Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How come I could...

Explain this to me please.

How come I could play every waking hour of my life playing WoW from Vanilla launch day until the end of WOTLK?
    Because since then I found less and less content to be busy on outside of raids. Raids stay the same basically.

And don't tell me I grew up or it was new back then. Because my life has not changed that much. I was an adult with a fulltime job and own my own house when I started Vanilla just as I do now. And the game does not stay new for the better part of 6/7 years. So what is it?

I still played a lot during Cataclysm. Just less as there was imo already then, less to do.

Now currently I am still happy. I play as much as I can, which holds to about 10 hours a week I guess. But I see my reputation growing and slowly turning exalted with everything. I see no point into grinding more AP by doing WQ. I already stopped unless I accidentally do it. (just by being in the neighbourhood)

I got enough gold. I got enough gear to basically go anywhere. But I don't raid now. So I guess by december/january I'll be done with the current content.

I could unsub ofcourse. I had done so in WoD when I ran out of enjoyable content to do.

The thing is, from Vanilla until WOTLK I never ran out of content. I always had some objective or incentive to do something. Now it is just stupid really how quick even I a casual now.... run out of things to do.

What I don't get is these people on these boards... saying:
    "Well you can always unsub." I find this stupid because this never happened and I don't particularly WANT to unsub. I love WoW or use to for what it was.
    "Well you played the game too much!" Really? 10 hours a week is too much?
    "You rushed everything!" Really? So I took like 2 weeks or so to level to 110 and I have not even completed every quest as of today... and I rushed?
    "You could play alts!" Really? But before I could stick with 1 character for an entire expansion and now while most people cry this is the most altunfriendly expansion... I should level an alt?

I do have alts though. But I don't want to level alts. I want to keep progressing my character or atleast doing something fun.

There's plenty of things to do in Legion, definitely more than an expansion like WotLK.

Deleted
    Another Vanilla / TBC / WoTLK thread, next one?

You played WoW for over 12 years, eventually you'll get bored of most of the things in it apart from a certain thing (raids in your case).
    Just because you didnt get bored up until WotLK doesnt mean you cant get bored of the game later on.

Theres WQs, mythic+ take your pick.

Because the game was a grind fest back then and it has become less grindy since Wotlk ? Because it was new and you had to discover everything (professions, skills, world, etc etc) and now you are used to these mechanics ?

Do you do pvp ? Do you try to climb Mythic+ ?

How come when I first start a job, it's awesome and then after a few months or years it gets boring and stale even though I am doing the same thing?

How come after a few months into a relationship, I am not excited as much as I was at the beginning?

How come after 4 or 5 seasons, a TV show starts getting a bit repetitive and stale?

You've described human nature, friend. It sucks.

finish questing - not just for loremaster, but it opens up more variety in world quests.

do some Mythic+ keystone dungeons

get attuned for kara

empower your class weapons for other specs

get a legendary

get BiS

finish your class hall story line if you haven't already.

complete the dungeon quests from your class hall

do the weekly event quest

clear some old content solo for transmog

farm some mounts

pvp

LFR/normal/heroic/mythic emerald nightmare

if none of that takes your interest, might be time to unsub again. there's things to do, but if you cba to do any of it, why stay subbed?
    Last edited by smokii; 2016-11-04 at 09:32 AM.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Did you maybe used to go for achievements back in wotlk? There's a myriad of achievements which you could go for, too. I'm leveling a paladin alt just cause I want to go for Herald of the Titans. And besides that, my guild is currently progressing through mythic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post

How come I could play every waking hour of my life playing WoW from Vanilla launch day until the end of WOTLK?
    Because since then I found less and less content to be busy on outside of raids. Raids stay the same basically.

And don't tell me I grew up or it was new back then. Because my life has not changed that much. I was an adult with a fulltime job and own my own house when I started Vanilla just as I do now. And the game does not stay new for the better part of 6/7 years. So what is it?

I still played a lot during Cataclysm. Just less as there was imo already then, less to do.

Now currently I am still happy. I play as much as I can, which holds to about 10 hours a week I guess. But I see my reputation growing and slowly turning exalted with everything. I see no point into grinding more AP by doing WQ. I already stopped unless I accidentally do it. (just by being in the neighbourhood)

I got enough gold. I got enough gear to basically go anywhere. But I don't raid now. So I guess by december/january I'll be done with the current content.

I could unsub ofcourse. I had done so in WoD when I ran out of enjoyable content to do.

The thing is, from Vanilla until WOTLK I never ran out of content. I always had some objective or incentive to do something. Now it is just stupid really how quick even I a casual now.... run out of things to do.

"Well you can always unsub." I find this stupid because this never happened and I don't particularly WANT to unsub. I love WoW or use to for what it was.
    "You rushed everything!" Really? So I took like 2 weeks or so to level to 110 and I have not even completed every quest as of today... and I rushed?
    "You could play alts!" Really? But before I could stick with 1 character for an entire expansion and now while most people cry this is the most altunfriendly expansion... I should level an alt?

I do have alts though. But I don't want to level alts. I want to keep progressing my character or atleast doing something fun.
    Name one specific thing where vanilla had more to do?

If you mean pve pre raids then it took a week at most to farm BiS gear because the items dropepd from specific bosses, couldnt get ilvl upgrades(except for much later on) and the dungeons where farmable. Professions took less time getting up aswell. Outside of professions and dungeons, if you didnt raid, there was pvp. Much like there is pvp today.

PvP was a longer grind back then if you wanted to reach grand marshal. But i know of no grand marshal who didnt also raid.

These threads will always remind me of this: http://southpark.cc.com/clips/104270...grade-memories

Also, are you seriously comparing the game of today with the game back then when people wore the Explorer and Jenkins titles unironically?

Play on one of the good Vanilla or WotLK private servers. You will notice the difference immediately if it's something you really miss or just think you do (but don't).

For me, it was something I missed and don't regret a single thing joining the Private server scene.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm starting to think it's not the game it's you. I feel the same about WoW and I realized back then all I did was pretty much grindy the same but somehow I enjoyed it.
    Right now I'm playing maybe 2 hours on the reset day and then 30 min tops every day to do the basic emissary WQ, checking AH etc. It's definitely me, Legion has tons of content sure more than Vanilla or Tbc (not saying it's better) but I simply don't enjoy spending that much time in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Another Vanilla / TBC / WoTLK thread, next one?
    Another non - constructive reply, next one?

On topic (and constructive),

I was the same, played a lot in tbc, constantly in wrath. Now I play about the same as you, but honestly, I don't think its burn out, I think I'm just better at how I organise my time more ingame, where as in TBC, I'd run around doing a bit of this a bit of that, where as know I work my game time around my work time. Example, I'm in the middle of a degree, so I dedicate 3 hours minimal a day for the nights I know I want to game, if I work 4 hours, I know Im good to have two hours ingame, so I plan ahead what I want to do, so I get straight in and do it.

Also, I believe wows become more efficent in its self. For example, lets look at reputations, in wrath we slapped on a tabard and off we went grinding dungeons for hours, in TBC we got the rep from specific dungeons. Now we get rep from world quests, again if your like me, you just log in and do the 4 for the emisarry and thats you done. its nearly 2k rep for 20 minutes work.

A lot of it has to do with the overall digital evolution.

8-12 years ago your digital life moved a lot slower. You probably still read newspapers, or at least longer digital articles. No Facebook, no Twitter, etc. The internet had banner adds, but not much bot-generated click-bait.
    - Or in other words: Not anywhere near the instant gratification of the current media setup.

TV shows were at the same slot every week, which allowed for more stable game time. Now you can stream what you want, when you want it. You did not have tons of other things competing for your attention either.

Now you have tons of other things you can do with your available time. So you, as a person, have learned to be more critical on what you do. I bet you also idle less in the game. If you look back at vanilla and removed the time you spent idling, grinding, or farming you would find that you probably played even less than what you do now. Grinding and farming have all but disappeared. For anyone who played for a long time they already did most of the stuff that required grinding. Think about it: If you had completed all the grindy achievements prior to Legion, what is there really left to do with excess time?

So yes, the game has gotten less things to eat your time. But more so you have gotten more used to not spending a lot of time on anything in life. Which naturally also rubs off on the way you play games.

Don't know what to tell you, the only thing that has changed in my point of view is pet battles. Everything else is basically the same. You can go grind rep, you can grind xp, you can grind dailies, you can pvp, you can farm mats. Everything is the same, cept now you also have pet battles.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Another non - constructive reply, next one?

On topic (and constructive),

I was the same, played a lot in tbc, constantly in wrath. Now I play about the same as you, but honestly, I don't think its burn out, I think I'm just better at how I organise my time more ingame, where as in TBC, I'd run around doing a bit of this a bit of that, where as know I work my game time around my work time. Example, I'm in the middle of a degree, so I dedicate 3 hours minimal a day for the nights I know I want to game, if I work 4 hours, I know Im good to have two hours ingame, so I plan ahead what I want to do, so I get straight in and do it.

Also, I believe wows become more efficent in its self. For example, lets look at reputations, in wrath we slapped on a tabard and off we went grinding dungeons for hours, in TBC we got the rep from specific dungeons. Now we get rep from world quests, again if your like me, you just log in and do the 4 for the emisarry and thats you done. its nearly 2k rep for 20 minutes work.
    Yeah and your post was constructive. I can do that too with my IRL experience let's see.
    In Wotlk and Cata and Mop and WoD i was not working yet so i cuold play WoW and videogames a lot. Now i work and i can play 2/3 hours after dinner during week and a bit more (not always) on weekends. I sometimes quit my sub when i got bored of game.
    The point is, this entire thread is not constructive. It's sharing opinion, and it's kinda obvious the OP is hiding a nostaglia feeling behind this.
    Nothing wrong with this but you can't ask to be "constructive".
    Now if thread was "How i can spend my game time in Legion without feeling bored?", now you can be constructive.

Deleted

I remember in WotlK doing nothing but raiding and farming herbs cause all the rep grinds were just mindlessly doing the same 5 dailies every day for months, having more fun in legion with achievable goals outside raiding.

Realllly now. Did you raid competitively or at all in Vanilla? If you didn't there was virtually nothing for anyone else to do besides some dungeons, and ubrs/lbrs were a long endeavor for a pug to take on. PVP in vanilla was still very basic so okay I'll give you having 1 additional thing to do in Vanilla.

WQ's didn't exist, achievements didn't exist, pets didn't exist.
    TBC started to introduce more dungeons, dailies, but still very much focused on end game content and it was gated as such.
    Wrath started to fix this and expanded on somewhat easier content.

Legion by far gives people the MOST flexibility to do thing and at their own pace. People set their own arbitrary goal posts for what they feel they need to achieve.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    Realllly now. Did you raid competitively or at all in Vanilla? If you didn't there was virtually nothing for anyone else to do besides some dungeons, and ubrs/lbrs were a long endeavor for a pug to take on. PVP in vanilla was still very basic so okay I'll give you having 1 additional thing to do in Vanilla.
    R13 PvP was a 18 h / day grind for months.
    Leveling all classes to 60 took forever.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People will say you're burned out or it's nostalgia or whatever. They're wrong. I had the same experience except I managed to stay subbed for and enjoy all of MoP as well. I actually think I stayed subbed to Cata longer than I did Legion. Legion is almost as bad as WoD, but not quite.