Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    5.5/10 is an arbitrary example number for something that won't stand the test of time as an acclaimed work of art, not even as "cult following". Like not long ago someone sold a banana nailed to a wall as art - and someone bought it as art! But what is "the real score" of that? Certainly not high. Compare that to Mona Lisa for example.
    The point I'm making is, there IS NO "REAL" SCORE at all, and to pretend there is means there's some misconception somewhere (or a load of naivete).

As for the rest... yeah, financial decisions rule one particular kind of "success", that's for sure. Sublime masterpieces aren't going to lead to much if they don't also generate revenue. A big problem in science-fiction especially, since it's often quite expensive to make those visions come to life; whereas some random novel about a Bohemian living in an attic in Paris could probably be made for $10,000 >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    So far it seems to do well, 70+ million in 2 weekends. Can someone from Western Europe say if it will still be in the top theaters for 3rd and 4th week? Or it's being replaced by something else?
    We only have 3 licensed IMAX theaters in Denmark as far as I'm aware, and Dune is being replaced by the new James Bond movie starting Thursday this week.

At least this seemed to be the case last I checked. I think it'll only have run in IMAX theaters for about 2 weeks here before being the replaced.

It's possible they'll extend the lease though. Every showing has been completely packed with sold out theaters.

As for regular theaters, I've no idea how long they plan on showing Dune.

- - - Updated - - -

So I watched the Dune movie again today with coworkers this time. I still think it's a great movie by all accounts, but I do fear that it won't stand the test of time without part 2. Practically all of Dune part 1 is one giant setup for an absolutely action packed part 2 and thus part one can come off as somewhat of a slow burn for the first half of the movie as it has little actual action.
    Last edited by Unlimited Power; 2021-09-27 at 05:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

As a non-book reader, that was an enjoyable movie imo. My two colleagues I went with were a bit disappointed, but I'd say that's more the trailer's fault here. That's a good movie on its own, but difficult to enjoy when the trailer compacts all action sequences into a very tense 3 minutes video that make you feel you'll watch something that it's not.

I felt like the lore was very correctly explained. I didn't know much about Dune, but the politics, Arrakis' atmosphere, its inhabitants, and the overall universe was quite well introduced. The only parts that kinda lost me were the visions, but I guess it's part of the experience.

Of course, the fact it's only Part 1 plays a role there. This is the introduction movie, so for sure it will spend time explaining everything to not rush things, and the action will very likely be in the second opus.
    The few action sequences are honestly greatly paced, the visuals are astonishing, and they're very well emphasized by the soundtrack.

Overall the cinematography was great. Expected with Villeneuve+Zimmer. Each sequence has its own soul, and that's not negligible when the area 99% of scenes appear on is a giant sand planet.

I only have a small gripe with the actors. Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson are mostly one-dimensional and don't convey lots of emotions in their acting - I cannot say whether it's the actors or the source material / their characters which pushes that feeling. Jason Momoa was okay, and I enjoyed Timothée Chalamet even though I felt his performance could have been pushed further a bit (but we'll see in Part II).

5+ Year Old Account
    Dune (10/10) seen it twice, awesome movie, just wish they had touched on the butlerian jihad, mentats etc. n why mankind is the way it is, why paul just says he feels a holy war is coming, like audience are given not enough meat, I know this is introducing that world, but still...

God, that introduction to the sardaukar, the rows upon rows, the chanting, the sardaukar commander speaking is the most bad ass sounding speech since that engineer in deleted scenes of prometheus. Is that chant in the sound track? I must have missed it..

I'm going to see the movie more times, but unfortunately that stupid Bond movie is coming so goodbye my biggest screen.. imma gonna pre-order the blu ray, and if part 2 movie doesn't get the green light, i'm gonna blow a fuse!!
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-09-28 at 08:39 PM.

Said chant is not in the soundtrack. As for mentats (I really do not think this needs a spoiler), yeah, of all the things the human computers should have had a bit more presence in the first movie, to establish just how important they are. As for that other thing, well, will see regarding the second movie. The topic raised, uhhh, discussions when the movie was announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Absolutely loved the movie. Beautiful pictures, beautiful music that enhances the cinematography and the mood, especially the foreboding upon arrival on Arrakis. Wasn't sold on the actors upon seeing the trailer, but they convinced me completely. Paul Atreides is especially remarkable, from a conflicted and sometimes a bit bored teenager to a complete person taking responsibility for himself and his world. A "chosen" with still a lot to learn. Really brought to life by the actor. And I had not imagined Oscar Isaac making such a perfect Leto.

Some stretches of the movie seem dream-like and jump around from one thing to another, but to me at least that seemed to make total sense, and I'm curious to see if that changes in the second part, because Paul has now 'awakened'.
    Absolutely epic to me.
    Had two kids in the cinema though that didn't seem to like it, talked a lot and left at about two thirds of the movie and I can see how you'd be not so much into it, if you maybe expected an action filled sci-fi movie. It's not that, though it does have battle-scenes and fights too, but very spread out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went to see it in iMax 4K with the Dolby sound thing in our local theatre (Belgium) and we were blown away. We can't imagine ourselves to watch it on a small screen since it doesn't do the movie justice.
    Neither my SO or me had read the books and we knew nothing in advance about the story. We got sucked into unexpected events and twists everytime we got comfortable with a character or an event.
    As others have stated Part 1 is just a massive build-up for Part 2, but it's well worth and if it can keep up the cinematographic quality of Part 1, this might become a contender for the Star Wars universe. (After reading up on the history of SW, it's clear where George Lucas got his inspiration from)
    For those who want a movie where by the end everything has been explained and every motive is clear, this movie isn't for you. We still have a lot of questions but it keeps us thinking and theorizing.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    Went to see it in iMax 4K with the Dolby sound thing in our local theatre (Belgium) and we were blown away. We can't imagine ourselves to watch it on a small screen since it doesn't do the movie justice.
    Neither my SO or me had read the books and we knew nothing in advance about the story. We got sucked into unexpected events and twists everytime we got comfortable with a character or an event.
    As others have stated Part 1 is just a massive build-up for Part 2, but it's well worth and if it can keep up the cinematographic quality of Part 1, this might become a contender for the Star Wars universe. (After reading up on the history of SW, it's clear where George Lucas got his inspiration from)
    For those who want a movie where by the end everything has been explained and every motive is clear, this movie isn't for you. We still have a lot of questions but it keeps us thinking and theorizing.
    Awesome - love seeing new fans being brought to this awesome masterpiece of a story/world.

Only thing I wanted to add is - in case the 2nd movie isn't greenlit - to encourage you and the SO to delve deeper into this mythos and get those questions and theories addressed!

Whether that's watching the other movie/mini-series one day: The Lynch movie is...different...but many fans still love it in all its weirdness and its the complete "first book" story in one movie that this one is doing with two movies. The (SciFi Channel? can't remember now) miniseries is - complete in its storytelling; but, for whatever reason I cant pinpoint, myself and many fans find it also manages to make it boring) but at least you'd get the rest of the story.

Or even bestest option - go read the books!

But I will say the "by the end everything has been explained and every motive is clear, this movie isn't for you" comment also works for the book series. If you read through the original Frank Herbert Series - MOST things get explained XD but you'll still have questions - esp. about those motives =D. But it is worth the investment. Herbert's universe is epic and awesome - inspired MUCH of the genre in general - and is one of those timeless classic 'standards' that any fan of the genre should experience. But because its not 'simple and boiled down' standard fare for the masses - its never been given its due credit the way "Star Wars" has, even though its just as "good" and epic as Star Wars. Its certainly more complex and political in its storytelling - and that doesnt' always translate well to the populace. Hence why its still a struggle for this series to 'hit the mainstream.'

As a lifelong fan - just happy to see new fans being brought to this amazing universe. Just don't stop the interest if WB doesn't make the 2nd movie! =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    I complained, before even seeing the movie, why the deserts don't look kewl like wadi rum n it turns out it was there they were shooting...lol..

one week left for new premieres, don't fail us now usa, uk, china etc. !!

Watch it tonight its a 9/10 for me, if part 2 carries on and is as accomplished I could see it bumped to 10/10. It looked stunning and did a far better job of telling the story than the Lynch version did, the 2 1/2 hours just flew by! I can see this going into my movies I regularly rewatch rotation.

Denis Villeneuve is definitely turning into one of my favourite current directors, I have really liked all his movies since Sicario, I need to hunt out his earlier stuff that I haven't seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Watch it tonight its a 9/10 for me, if part 2 carries on and is as accomplished I could see it bumped to 10/10. It looked stunning and did a far better job of telling the story than the Lynch version did, the 2 1/2 hours just flew by! I can see this going into my movies I regularly rewatch rotation.

Denis Villeneuve is definitely turning into one of my favorite current directors, I have really liked all his movies since Sicario, I need to hunt out his earlier stuff that I haven't seen.
    well, i missed lots of explanation like the text in star wars opening, or princess irulan in lynch's dune..there's not mention of butlerian jihad impact on human psyche, culture n society..don't explain mentats, law against advanced computers, ai etc. hopefully part 2 or an extended version of the 1st movie does that

Been counting down the days, have my tickets for an IMAX showing on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    well, i missed lots of explanation like the text in star wars opening, or princess irulan in lynch's dune..there's not mention of butlerian jihad impact on human psyche, culture n society..don't explain mentats, law against advanced computers, ai etc. hopefully part 2 or an extended version of the 1st movie does that
    I can't argue with those points, hopefully they will be covered when we get to see the emperor and spacing guild in part 2, I guess because I'm quite familiar with the story I didn't need them, but now you point it out I agree even a few words of dialog would have helped, especially with the mentat's. but we have to face it would probably be 10+ hours run time to get everything in

I would have quite happily watched another hour tbh so roll on the extended cut!
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I can't argue with those points, hopefully they will be covered when we get to see the emperor and spacing guild in part 2, I guess because I'm quite familiar with the story I didn't need them, but now you point it out I agree even a few words of dialog would have helped, especially with the mentat's. but we have to face it would probably be 10+ hours run time to get everything in

I would have quite happily watched another hour tbh so roll on the extended cut!
    yes surprisingly although it wasn't a short movie, 2h 35m, it felt short kind of, everyone wanted to see more when it ended, it just cut off like it was a tv show where you have to wait for next week's episode except we'll prob won't see it until 2023 or something..

While some here wanted this to instead be a tv show, I can see your point but once you see the movie, the amount of quality we wouldn't get for tv that have so much lower budgets...this franchise deserved everything denis could summon..which could only happen in a movie
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-17 at 11:11 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    "orgasmic audio-visual odyssey of galactic proportions" -Jeremy Jahns

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-19 at 04:29 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Gonna be seeing this soon enough. Then I get the added benefit of it being on HBO Max for reference for a month. I kinda hope WB does a modified version of this where it gets a month on HBO Max after an exclusively in theaters period. Maybe put it on there for 30 days 6 weeks after its initial release.
    It is not an exclusive - and that's why some of us are concerned we won't ever get the 2nd movie.

Because they are releasing it on HBO ON THE SAME DAY As the US movie release. There is no exclusive-in-theater period first. Because that's what HBO already promised and has already announced.

So even though the 2nd movie being green-lit depends on the box office profits, in the US anyway, there is no theater exclusivity. :/
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Watching a bunch of reviews, this one is spoilery, he also calls it orgasmic, 2nd time i heard that today, people should see this just for the experience

5+ Year Old Account
    Does it come to streaming in china?

5+ Year Old Account
    Does China have HBO Max?
    Never read streaming services n china in the same sentence, so no idea..

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know it’s not an exclusive. That’s why I said modified. I want movies to start exclusive and then come to streaming quickly.
    Screw that, fuck theaters. Old practice that needs to die in a fire.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.