7+ Year Old Account

[Shadow] Some questions about Voidform

So there are a few questions I had to clarify some stuff i wasnt sure about.

1. When in Voidform, does insanity drain faster the longer you are in it, or is it always a steady decrease? (i ask this mostly cos it can sometimes feel like it drains faster after about 20 seconds).
    2. If you come out of Voidform with about 32-ish stacks of haste, you can get back to 100 insanity very quickly, but is it worth going back into voidform straight away? cos you lose that 30% chunk of haste, so im never quite sure what is the best time to get back into it.
    3. Does Mass Hysteria stack infinitely?
    4. Finally, when in Voidform, is it more efficient to use mind flay for a tick or two and then voidbolt or just wait for the voidbolt when it has just under 1 second of CD left?

Thank you in advance

Hey there.

1) Yes, the longer you are in voidform the faster your insanity drains.
    2) There is never a point where the haste from a previous voidform is better than going into a new voidform. the 20% damage buff is key along with Void Bolt.
    3) I know it stacks up to 100, however I'm not entirely certain if it continues past that.
    4) Mindflay is a filler and it's always worth cutting it off to cast VB, our 2nd highest priority spell (SW: D is #1 with RoS).

7+ Year Old Account
    What is the average duration of voidform i should be able to keep up/aim for?
    Right now im averaging 25-29 seconds, though i feel i should be able to optimise that better myself.

Also, since it depletes faster, how does that interact with StM? Should we use it only in the very end of a fight to get some sick deeps in? or is it reasonable to expect to maintain voidform through the whole fight with StM?

Well VF duration depends on your gear and stats. 25-29 seconds I alright, I usually get 30-35 depending on how fast something dies.

With StM you take a certain set of talents: Twist of Fate, Reaper of Souls, Auspicious Spirits, Power Infusion, and of course Surrender to Madness.

Ideally you'll want ~20% crit to keep up your insanity and your rotation will look like this:

100 Insanity with both dots >6 seconds, VE, MB, Dispersion (6 seconds), VB, Vtor (6seconds), VB, MB, Filler, VB, Filler, MB, etc etc.

Once you're around 60 stacks you'll have Vtor again which you'll want to use and your rotation will change to

VB -> MB -> VB -> Filler

Our filler in this case would be SW: D or Mindflay. You'll want to keep at least 1 charge of SW: D for that oh shit moment. If you can manage it (it gets difficult) you can achieve a 3rd Vtor at the 120 second mark as well as a second Dispersion which you'll most likely die soon after.

Ideally you want to time StM with the boss dying as you do or within ~5 seconds of you dying. Until that point you'll just do the normal priority list.

Voidform does not stack higher than 100.
    Tested with the insanity flask with 10 minute duration.
    It was ridiculous fun, went to the free for all area in Stormheim, from being underdog 1v1 to being a god, lol.

Voidform itself caps at 100, I'm just not sure if the coefficient for MH goes above it since your drain still increases despite the cap.

Just got the Void potion, going to test it now. But I am pretty sure that the damage of my DoTs didn't increased anymore after 100 stacks, last time when I had the Void potion.

But I read somewhere that the extra VF stacks from the Legendary Shoulders allow us to get more then 100 VF stacks (the stacks from the shoulders + 100), dont know how MH interacts with that (or the shoulder at all, do you start with incrased damage to SW: P and VT?)

/edit yep, VT's damage stopped at 2.389k at 100 stacks.
    Last edited by Alexieel; 2016-09-13 at 04:55 PM.