Vengeance - Capitalizing Fiery Brand/Demise healing

Does anyone save Fire spells (ImoAura, Sigil, Soulcarver) for after Fiery Brand ?

Since Fiery Demise increases fire dmg to target which converts to healing via Charred Warblades ?

Do we even receive healing from it? Is it a decent amount or totally negligible ?

I don't specifically save them in the sense that I won't use them if I need them otherwise, but I do try to line them up whenever possible. I generally drop a Flame Sigil on the ground, THEN pop Fiery Brand, then use one Infernal Leap, Immolation Aura, Felblade any time its available, etc. I will Soul Carver if I desperately want the extra damage and am SURE I won't need it within the next 30 seconds or so and that the Soul Fragments wont go to waste. Right before it's about to expire, I'll use that last Infernal Leap charge and anything else that has come back up. The reason I only use one Lep and save the other for last is so I'm never stuck without it if something happens and I need to move quickly. Our mobility is one of (if not the) main things that sets us apart from other tanks, you don't want to be without it in a "GTFO" moment.

It does increase healing because we're doing more fire damage, sure. This is random, unrelated math just for the sake of example, but if you were going to hit for 100 fire damage which would heal for 15 (15%) and the buff instead caused you to do 200 fire damage, you would heal for 30 instead. It works the same way here; more fire damage done, more healing.

It's not really enough healing to rely on in any regard, but it doesn't hurt. You're going to be using it more for the DPS than the heals, though. If you desperately need healing THAT bad, there are many much more valuable things you can do with those GCDs, especially considering the pretty high number of abilities we're talking about using to get the extra DPS/heals during the fire damage buff. Especially now that most are running Fracture, you can get on-demand healing within two GCDs pretty much any time, and a lot more of it.

Edit: I will say that in a huge AOE situation, the healing can be pretty good. A portion of all fire damage done being converted to healing can be substantial when your Sigil of Flame and Immo Aura are hitting like 12 targets. On top of that, if you run the talent "Burning Alive" so that your Fiery Brand spreads to nearby targets, I believe the "increased fire damage taken" spreads along with the debuff to each target. The talent also causes Fiery Brand to apply a fire DoT itself... so if you consider mass AoE with Sigil of Flame and Immolation Aura hitting everything, plus your Fiery Brand has applied a DoT to the target and is spreading to a new target every 2 seconds (which also spreads the DoT and causes the new target to also take 10% more fire damage), then I guess you could get some pretty good healing out of the fire dmg->heals component. You've just got to consider that you're tanking 12 mobs, so the increased healing is going to be relative to the increased damage you're taking and probably still even out to be somewhat negligible. In the end, I don't think the healing from fire damage done is going to ever be much more than small heals that, over the course of the fight, might add up to an acceptable amount. [end edit]

I hate to be "that guy", but I was running Fracture in beta and since launch. It's always been great. I did swap for better Demon Spikes uptime if there was a boss with HEEEAAAVY damage, but otherwise I was *always* on Fracture. Now that the cost has been reduced and four piece makes Feed the Demon effectively worthless? It's a godsend.

It's just too bad Fracture isn't fire damage. That would be incredibly -- and to be honest, we pretty desperately need the ST damage boost. I don't know why they don't make it fire. It's not like it would even be a huge DPS increase to have it hit harder for a little bit after each brand.
    Last edited by Extremity; 2017-02-13 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks for your detailed response
    Hmm I haven't tried Fracture at all. Feed the demon all the way.. but i only started tanking seriously lately in M+.

Not sure what would benefit me more, on demand heal or more uptime on Demon Spikes. i usualy pull 2 groups simultaneously on low (7~9) M+ (also for necrotic reasons)

Same with Burning Alive, I've been using Feast of Souls mainly. maybe Burning Alive could be better for big AoE pulls

Fiery brand doesnt spread the increased fire dmg taken thing with a talent, it spreads only the reduced damage to you part. If you are using spirit bomb then fallout would be better, FoS talent is pretty useless once you get certain ilvl's since its mostly overhealing by then.

Tho, it depends on the boss/trash. If I save FB for the defensive then I wont bother with the fire spells saving/using but when I use it for DPS gains then I pump as much fire into it as I can. I personally like going: Sigil of Flame->FB->Immo->Spirit bomb(if frag proc'd)->Soul carver->Spirit bomb spam. Then continue with normal rota.
    Last edited by Tinary; 2017-02-13 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreneo View Post
    Does anyone save Fire spells (ImoAura, Sigil, Soulcarver) for after Fiery Brand ?

Since Fiery Demise increases fire dmg to target which converts to healing via Charred Warblades ?

Do we even receive healing from it? Is it a decent amount or totally negligible ?

I have only saved any of these if they are partially, or near cooldown. I have found that past a certain point it is better to just blow through what's up at max pain.

*EDIT* Typo
    Revelation 21:6 - I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    Fiery brand doesnt spread the increased fire dmg taken thing with a talent, it spreads only the reduced damage to you part. If you are using spirit bomb then fallout would be better, FoS talent is pretty useless once you get certain ilvl's since its mostly overhealing by then.

Tho, it depends on the boss/trash. If I save FB for the defensive then I wont bother with the fire spells saving/using but when I use it for DPS gains then I pump as much fire into it as I can. I personally like going: Sigil of Flame->FB->Immo->Spirit bomb(if frag proc'd)->Soul carver->Spirit bomb spam. Then continue with normal rota.
    That sucks about not spreading the damage part. I've literally never taken that talent once so I wasn't sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oreneo View Post
    Thanks for your detailed response
    Hmm I haven't tried Fracture at all. Feed the demon all the way.. but i only started tanking seriously lately in M+.

Not sure what would benefit me more, on demand heal or more uptime on Demon Spikes. i usualy pull 2 groups simultaneously on low (7~9) M+ (also for necrotic reasons)

Same with Burning Alive, I've been using Feast of Souls mainly. maybe Burning Alive could be better for big AoE pulls
    Once you get 4-piece you wont need to worry about Feed the Demon; aim for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    Once you get 4-piece you wont need to worry about Feed the Demon; aim for that.
    Depends on the level of content you. It helps with consistency if you're doing low-damage content (most heroics and early mythic, and anything below ~m+10)

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Depends on the level of content you. It helps with consistency if you're doing low-damage content (most heroics and early mythic, and anything below ~m+10)
    What do you mean? The talent helps WITH the four piece, or you mean before you get it? If before you get it, sure. If you mean alongside, I kinda disagree - with just the 4p bonus I have incredibly uptime with Demon Spikes. If I really pushed for it, I could probably hit 100%.

And don't forget our final talent row also has a "demon spikes uptime" related talent. While the alternatives are better, depending on what you're running it might be better to sacrifice Barrier rather than sacrificing Fracture if you a) need 100% uptime and can't hit it without a talent, and b) are taking less frequent, larger attacks rather than many smaller attacks (where Barrier would be quite strong).