HELP with a trinket. Mana Crystal Shard is just too good ?

First of all here is my character: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simula...be972720476bcf

I'm having trouble getting an upgrade for my trinket ... 865 Mana Crystal Shard with Socket.

Every trinket I try seems inferior.

880 Spontaneous Appendages : 2k dps loss
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simula...5e86aac17a152b

880 Bloodthirsty Instinct: 500 dps loss
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simula...32ca61517bdefc

865 Memento of Angerboda: 500 dps loss

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simula...d279e4fcca0d8f

so... is Mr robot bugged ?

or is this trinket just that insanely good ?

If I were you I would double check AMR against Simcraft and actually testing it on a dummy. AMR seems to be pretty darn good in a lot of respects, but I've noticed that it seems to have almost hard-baked values for certain trinkets and items that surely do not account for all of the other variables thrown into the mix. For example, AMR shows my 860 Eye of Command to ALWAYS outperform my 875 Ethereal Urn, when through both personal testing and SimulationCraft I've found that if I'm already at 44%+ crit without the Eye the value of it begins to drop.

That said, for your specific gear, it would make sense that the mana crystal shard is going to stay your best. Your Spontaneous Appendages loses agi for mastery, where the agi would help amplify tthat slightly greater amount of AP damage through your crazy mastery levels than the appendages proc, which won't benefit as much. Likewise while BTI gives a ton more agi since you are running high-mastery AP the mastery is going to continue to outvalue even a big uptime on our tremendously worst secondary stat.
    Memento might be a better idea overall though- the 500 dps loss over the 2,000 iterations AMR runs is the median value. Just a guess here but I'd bet that Memento has a higher max dmg (and min damage) spread. Memento probably gives you a better shot at a few dank logs.

Quote Originally Posted by lobocito View Post
    If I were you I would double check AMR against Simcraft and actually testing it on a dummy. AMR seems to be pretty darn good in a lot of respects, but I've noticed that it seems to have almost hard-baked values for certain trinkets and items that surely do not account for all of the other variables thrown into the mix. For example, AMR shows my 860 Eye of Command to ALWAYS outperform my 875 Ethereal Urn, when through both personal testing and SimulationCraft I've found that if I'm already at 44%+ crit without the Eye the value of it begins to drop.

That said, for your specific gear, it would make sense that the mana crystal shard is going to stay your best. Your Spontaneous Appendages loses agi for mastery, where the agi would help amplify tthat slightly greater amount of AP damage through your crazy mastery levels than the appendages proc, which won't benefit as much. Likewise while BTI gives a ton more agi since you are running high-mastery AP the mastery is going to continue to outvalue even a big uptime on our tremendously worst secondary stat.
    Memento might be a better idea overall though- the 500 dps loss over the 2,000 iterations AMR runs is the median value. Just a guess here but I'd bet that Memento has a higher max dmg (and min damage) spread. Memento probably gives you a better shot at a few dank logs.
    thanks for the reply.

i don't use simcraft because i dont know how to use it.. so i stick with mr robot it's easier.

i think you're right about Memento with RNG and lucky with buffs it can outperform Mana Crystal. but it worth it ?

i will change a stable trinket with a linear dps gain for something that can be good or bad based on more RNG.

You're talking about a 500dps difference here on an item that probably gives +25k damage, that's a 2% difference when simulations (especially outside of perfectly updated simcraft) often have more error than that.

If you're worried about a small % difference then figure out simcraft and ask some people in the rogue discord channel. If not then go with whichever you like, as long as it seems reasonably close. The way that the trinket adds its damage (flat statstick, type of proc etc..) is usually more important than the exact DPS anyway
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2016-12-11 at 03:45 PM.

If you were sub or outlaw you would use the 880 BTI over the 865 memento.

In your case, use memento until you get an 880+ urn or eye of garm(crit/versa/mastery) or an 880+ memento, i'm partial to urn/garm though.

Quote Originally Posted by scarfdeath View Post
    i don't use simcraft because i dont know how to use it.. so i stick with mr robot it's easier.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...g8uveUv4c/edit

Follow that. It will take <10 minutes, and once it's set up, it's just as easy.

This Crystal Shard sucks, takes ages long to proc, I'd go with Memento of Angerboda, because if any of your party/raid members die, it procs

Quote Originally Posted by Shyguyy View Post
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...g8uveUv4c/edit

Follow that. It will take <10 minutes, and once it's set up, it's just as easy.
    thanks i will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by skindown View Post
    This Crystal Shard sucks, takes ages long to proc, I'd go with Memento of Angerboda, because if any of your party/raid members die, it procs
    takes ages long to proc

to proc

the trinket dont have a proc...

@lobocito - A quick bit of info: trinkets (and all items with procs) are ranked directly from simulations on Ask Mr. Robot. They take into account stat interactions, etc. However, remember that the default stat weights (and thus default trinket sims) are just one way to play. It's best to run a custom gearing strategy to get the best recommendations.

When you run a gearing strategy on our simulator (aka stat weights), we simulate every single item with a proc. Then we bundle that information with the stat weights and use the simulation data to rank trinkets. If you run a custom gearing strat, I'd be curious to see how the trinkets change for you. If you play with it, I'd love to hear back from you on how it's ranking trinkets for your character.
    @scarfdeath - thanks for sending me your info in a PM. Here is some data: your custom stat weights (for single target to start): http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simula...6039e628d29d40

Click the green 'save and use' button on that report and you can then use it on the gear pages. It includes all of the special proc data for YOUR character already

With that report, 860 unstable arcano crystal and the 880 Bloodthirsty Instinct are just the tiniest bit better than your 865 mana crysal + socket. Within the margin of error of a sim, so basically, a side grade. I think that socket is making it gain just enough to stand up to those other trinkets.

How to run a gearing strat on AMR:
    1. Go her: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/run
    2. Load your character
    3. Change the 'sim type' on the right from 'single run' to 'gearing strategy'
    4. In the options that show up, set the min and max iLevel to +/- 5 of your current gear (or whatever else you want)
    5. Click simulate

How to compare items on AMR
    2 minute video shows you how to do it in 60 seconds. Yes, a 2 minute video to show 60 seconds, I know, lol.

Hit me up with questions!
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Quote Originally Posted by scarfdeath View Post
    takes ages long to proc

to proc

the trinket dont have a proc...
    Shit, my bad, thought about the one from Arcway :s

Quote Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post
    @lobocito - A quick bit of info: trinkets (and all items with procs) are ranked directly from simulations on Ask Mr. Robot. They take into account stat interactions, etc. However, remember that the default stat weights (and thus default trinket sims) are just one way to play. It's best to run a custom gearing strategy to get the best recommendations.

When you run a gearing strategy on our simulator (aka stat weights), we simulate every single item with a proc. Then we bundle that information with the stat weights and use the simulation data to rank trinkets. If you run a custom gearing strat, I'd be curious to see how the trinkets change for you. If you play with it, I'd love to hear back from you on how it's ranking trinkets for your character.
    @scarfdeath - thanks for sending me your info in a PM. Here is some data: your custom stat weights (for single target to start): http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simula...6039e628d29d40

Click the green 'save and use' button on that report and you can then use it on the gear pages. It includes all of the special proc data for YOUR character already

With that report, 860 unstable arcano crystal and the 880 Bloodthirsty Instinct are just the tiniest bit better than your 865 mana crysal + socket. Within the margin of error of a sim, so basically, a side grade. I think that socket is making it gain just enough to stand up to those other trinkets.

How to run a gearing strat on AMR:
    1. Go her: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/run
    2. Load your character
    3. Change the 'sim type' on the right from 'single run' to 'gearing strategy'
    4. In the options that show up, set the min and max iLevel to +/- 5 of your current gear (or whatever else you want)
    5. Click simulate

How to compare items on AMR
    2 minute video shows you how to do it in 60 seconds. Yes, a 2 minute video to show 60 seconds, I know, lol.

Hit me up with questions!
    Thanks alot for the help.

interesting that for me mastery is valued nearly the same as agility.

really powerful stat to stack.