Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I still don't get the Overwatch vs. Battleborn thing. Battleborn is firmly a moba from everything I've seen, it's pure moba design. Overwatch is an objective based shooter a la TF2. It shares little to nothing in common with Battleborn beyond the fact that it has unique characters and is a first person shooter.

From a purely visual standpoint, yeah, both are bright, colorful, stylized shooters. But I can't really see much that ties them together beyond them both being FPS games with similar visual design directions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I picked it up off the humblebundle a while back, and there was plenty of gameplay there for 6 bucks... I'm not looking for some new "world" to be part of though, so there were no longterm prospects for me.. just the shortterm singleplayer experience and the quirky humor.
    BUt the writing is so very, very bad. The characters are embarrasing and the story utterly forgetable.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Answer me this, before this event, does Battleborn have any sort of Try-before-you-buy system? A hero or 2 free to play? Trial editions? Anything of the sort? Or is this weekend the first of it's kind for BB?

Overwatch has had them sprinkled here and there and I think helped it massively, letting people check out the game before they dropped 40/60 euro on it. BB is a flat 60 quid, and no trial version must have hurt it massively.
    That sounds plausible to me. OW did a great job building hype with the open beta and free to play weekend. (I have no idea if Gearbox did something similar)

At least you can pick up a preowned copy of Battleborn super cheap, it's $15-20 at most retailers.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    And there's moments in any game where you can't win but you still play it cause its fun and it's not like you get nothing for losing
    Not winning for a lot isn't fun even more so when there is zero chance you can win. Once again this is a moba so that system isn't anything new. Some people just rather move on to the next game and not waste 10min-20min.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I still don't get the Overwatch vs. Battleborn thing. Battleborn is firmly a moba from everything I've seen, it's pure moba design. Overwatch is an objective based shooter a la TF2. It shares little to nothing in common with Battleborn beyond the fact that it has unique characters and is a first person shooter.

From a purely visual standpoint, yeah, both are bright, colorful, stylized shooters. But I can't really see much that ties them together beyond them both being FPS games with similar visual design directions.
    The issue is the way Gearbox marketed the game and tried to be like (Hey ignore overwatch and get this). This is a moba with a tower defense SP mode.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

OW does have moba-like elements, the ultimates give team fights a moba flair but the comparison ends there.

Again, I think this illustrates the problem that Battleborn has faced, from the start its been seen as an OW clone and never really had a solid identity.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Eh. It's what they get for leaving the Borderlands story unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    OW does have moba-like elements, the ultimates give team fights a moba flair but the comparison ends there.

Again, I think this illustrates the problem that Battleborn has faced, from the start its been seen as an OW clone and never really had a solid identity.
    Battleborn was seen as a OW clone by people who didn't play it or watch any Gameplay of it. This game is way more close to smite then OW.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

15+ Year Old Account

Gearbox marketed it like an Overwatch competitor and released it in the same window, much to their misfortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    Eh. It's what they get for leaving the Borderlands story unfinished.
    Ya because a company/developer should only make one game series until its done right......

Gearbox is low on my list of company's to defend, but people shouldn't shit on a company/game because they made X and not Y.

That's stretching it pretty thin, as characters having powerful "ultimate abilities" that they need to charge up isn't unique to MOBA's in the slightest. Even then, in MOBA's those abilities are generally rewarded for hitting a certain level and player performance has little to nothing to do with how often it is ready for use.

The only people who see it as an OW clone have no idea what either game is, then. Because they're barely similar, and their differences far outnumber their similarities. Battleborn pulls firmly from MOBA design in everything form how its abilities work, how maps are designed, how objectives function, how gameplay is paced etc. etc. etc. while Overwatch pulls much more heavily from TF2 or Unreal Tournament (though it's still way slower) for the majority of its design and looks towards more modern online games for character progression (well, account progression) as well as how the ultimates work (think charging them up a la perks in CoD).

Again, unless you were only looking at the visual design of both MMO's, there's no way to view Battleborn as an Overwatch clone. Heck, there's more credibility behind the "Paladins is an Overwatch clone!" arguments than this, and Paladins isn't a bloody Overwatch clone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Battleborn was seen as a OW clone by people who didn't play it or watch any Gameplay of it. This game is way more close to smite then OW.
    It was also crap. I played both in beta and it was basic things like collision on stones causing you to get stuck mid-gunfight, that really turned me off of it versus Overwatch. They may not be the same genre but they shared a demographic - one that has decided OW is better.

Ya because a company/developer should only make one game series until its done right......

Gearbox is low on my list of company's to defend, but people shouldn't shit on a company/game because they made X and not Y.
    Oh I'm fine with making more different games. But to leave a story on a cliffhanger? Gross. They should've left the beginning/ending out of the presequel if they were gonna make a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    BUt the writing is so very, very bad. The characters are embarrasing and the story utterly forgetable.
    So basically the latest and greatest Adam Sandler movie, but half the price of admission.

Deleted
    Too little too late. Sadly Gearbox thought it was a good idea to launch this game ontop of Overwatch which is mindboggling retarded and with a full price tag even. Ingame, personally, is a giant clusterfuck of colors that makes it nauseating to maintain control of wtf is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    It was also crap. I played both in beta and it was basic things like collision on stones causing you to get stuck mid-gunfight, that really turned me off of it versus Overwatch. They may not be the same genre but they shared a demographic - one that has decided OW is better.
    I wouldn't say they shared the same Demographic since BB is a Moba and OW is a fps shooter in the style of TF2. The issue is Gearbox marketed it as a OW style game and that along with its release caused its death.

Personally I like both and each have pro's and cons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    Oh I'm fine with making more different games. But to leave a story on a cliffhanger? Gross. They should've left the beginning/ending out of the presequel if they were gonna make a new game.
    Presequel wasn't made by Gearbox....

Deleted
    Presequel wasn't made by Gearbox....
    It was. 2K AUS and Gearbox developed it.
    Even then, if the company is struggling that hard to get players into the game, why the fuck is the game still 50 dollar on steam?

The problem came from the marketing. The TV and Youtube commericals showed FPS shooter gameplay without explaining it was actually a first-person MOBA. Furthermore, they showed many different characters as a selling point - similar to another certain title releasing at the time. Ultimately came down to consumers not being informed as to what made BB different from OW. The lack of information was so bad, TotalBiscuit had to make a twenty minute long video on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    It was. 2K AUS and Gearbox developed it.
    http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Bo...The_Pre-Sequel
    is a video game developed by 2K Australia with cooperation from Gearbox Software, formally announced on April 9th, 2014 and released on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on October 14th, 2014 for America, October 16th, 2014 for Australasia, and October 17th, 2014 for Europe. It was later included alongside Borderlands 2 as part of Borderlands: The Handsome Collection on March 27th, 2015.
    Gearbox didn't develop it, They only weighted in on it. It was also the last game 2k Australia made before they shutdown and you could tell it was made by them because it was censored.

I am not the biggest fan of BL but OMG the amount of censoring it had pissed me off.

Its best to pretend Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel didn't happen.

Edit: Trust me Gearbox "Cooperated" with them on this as much as they did with ACM and Duke Nukem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    The problem came from the marketing. The TV and Youtube commericals showed FPS shooter gameplay without explaining it was actually a first-person MOBA. Furthermore, they showed many different characters as a selling point - similar to another certain title releasing at the time. Ultimately came down to consumers not being informed as to what made BB different from OW. The lack of information was so bad, TotalBiscuit had to make a twenty minute long video on it.
    Yep Marketing killed what I would call is a decent game. What made me stop playing was the screen clutter and the fact I don't stay on games long unless they really really interest me.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-11-13 at 10:44 PM.

Not winning for a lot isn't fun even more so when there is zero chance you can win. Once again this is a moba so that system isn't anything new. Some people just rather move on to the next game and not waste 10min-20min.
    The main problem with the surrender option is that people abuse it, the second things are not going your way they surrender. It sucks for both sides. Your down by 1 and your team surrenders like it's shit
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The main problem with the surrender option is that people abuse it, the second things are not going your way they surrender. It sucks for both sides. Your down by 1 and your team surrenders like it's shit
    Its a system where pro's outweigh cons IMO.