10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Canada, Norway and Ireland to compete for UN Security council seats

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/just...ncil-1.3764441

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will use his speech to the United Nations General Assembly next week to present his plan for a more prosperous and peaceful world — positioning Canada as worthy of a seat on the UN Security Council.

During two days of meetings in New York City, Trudeau will focus heavily on the global refugee and migrant crisis. Trudeau will arrive armed with a track record of successfully welcoming more than 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada and a commitment to send Canadian troops to join UN-led peacekeeping efforts, most likely in Africa.

All of that fuels one of Canada's main goals during this trip — to present Trudeau as a significant progressive leader on the world stage and make the case that the Security Council needs Canada's perspective around the table.

Ireland and Norway are Canada's competitors in a three-way battle for two seats on the Security Council. The seat Canada has targeted becomes available in 2021-22, with the election being held in 2020. But the campaigns to secure a seat can run for a decade, so Trudeau — who announced his intentions to seek a Security Council seat in March — is playing catch-up.

A seat on the Security Council will allow Canada to return to a position of international influence it last held in 1999-2000. The former Conservative government tried to get a seat in 2010, but withdrew its candidacy when it became clear Canada would not get enough votes to win.
    'A more prosperous world is a more peaceful world'

When the prime minister speaks to the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, the focus of his speech, according to an official who spoke on background, will be Trudeau's view that "a more prosperous world is a more peaceful world."
    It will touch on many of the themes Trudeau has used domestically when selling his economic agenda to grow the middle class and ensure that growth is more inclusive.

He won a high-profile endorsement for that approach this week from Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, who expressed hope that Canada's economic approach can become a global trend.

After already relocating 25,000 Syrians to Canada, and promising to accept at least 10,000 more, Canada isn't expected to make a major refugee announcement while in New York.

Instead, a top official said, Trudeau is expected to announce a series of specific measures to help refugees successfully integrate into their new homes.

The official also cautioned there will be no more details on Canada's promise to join UN peacekeeping efforts beyond the $450 million and 600 troops pledged last month. Canadian officials are in Africa assessing mission options, but a final decision is still months away.

The Trudeau government likes to say "Canada is back."

It would love to say Canada is back on the United Nations Security Council.
    What do you think? Which of the three will make it in?
    Based on this article I think it's a sure thing that Canada will take one of the seats and Norway and Ireland will have to battle for 2nd.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Not Canada, Canadians are too nice so they'll just give it to the Norwegians LUL.

Ireland =/= Brexit, ain't gonna get it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    Not Canada, Canadians are too nice so they'll just give it to the Norwegians LUL. Ireland =/= Brexit, ain't gonna get it
    ireland isnt a member of the EU and this was way before brexit, and besides UK has a permanent seat on the UN counci las we are one of the founders of it

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Go away FurryFox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    ireland isnt a member of the EU and this was way before brexit, and besides UK has a permanent seat on the UN counci las we are one of the founders of it
    I recall Ireland using the Euro when I visited recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    Ireland is a member of the EU and is also part of the Eurozone.

Perhaps you're mixing it up with Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Ireland is a member of the EU and is also part of the Eurozone.

Perhaps you're mixing it up with Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK.
    I'm convinced that they just say things they know are wrong to try to get people to call them an idiot so they get an infraction. I refuse to believe that the travesty that's presented by that account is a real person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Not to nation bash (I love Canada) but giving it to them is like putting saudi arabia on the human rights panel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Give one of them to Norway, we're tiny and really appreciate getting mentioned internationally - for anything, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Not to nation bash (I love Canada) but giving it to them is like putting saudi arabia on the human rights panel.
    This is plain nation bashing. Canada is a leader in human rights.

They can have ours, were going to leave the UN and kick them out of our country.