    But so are the real olympics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    Neither are you, according to your latest reports you are barely functioning at 57.43% capacity. I advice you to turn off your computer and visit your local capacity-center before things get serious.
    You are not very good at making jokes i give you that.
    Keep on trying maybe some day you will improve to be in the Paralympics because so far it seems you are missing a Y chromozom.

Same shit diffrent letters big deal.
    They are waste of space and money and time.
    But so are the real olympics.

- - - Updated - - -

You are not very good at making jokes i give you that.
    Keep on trying maybe some day you will improve to be in the Paralympics because so far it seems you are missing a Y chromozom.
    It wasn't a joke, it I was merely pointing out the stupidity of the thing you perceive to be your argument.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    why not have a mobility obese Olympics
    Because obese people aren't fit and healthy, these people are?

Because obese people aren't fit and healthy, these people are?
    Yeah they are missing limbs but they are healthy its like saying been gay is normal lul.
    It is not lets not pretend either of those are a thing.

Just because its been accepted by society doesn't mean its normal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    healthy
    ˈhɛlθi/Submit
    adjective
    in a good physical or mental condition; in good health.

i would not call missing parts of your body to be in a good physical condition

Seems fitter and healthier than most people

Seems fitter and healthier than most people
    Still missing both his legs aka not healthy aka you are wrong aka god knows what type of meds these people use just to stay in shape kinda like the so called olympians that are constantly chugging steroids .

Lets not be fools we all know it but we pretend they don't take any enhancing drugs.
    If you believe this you are a fool.

Deleted
    Missing limbs doesn't affect health so no idea why you're repeating that

Okay i dare you to cut off your arm/leg/penis see how it doesn't affect your health .

Smh i think you are trolling so hard right now.

All right, I hope you don't actually believe this.

Deleted
    Okay i dare you to cut off your arm/leg/penis see how it doesn't affect your health .

Smh i think you are trolling so hard right now.
    If I cut my arm off I wouldn't be unhealthy 2 years on...

I find it rather telling that a thread on the paralympics on MMOC has page 1 of people saying

WASTE OF TIME
    THEY'RE NOT FIT
    WHY NOT CELEBRATE OBESE
    ETC ETC

I guess bitterness is rife

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    All right, I hope you don't actually believe this.
    Inconvenience doesn't = unhealthy

If I cut my arm off I wouldn't be unhealthy 2 years on...

I find it rather telling that a thread on the paralympics on MMOC has page 1 of people saying

WASTE OF TIME
    THEY'RE NOT FIT
    WHY NOT CELEBRATE OBESE
    ETC ETC

I guess bitterness is rife
    You are just a troll and reported for flat out been insane.

infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-08-21 at 02:48 PM.

You are just a troll and reported for flat out been insane.
    What? Lol after reading the first page I don't know how you can call him a troll.

"You lost a toe, now you have heart disease and respiratory failure, because you know if you lose a part of your body you aren't healthy any more!" Lose a leg, high blood pressure and clogged arteries!"