Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Charlie Hebdo and Italy earthquake drawing

Now I'm curious, do you still support them if you were in with the "Je suis Charlie" movement? I thought they were out of line then and they are out of line now. These are the people you've been supporting. Shooting them was a criminal act, but they aren't beacons of good either.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37260217

"Satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo has been criticised on social media for a cartoon depicting Italian earthquake victims as pasta dishes.

The cartoon which features in its current issue refers to the town of Amatrice, one of the areas hardest hit by the 6.2 magnitude earthquake last week.

Amatrice is home of spaghetti all'amatriciana, a dish with ingredients including tomato sauce, and guanciale ham.

The image shows an injured man and a woman standing next to a pile of rubble from which feet can be seen. Each of the standing figures has been named after a pasta dish.

The bandaged man is shown under the words penne tomato sauce, a woman with burns is depicted as penne gratin, and bodies lying beneath layers of rubble as lasagne all beneath the heading "Earthquake Italian style".

The cartoon which is being circulated on social media has attracted huge criticism globally and in Italy it has made the pages of Italian national newspapers La Stampa and Corriere della Serra.

It is not the first time #CharlieHebdo has been used on social media to express outrage at one of its cartoons.

@DaniBailo tweeted in Italian: "The cartoon you didn't expect. Worthy is the concept that satire is free but good taste has boundaries."

While @lellina23 posted: "This is disgusting. #CharlieHebdo you need to learn a little respect! #Italyearthquake #Italy"

In another post @RNocerino goes into detail criticising the cartoon. In it he states: "All I would like to say is if Charlie Hebdo was bombed again I shall not be participating in the status Je Suis Charlie.""

Edit: Hey guys, I realized one thing, which is that, through making this thread, I actually created publicity for them and their shocking comic and that's exactly what they wanted. Overall, if you had missed the comic before and saw it here, I'm sorry for exposing you to it. The comic itself was edited out, you can still see it in the link if you desire.

Also, overall, my opinion that I replied to several people: The terrorists that attached Charlie Hebdo years ago were criminals and got what they deserved. The people making the comics did not deserve to die. But their comics are shocking and quite offensive. And they have double standards, as they ban comics about jews but yell about freedom of speech regarding comics like this one and those about muslims. Overall, I felt that they are using their fame to spread shit and wanted people to realize this. Unfortunately, while doing so, I also exposed you to their comic, thus creating publicity for Charlie. So, sorry for that.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-09-03 at 07:12 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, I think it is disrespectful but I will still defend their right to publish these things.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Satire is and should be free, but this is not really satire anymore.

Deleted
    i never thought they were good people, but i still disagree that shooting them because they've upset you is worse. So i'd still support them if some italian went and shot their office up now, being offended doesn't make it right to kill people.

i think they are a bit stupid, they try way too hard to be edgy and make offensive stuff, but im guessing its legal and within their rights to do so

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'm the only one that found the comic funny...

One can both support press freedom and dislike something at the same time.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    a fair concept and i agree.

Wow that's a real douchebag move. Kicking a country that had a natural disaster when it's down. To be honest now I don't feel as bad about what happened. I mean it's horrible but if they're gonna produce stuff like that...

15+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has gone through multiple large earthquakes (some which killed people) it made me chuckle.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I guess I'm the only one that found the comic funny...
    You're not.

To the OP: Stop hating just because you don't have a taste for dark humor.

15+ Year Old Account
    What bothers me more is that this cartoon will invoke more emotion in a lot of people than the actual earthquake ever did.

Deleted
    Free speech is free speech... we can't go censoring offending shit these guys should be able to draw what they like and not get shot for it

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Yes, I think it is disrespectful but I will still defend their right to publish these things.
    That's all there is to say. Let people boycott them if they want to.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Free speech. It's just a bit of dark humour.

I love the false outrage.

You're so concerned about the Italian Earthquake, that you're hunting down news on satire based on it, and crying over it?

I love when people pretend to care about people on the other side of the world dying. You don't care. You're going through the motions, you're virtue signalling.

What do I mean? Every time an animal dies, we have Harambe or Cecil thrown around in every other sentence for a few days. When a plane goes down, thats the outcry for a week. How often do you think about the Nice Attacks? Not at all? Whats the phrase people use, when they don't think about something, at all, even a little bit, ever? Ah thats right "I don't care"

Yet you 'care' enough to cry over someones joke.

Of course I 'support' them, if 'supporting' them means I don't want to take away their right to free speech or laugh at dead people. Offense is never given ,it is always taken. Free speech doesn't care about what makes you feel good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Wow that's a real douchebag move. Kicking a country that had a natural disaster when it's down. To be honest now I don't feel as bad about what happened. I mean it's horrible but if they're gonna produce stuff like that...
    Comparing mass murder to edgy dark humour.

Yup, sounds about right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Comparing mass murder to edgy dark humour.
    Yup, sounds about right.
    They made something I don't like, they deserved being shot!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Indeed, but then im not surprised when people who are not all "there" so to speak snap.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Now I'm curious, do you still support them if you were in with the "Je suis Charlie" movement? I thought they were out of line then and they are out of line now. These are the people you've been supporting. Shooting them was a criminal act, but they aren't beacons of good either.
    And?

There are very, very few beacons of true, pure goodness. And there are very, very few beacons of true, pure evil. The vast majority of what we deal with in life is somewhere in between.

The whole point of the freedom of speech is to say things that are uncomfortable or offensive. If you are only free to say things that are comfortable to everyone, then that is not freedom of speech.

Do I approve of it? No, I think it is in poor taste, but I will defend their right to publish it. I don't approve of trash sites like Infowars or Breitbart either (only idiots take them seriously), but I will defend the right of their existence to write up their fictional take on reality.

In no case do I think anyone should be hurt, much less killed, over expressing their views...no matter how stupid or offensive it may be. If there is proof of harm, there are various legal methods to handle those problems...none of which involve injury or death.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did make me smirk so mission achieved for a cartoon I'd say.

People complaining and up in arms about things like this is exactly what's wrong with the world today. People who are "offended" by something someone says are a fucking cancerous growth in our society.