Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy How the internet is turning us all into 'mean girls'

Leading up to the election, there was widespread lament over the impact of online echo chambers. The premise of the echo chamber is that instead of participating in varied public conversations with diverse voices, we get our information from a self-selected social network: people who think like us, act like us and reaffirm our existing world views.
    Us vs. them

But when our online social circles are no longer representative of the variety of people we interact with offline in our daily lives, we start retreating into a new kind of tribalism. We see the world as "us" versus "them."

Without realizing it, we've all become "mean girls," excluding those who don't fit in with the online communities we design for ourselves, one click at a time. Sure, at first we humoured them — those outliers who posted polarizing political views on our timelines for everyone else to see. But then we slowly started minimizing their presence in our online social circles, unfollowing, and then unfriending, often without explanation.

The binary nature of our digital platforms only emphasizes the us-versus-them dichotomy. We are given only two options: friend or unfriend? There are no shades of grey, and there is no room for conversation — let alone compromise. They belong, or they do not. They are part of the tribe, or they are an outsider.

And just as connecting with friends releases happy hormones in our brains, so too does the act of separating ourselves. In his book I'm Right and You're an Idiot, James Hoggan writes, "Resentment is like a drug. It feels good to go home and say: "Those jerks! Those liberals. Those conservatives… I'm right, they're wrong."

In and of themselves, tribes aren't inherently bad. We all long to be part of something bigger than ourselves, and tribes fulfil that need. But where we get into trouble is when we introduce borders, which separate my land from your land, and by extension, my tribe from your tribe. When borders are violated, we fight. This, in broad strokes is the root of all war.
    Online borders

The hope with the internet was that we would do away with borders. Marshall McLuhan called this vision of the new world the "global village," based on the idea that the instantaneous spread of information would unite us. That was what the internet originally promised, and that's what we love about it. But it hasn't entirely turned out that way; we still have our tribes, we still have our borders.

It is at these borders that the ugliness of contemporary tribalism comes to light: someone with an opposing view lashes out on your Facebook feed, or a troll monopolizes a Twitter hashtag, and it's obvious that their comments aren't meant to engage, but rather to enrage. These are the war zones, the hotspots of digital dialogue. Or, to put it into mean-girl-terms, the cafeteria where milk gets poured on your head.

Out in the open, these border zones highlight conflict and catch our attention, but they're not where progress is made. Progress is made when tribes can meet on neutral ground. And so, it's worth reminding ourselves, as we retreat from the toxic front lines into the comfort of our like-minded tribes, that online is not our only option. Logging off and getting coffee together might just be the closest thing we have to a social media Switzerland.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/new-tribalism-1.3948289

So true. The us vs them mentality is very troubling.

The author is certainly correct that we need to log off more often and get coffee together.

Deleted
    I've always been mean, but now I'm a girl?

I better stay away from Tennisace then, he's a creep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post

It's in quotation marks son. Surely you know what that means.

10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR but I just came here to say that "Mean Girls" is an awesome movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's in quotation marks son. Surely you know what that means.
    Stop hitting on me, you pervert.

You're literally raping me.

It's simpler than a huge forum post. In the world there are two types of people; thinkers and feelers. And neither side can stand the other.

Some of us aren't girls.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to be a bad boy, not a mean girl.

You can't label me. What you gonna do?

Tennis should remember this when he shitposts and slags off on overweight people.

Did you just assume my gender?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Tennisace posts just as much as you, so Tennisace must be just as much of a girl as you.

kissssss
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Stop hitting on me, you pervert.

You're literally raping me.
    Keep it civil please.

Some of us online aren't girls. Though some of us online pretend to be

I feel like the internet has done far more to turn people into quivering moist pussies who are too afraid to confront people IRL than "mean girls".

Personally, I don't give a flying fuck if you're my friend on facebook or not. That's not what makes someone my friend. Someone only becomes my friend if I actually spend time with them. Probably 75% or more of my "facebook friends" could remove me and I honestly would not give a flaming bag of shit. And TBQH, the only reason I'm ever aware that anyone has removed me from facebook is because my wife tells me.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-01-24 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll gladly be a "mean girl" if that means you end up permanently banned, Tennistroll.

/looks down

Nope, I don't have a vagina.

I've always been a mean girl.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Some of us aren't girls.
    Annnnd you missed the point entirely

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Tennis should remember this when he shitposts and slags off on overweight people.
    Slagging off. Ha!
    Well intentioned criticism should be welcomed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I call dibs Rachel McAdams, she's totally the spirit guide to my inner mean girl.