Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

Trump's immigration ban denied

"The federal court for the Eastern District of New York has issued an emergency stay halting President Trump's executive order banning immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S, The Verge reported Saturday night.

The court ruled on a habeas corpus petition filed by the ACLU on behalf of two Iraqi men who were detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday after Trump's ban.

Since then both men, Hameed Khalid Darweesh and Sameer Abdulkhaleq Alshaw, have reportedly been granted entry to the U.S.

Dale Ho, director of the ACLU's Voting Rights Project, tweeted:

'We won' ; 'Stay is national'

Trump's order handed down Friday bars Syrian refugees indefinitely and halts the resettlement of all refugees for four months for the administration to review the vetting process.

Admission will resume only after vetting has been deemed "adequate" by the secretary of State, the secretary of Homeland Security and Director of National Intelligence.

The order also denies entry for 90 days for individuals from seven predominantly Muslims countries: Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Libya and Yemen."

Source: The Hill

I fully expect Donald Trump to go on Twitter to talk about the judge by Monday.

Oh this should be a great popcorn thread
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Oh this should be a great popcorn thread
    Sharing is caring. *passes popcorn*

Didn't take long for Trump to start conflicting with other branches of the U.S. govt. What a 4 years this will be .
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Good, good, first victory over Trump.

States Rights, amirite?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I'm glad the judges worked quicker than expected to get those guys help.

Also, what do you mean by monday? I'm positive he'll be ranting all night on his toliet hiding from his handlers. This blithering moron has no decency or self control.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well at least Trump can say he tried after one of them goes Jihadi.

From what I could tell, it only applies to people with green cards and valid visas that were already travelling, not on the broader issue of everyone from those countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Right way and wrong way to do things. Your boy trump did it the wrong way.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    These people will still find a way to blame Trump for that.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

a shining light of hope in this dark hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about those people who have already been declined entrance due to Trump's order? Will they be compensated somehow, or will the decision on not letting them in be overturned?

This is some crazy system, in which the president can sign whatever he/she wants and the order is going to be effective until someone halts it...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.

The jihad is from Trump and his idiot minions upon the country and rest of the world.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin

Which is funny, because the terrorists who have hit the US haven't been from any of the countries Trump banned.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's a pretty limited stay:

"Saturday night, a federal judge granted an emergency stay for people who have already arrived in the United States and those who are in transit, and who hold valid visas, ruling they can legally enter the country."

So it only helps those who are already here or in transit - who also have a valid visa. So it's a relatively small number, since anyone who isn't already here or in transit is not helped by this.

It always feels a bit strange when a judge that no one has heard of overrules a Presidential order, but that's our check and balance system. I have a feeling this one is far from over though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Which is funny, because the terrorists who have hit the US haven't been from any of the countries Trump banned.
    Trump knows how to appeal to racists. Ban people from those countries they don't like, so long as he doesn't have financial interests there of course!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Well it's a pretty limited stay:

"Saturday night, a federal judge granted an emergency stay for people who have already arrived in the United States and those who are in transit, and who hold valid visas, ruling they can legally enter the country."

So it only helps those who are already here or in transit - who also have a valid visa. So it's a relatively small number, since anyone who isn't already here or in transit is not helped by this.

It always feels a bit strange when a judge that no one has heard of overrules a Presidential order, but that's our check and balance system. I have a feeling this one is far from over though.
    There is nothing strange about it. Judges exist specifically for this reason. Dictators don't get their way through executive orders.

I'm all for letting anyone and everyone into the country.

Let what happens happens. IDGAF anymore. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Some evil part of me wants the next Jihadi attack to be committed by a US-born person with US citizenship only. Watching Trump try to ban Americans from entering America would be glorious!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.