15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I can confidently say that there has never been a design meeting where the agenda was, "How can we annoy our players." It's an environmental hazard/soft barrier, treat it as such. That's what it's designed to be, that's what it functions as. Man, I don't think anyone could have foreseen water/swimming being one of the most contentious issues for New World.
    So they didn't purposefully restrict the opening of the inventory and it was just an accident? Are you really going to suggest that they are that inept that things like that were accidental?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So they didn't purposefully restrict the opening of the inventory and it was just an accident? Are you really going to suggest that they are that inept that things like that were accidental?
    No, that's likely to head off, "Amazon sucks, I stopped to check my inventory while crossing a stream and I DROWNED! PLS FIX!" Yes I know there's a small part of the water depth where you're not drowning but lose the ability to do stuff, too.

It's also incredibly, insanely, massively trivial. Especially if like, you see the game design repeatedly telling you, "Water is bad. It is risky. Stay away from water." as it literally does. Will it kill you to run a few feet towards shore before you swap gear or a consumable or something?

15+ Year Old Account
    No, that's likely to head off, "Amazon sucks, I stopped to check my inventory while crossing a stream and I DROWNED! PLS FIX!" Yes I know there's a small part of the water depth where you're not drowning but lose the ability to do stuff, too.
    So you drown when above water now? It doesn't matter if it is incredibly, insanely, massively trivial. It can still be a poor design.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

So you drown when above water now? It doesn't matter if it is incredibly, insanely, massively trivial. It can still be a poor design.
    It's design you disagree with, it's not poor. I'm about tapped out on water discussions though.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's design you disagree with, it's not poor. I'm about tapped out on water discussions though.
    How in the world is it a good design to block the opening of an inventory when you aren't even at risk? Just because you agree with it doesn't make it good design.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    bad design would be an invisible barrier you can't cross for no reason. Good design has a reason you can't cross said barrier even if you disagree with said reason.
    Not sure if I agree with that statement.
    It's certainly not good design either if you make it accessible but everything you do with it/inside it/around is stops working properly and kinda randomly.

like... if you just walk into water and drown because your character refused to interact with anything and water is basically some kind of "poison fog" you walk into and die then that's not good design either.

All these "extra steps" seem pointless when they are done that poorly. An invisible barrier in shallow water (right before you can't do anything anymore) would be a much better approach.
    Alongside different animations and visual clues (you see your character moving differently in water etc.) and all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post

Having client-side authority without validation on server side in any MMO is insane.
    I am by no means a IT expert, but even I understand this is a MAJOR problem. Holy shit this is a huge one.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also incredibly, insanely, massively trivial. Especially if like, you see the game design repeatedly telling you, "Water is bad. It is risky. Stay away from water." as it literally does. Will it kill you to run a few feet towards shore before you swap gear or a consumable or something?
    I mean.. If they REALLY wants us to NOT be in the water whatsoever, they could have been a bit more creative with it. Its just blantantly lazy not bothering doing anything with it except "lol yeah you cant swim so you walk and drown".

Just the fact we cant traverse the whole world as we please is just weird in a MMORPG. If I want to cross a river, let me swim or run over the bridge. Let me choose. Theres a decent climbing feature and often enough i've asked myself "will I run around this hilltopp or try to climb over it"?

You cant ask yourself that when it comes to water. You gotta find the bridge.

If they are so stubborn about us not swimming in the water, put some mobs in there that is really hard to fight at the very least. Just something.

They could also have put chests/Treasures on the bottom of the sea/rivers with mobs guarding it. Whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Sorta ran into a problem. Got around level 25 and I completely ran out of quests to do. If I go to a new town, the quests there are to low leveled, and if I go into the new 25+ zone its more geared towards level 30 players. So I've been spamming those tasks on the mission board for the past few levels, great profession experience but really slow level exp rates. Honestly just getting bored of it now and don't feel like playing anymore.

Also did my first dungeon was a complete trainwreck of a zerg mess. Group just wanted speedrun through it and I couldn't really take anything in. Have fun trying to manage your inventory weight while all that's happening with all the crap that's dropped. And the requirement for melee combat to always be near and pointed exactly at the enemy to him them doesn't work so well when the game is this choppy. It really just reminds me of the soulless dungeon design from Final Fantasy and ESO. WoW still holds the title for being able to actually make them, is it that hard to copy them?
    The dungeon experience in NW is probably one of the worst i've ever had in a MMORPG. Its utter shite and it makes me appreciate the dungeons/raids in wow so much more. Been taking that kind of dungeon/raid quality a given for to long.

you see the game design repeatedly telling you, "Water is bad. It is risky. Stay away from water." as it literally does
    You, playing someone who arrived on this ISLAND by boat : ... Okay then, I'm a sailor having traveled for months but I'm afraid of water, got it

This can be seen as bad design for an obvious reason : you cannot open inventory in water because of the specific animation/background when you do. It's a case where they've clearly chosen prettiness over functionality.
    And when you don't want to / don't care about / don't know how to implement swimming, you usually prevent the players from going into the water (à la GTA). Otherwise, you know people will ridicule your "artists" for being perfectly OK with "walking on rivers' bottom until you die".
    I mean, swimming is usually not the preferred solution to go from point A to B, especially in a PvP game with muskets/bows. But a sailor drowning in a 2-meter-deep river ? Come on.

It was acceptable to not have swimming animations in the 2000s. This just show how much those devs didn't care. We know Swimming in New World is not the focal point of the game, but it's ridiculous not being able to.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I am by no means a IT expert, but even I understand this is a MAJOR problem. Holy shit this is a huge one.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean.. If they REALLY wants us to NOT be in the water whatsoever, they could have been a bit more creative with it. Its just blantantly lazy not bothering doing anything with it except "lol yeah you cant swim so you walk and drown".

Just the fact we cant traverse the whole world as we please is just weird in a MMORPG. If I want to cross a river, let me swim or run over the bridge. Let me choose. Theres a decent climbing feature and often enough i've asked myself "will I run around this hilltopp or try to climb over it"?

You cant ask yourself that when it comes to water. You gotta find the bridge.

If they are so stubborn about us not swimming in the water, put some mobs in there that is really hard to fight at the very least. Just something.

They could also have put chests/Treasures on the bottom of the sea/rivers with mobs guarding it. Whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

The dungeon experience in NW is probably one of the worst i've ever had in a MMORPG. Its utter shite and it makes me appreciate the dungeons/raids in wow so much more. Been taking that kind of dungeon/raid quality a given for to long.
    but it's meant to be the next WoW killer! /s

people make fun of bugs in WoW but jesus christ I've never seen them have a bug that big. It is gonna take some serious work to undo that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    but it's meant to be the next WoW killer! /s

people make fun of bugs in WoW but jesus christ I've never seen them have a bug that big. It is gonna take some serious work to undo that.
    Uhm yeah, basically re-coding the entire game. I mean when you see how many bugs, glitches and exploits do exist in New World, you really just can "A Realm Reborn" this mess of a game. I think at this point not even Amazon is aware of all the issues. I mean right now it's a guessing game if the tooltip is correct or the underlying math is, because both in most cases don't match.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

The bean counters pushed this out the door before it was ready so they could start making money off of it.

I had high hopes for this MMO, I mean its Amazon FFS, they have more money than god at this point.

But I guess having all the money in the world isn't enough to make a great MMO.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Uhm yeah, basically re-coding the entire game. I mean when you see how many bugs, glitches and exploits do exist in New World, you really just can "A Realm Reborn" this mess of a game. I think at this point not even Amazon is aware of all the issues. I mean right now it's a guessing game if the tooltip is correct or the underlying math is, because both in most cases don't match.
    The exploitation will continue too, everyone will do it - and there probably won’t be any penalties because of how widespread it is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    But I guess having all the money in the world isn't enough to make a great MMO.
    not when u try to cut all possible costs to minimum and hire pajeets to do all the work, even as community managers on their official forums...
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    The exploitation will continue too, everyone will do it - and there probably won’t be any penalties because of how widespread it is
    How will you track if someone is "moving" their window mode game around? Like honestly, some of the issues are so widespread and massive, you have to question what kind of developers worked on this game.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    not when u try to cut all possible costs to minimum and hire pajeets to do all the work, even as community managers on their official forums...
    Nice, ethnic slurs always make your idiocy sound more convincing.

They are really in between a rock and a hard place, how many bugs would be introduced if they tried to recode?

How in the world is it a good design to block the opening of an inventory when you aren't even at risk? Just because you agree with it doesn't make it good design.
    Why is it bad design? Bad design is only so when it contradicts the rules by which the player must play the game.

The game rules, design, state water is hazardous and impeding to the player.

How does reduced functionality to the player in water contradict that design?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The game rules, design, state water is hazardous and impeding to the player. How does reduced functionality to the player in water contradict that design?
    How is not being able to open your inventory when in water that slows your character down good design? None of this word play BS you are so fond of. Clearly state why limiting inventory access is a good design. Can you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Why is it bad design? Bad design is only so when it contradicts the rules by which the player must play the game.

The game rules, design, state water is hazardous and impeding to the player.

How does reduced functionality to the player in water contradict that design?
    the water isnt hazardous or impending on the players. Its just a plain barrier with a stupid mechanic added to it. We can literally traverse the whole world, but water? nah. If anything, the water/rivers is welcoming but quickly turns silly & bad when you enter it.

I get they want to slog us all into the same small bridges and all that for the potential Wpvp, but part of Wpvp is also to always have options to traverse the terrain as you see fit for whatever reason. Theres even a decent climbing feature in the game, so they clearly want players to go out there and explore.

Also, not being able to open inventory whenver is just bad design overall. Makes no sense whatsoever. So many times i've wanted to check inventory for stuff while I do mindless running, but I gotta stop.

How is not being able to open your inventory when in water that slows your character down good design? None of this word play BS you are so fond of. Clearly state why limiting inventory access is a good design. Can you do that?
    You said it was a bad design. How? What does it contradict in the rules the player must interface with- games are about gameplay. Gameplay is how you must play the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    the water isnt hazardous or impending on the players.
    You drown in the water and are slowed and limited significantly in actions by the water. This is both an object hazard and an impediment.

Also, not being able to open inventory whenver is just bad design overall.
    Why (detached of your feelings) is it bad design; what does it contradict in the game rules as expressed to the player?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, patch-related; the stealth nerfs are somewhat irritating to me but there is a pretty big bug with the trading post now because of it. Probably wanna check your offline sales or remove your pending sales.