The game at night and the current power of the lighting engine.

So here is some footage I took during the Hunter class mount quest.

https://gfycat.com/HoarseSandyFlamingo - Lighting effects in the dark.

https://gfycat.com/VengefulGlisteningGermanspitz - The game at night, for reference, the zone is The Fields of the Eternal Hunt in the Halls of Valor.

I really wish night time in the game looked like this all the time.
    Last edited by willtron; 2017-02-17 at 10:49 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    I just did that quest earlier today. It's really cool. However, I wouldn't want to play like that normally. It's just too dark to be enjoyable, at least without any personal light sources (lanterns/torches/etc.). More special dark areas like that would be neat though.

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks so cool. I can't understand why they wouldn't introduce this into the game with the option to turn it off in the settings. Then again I'm thinking logically which Blizzard very often doesn't.

I don't disagree, but tbh "dark" in the game now is tons and tons better than it was a couple of expansions ago anyway, then you barely could see a difference between the middle of the day, now at least you get the sense that it actually is night. I'm fine if they take babysteps forward in making night even darker.

I miss the night..

It's frankly a shame, seeing the quality of the current lighting system and how it's utterly wasted in perpetual daylight.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wish they would make the night/day cycles shorter and alternate east and west of each continent.

shorter cycles means there is likely to be one of each during your play period.

alternating east and west sides means while its night time in the zones on the west coast of a continent, it could be day time in the zones on the east side.

these changes would give chance to experience both cycles while not making players feel like they are trapped perpetually in one cycle over the other. it also would mean they wouldnt have to make the night times feel more like day times.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2017-02-18 at 07:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

This game is getting less and less about immersion and stuff like night or weather are part of that too. Blizzard keeps deciding that convenience beats fantasy and gradually moves from cool but inconvenient stuff.

Dark nights look great but most people would get tired of that quickly and given the option would just turn it off. In Blizzard's eyes that probably means waste of resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want night everywhere to look like that, thats fucking awesome

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perryn View Post
    I don't disagree, but tbh "dark" in the game now is tons and tons better than it was a couple of expansions ago anyway, then you barely could see a difference between the middle of the day, now at least you get the sense that it actually is night. I'm fine if they take babysteps forward in making night even darker.
    I'm sorry, did you see the Dark back In Vanilla and the weather effects we had?

-that- was tons and tons better, go look It up they simply removed those very dark nights and weather effects due to performence problems, and somehow haven't fixed said performance In 12 years. Well i think It's about damn time. The Dark Is always an amazing thing to have, and we already have Lanterns and scources of light, even some of our weapons glow.

It's not unreal to make quests based around that as well to some degree.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Deleted
    Dunno - as OP mentions all graphical things have their campaign.

And I only realize things when they do these very rare campaigns.

No money to be made here. It's a waste of time!

I don't know.

If I think back to Skrim with darker nights mods I have mixed feelings about this.
    I liked it for the first two nights, after that it became annoying and I started to simply wait for daylight.

Since I am not going to play other classes like... ever, to the point where I finish their campaigns, thank you OP! Got to see this!

That looks so cool. I wish that would be live.

I see no reason why the nights shouldn't be like this.

Deleted
    That is so damn atmospheric! I really want that and weather effects like fog and rain storms.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand why they dont have it normally(tho I had zero problems) but it was really cool doing the scenario.

https://m.imgur.com/igMkxcI

I might have bad memories, but I remember Vanilla having proper nights?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    That looks so cool. I can't understand why they wouldn't introduce this into the game with the option to turn it off in the settings. Then again I'm thinking logically which Blizzard very often doesn't.
    All the sources of lighting is murder on computers. It is the same reason mist and other effect are such a big drain. In an instanced setting with no combat that isn't an issues. As soon as you start adding in dozens of people all doing their own thing it is brutal on each machine and the server itself.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    And it's certainly very cool for a campaign, but imagine in a leveling zone with dozen of players, each one carrying it's lighing source (and spells), the night would look less immersive, no ?

And even if it's fun to have your armor set glowing in the night, what about players with very dark ones and no light source ? On the OP's second gif we can barely see his toon. Would you really like playing without seeing your character ?

Yeah I really wish night looked like that.

I also wish we had more lightning and rain in WoW. Would make the world feel more alive.