Page 1 of 43
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

[Movie] MCU: The Fantastic Four

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10676052/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Jon Watts Exits as Director of Marvel Studios’ ‘Fantastic Four’

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/f...235254860/amp/
    By Adam B. Vary - April 29, 2022 2:14pm PT

Marvel Studios will need to find another Mr. Fantastic (filmmaker).

Director Jon Watts has left the company’s reboot of “Fantastic Four.” Watts directed all three of Marvel Studios’ “Spider-Man” movies with Tom Holland and Zendaya, including the $1.9 billion dollar–grossing “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” and he wanted to step away from superhero filmmaking.

“Making three ‘Spider-Man’ films was an incredible and life changing experience for me,” Watts said in a statement. “I’m eternally grateful to have been a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for seven years. I’m hopeful we’ll work together again and I can’t wait to see the amazing vision for Fantastic Four brought to life.”

In a separate statement, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige said collaborating with Watts on the “Spider-Man” movies “has been a true pleasure.”

“We were looking forward to continuing our work with him to bring the Fantastic Four into the MCU but understand and are supportive of his reasons for stepping away,” Feige continued. “We are optimistic that we will have the opportunity to work together again at some point down the road.”

Feige first announced that Watts would direct a “Fantastic Four” reboot for Marvel Studios in December 2020 during the Disney Investor Day presentation. But the studio has yet to announce any release date information about the film, let alone who is writing it.

Watts’ plate certainly isn’t empty. He’s set to write and direct a film reuniting George Clooney and Brad Pitt as rival fixers that Apple Studios won in a high stakes auction last fall. And he’s producing a new film in the “Final Destination” horror franchise for New Line Cinema and HBO Max.

Known as the original Marvel comics superheroes created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, the Fantastic Four were part of 20th Century Fox’s stable of Marvel superheroes prior to Disney’s acquisition of the studio in 2019. Director Tim Story made two movies about the superhero team for Fox, 2005’s “Fantastic Four” and 2007’s “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” starring Ioan Gurffudd as the super-stretching Reed Richards (aka Mr. Fantastic), Jessica Alba as his wife Sue Storm (aka the Invisible Woman), Chris Evans as Sue’s hot-headed brother Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch), Michael Chiklis as the giant stone lunkhead Ben Grimm (aka the Thing), and Julian McMahon as the villainous Victor Von Doom.

In 2015, Fox mounted an ill-fated reboot with director Josh Trank, starring Miles Teller as Reed, Kate Mara as Sue, Michael B. Jordan as Johnny, Jamie Bell as Ben, and Toby Kebbell as Victor.

Deadline first reported the news of Watts’ exit.

This is... what? The fourth or fifth reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    3rd. Still less than Batman.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    4th attempt I think...

You had the 90's non released FF
    You had the 2000's FF
    You had Fan4stic.

So yea this is the 4th time.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-04-30 at 10:41 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    4th I think... You had the 90's non released FF, you had the 2000's FF, and Fan4stic. so yea this is the 4th time
    Unreleased doesn't count. So its the third.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s the third reboot, but it’s the forth time Hollywood has made a FF film. Sure, the first was just to keep the rights and went unreleased. That doesn’t mean it ceases to exist.

It doesn't exist in terms of counting it towards a "reboot" counter. There's nothing to reboot in an unreleased movie.

Also, if we're counting the 90's unreleased movie... it would be the fifth time Hollywood has made an FF movie... the 2000's series got two.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-04-30 at 10:54 PM.

The question was about Hollywood rebooting F4. They tried and failed so hard the first time they never released it. They then rebooted it for 2 films in the 2000s. They rebooted a second time with an even worse attempt. This is Hollywood’s fourth attempt to make a successful F4 film franchise. Third reboot.
    Like you said, they never released it. So the 2005 movie isn't a reboot. You can't reboot a franchise that never was.

Bleh.

Hopefully this one realizes the movie will ever be as strong as their Dr. Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Bleh.

Hopefully this one realizes the movie will ever be as strong as their Dr. Doom.
    That’s all I want from this: a good Dr. Doom. We see how much a good Loki has carried water for Thor, here’s hoping they get this right.

Honestly I like the first two movie’s cast. Obviously we’re not getting and evans human torch, but I certainly didn’t hate the first two.

It was a reboot though. I’ve watched the first and everything. The shit exists. They cast real actors. Used real film. Real makeup. Real effects. It was real bad. Then they rebooted and released an actual film that was… meh? They then rebooted again and released an absolute mess. Now they’re rebooting and releasing what will be passable at the very least.
    I never said it didn't exist. I said it doesn't count because it was never officially released. Bootlegs don't count.

It counts. Hollywood made it, they just didn’t release it. Fuck, they used existing talent to do so. They then started again(reboot) with the 2000s films.
    "Using existing talent" doesn't matter. The film was never released. You can't reboot something that was never released.

Obviously, we aren't going to agree here...so let's just stop. No sense yelling the same things back and forth at each other for pages.

How many pages can a discussion of what qualifies take?

Anyway, I've never been a huge F4 fan, and it's a long way off, but it is amusing that he stepped away from superhero movies to make a Final Destination movie.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    That’s all I want from this: a good Dr. Doom. We see how much a good Loki has carried water for Thor, here’s hoping they get this right.

Honestly I like the first two movie’s cast. Obviously we’re not getting and evans human torch, but I certainly didn’t hate the first two.
    if there's one thing Marvel do well it's casting. I have high hopes for this movie, especially after the failure of the last one.

Julian McMahon did "okay" as Doctor Doom. I'm not just saying that because he is a fellow Aussie. He's doing well in FBI Most Wanted at least (if it's still running?).

Moving on, I too would like this to be not necessarily mind-blowing, but at least good and watchable. Doctor Doom, Nova, Super Skrull, and especially GALACTUS, and of course the four themselves - all must be done right this time around. The room for error this time is so narrow that even DC's Plastic Man couldn't fit through it!

You most assuredly can. Just by starting, without the finish(release) is all that’s needed to start again. See the definition of reboot again.

There's no point in us repeating the same arguments back and forth. Let's try to be grown-ups here.

Sure, we can move on from you not understanding the definition of reboot.
    Or we can move on from your misunderstanding of what the term means regarding film.

Regardless, we're not going to agree.

Roflmao. Yeah, some people refuse to admit things happened and words have meaning. Good luck with that. I hear Trump will be Pres any day now.

WTF are you talking about Trump for?

Anyway. You're right. Words have meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot...n%20a%20series.
    A reboot discards continuity to re-create its characters, plotlines and backstory from the beginning. It has been described as a way to "rebrand" or "restart an entertainment universe that has already been established".
    It was never established...because it was never released. There is no continuity to discard.

But we're back to arguing the same points back and forth...which gets us nowhere. If you have another argument to introduce...feel free. Otherwise, thre's no further need to reply.

I'm skeptical that they'll get it right. The individual characterization, from Reed's genius, Ben's temper rooted in his frustration over his monstrous appearance, which tends to strike sparks with Johnny's bombastic impulsive personality, (I think Chris Evans came close), and Sue is probably the easiest. Writers can't seem to get the chemistry right to make them into a family.
    Of course the biggest problem is writing Doom. His character needs to match that group dynamic through the sheer magnetism, backstory, and the powerful genius he is...stealing the show. That's something that's never been done in any of the mcu movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Disney: That's a very white bread team you have there...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance