Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Not to be confused with the bastardized political catchphrase used to mock sympathizers of black protests. This is the actual phrase, "didn't do nothing", which i've heard from all races.

Why do people say this shit? "Didn't do nothing" implies that they did SOMETHING. Yet when people use it, they're proclaiming innocense.

What kind of shit is that?
    Some people like creating racist stereotypes to easily dismiss claims they don't agree with but can't engage at a deeper level.

Some people are shitty like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    The word you are looking for is irrigardlessly.
    I believe that's "the word your looking for".

It wasn't me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer "ain't did nothing" one.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

They don't want to get in trouble.

/shrug

Doesn't "didn't do nothing" mean you did something? Two negations make a truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Doesn't "didn't do nothing" mean you did something? Two negations make a truth.
    No, it doesn't.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Not always true in spoken language! Actually one of the reasons why language change occurs - things sound better, someone picks it up, herds of people follow, and suddenly all your major vowels shift and you're stuck with weird words like feet and foot.
    It sounds better?

No, it sounds fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No, it doesn't.
    I thought the correct form of the sentence is "I did nothing".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I thought the correct form of the sentence is "I did nothing".
    Unless one wants to stress the nothingness of their deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Unless one wants to stress the nothingness of their deed.
    A quick search on google made me conclude that "I didn't do nothing" is semantically incorrect to use if the intention is to say one didn't do anything. Also, there doesn't seem to be such a phrase in English. It's nothing more than a shitty slang phrase it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Comes from white rednecks, and was passed on to black rednecks. They just don't think logically I guess - if they did they'd see the double negative. (btw I think the dindu thing is more about those who sympathize with criminals who are given vigils, although that's a different topic).
    We need to decolonize language black rednecks speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many of you seem to need a homework assignment -- go study up on AAVE.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

When I was young and lived in the ghetto, I said that a lot. Now that I am an adult and have a basic education, I say "I didn't do (whatever it is you think I did )"

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Some people like creating racist stereotypes to easily dismiss claims they don't agree with but can't engage at a deeper level.

Oh you mean like "muh gender rolls" wasn't a stereotype draped with racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

That goes both ways too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account

We don't need no education.

Negative concord is a thing in several languages (mine -Spanish-, for instance). If one spends some time around non native speakers, they're bound to see those patterns emerge here and there.
    Litotes can also employ a correct occurrence of double negatives.

Languages aren't mathematics and do not need to employ the standard logic rules for negations that most of us learn in school (there are other rules and other logics, too).
    Thus, double negations do not necessarily express a positive. They were the rule in English dialects of past times, even.

Deleted
    That's annoying, sure.

But, compare it to "I would of..."

I mean... I can't even write the rest of what I wanted out of pure frustration.

"Hey, did you do homework?"

"I would of (!!!!!!) done it but didn't have time. "

All language errors seem benign compared to this one.

The worst thing is when someone with any British accent says it.

"I wOooOuld OFFF done it!!!"