Thread: 2024 MLB thread

Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Trim the season by at least a month, expand the playoffs
    Why would you want the playoffs expanded? All that does is get a bunch of near .500 teams in. The NBA is having big issues with their regular season being considered pretty meaningless because so many teams just focus on the playoffs and know they'll already be in even if they half-ass the regular season, and their season is half as long as the baseball season. The #8 seed in the eastern conference in the NBA right now has a winning percentage that would be 69-93 over a 162 game season, you really want to see that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Why would you want the playoffs expanded? All that does is get a bunch of near .500 teams in. The NBA is having big issues with their regular season being considered pretty meaningless because so many teams just focus on the playoffs and know they'll already be in even if they half-ass the regular season, and their season is half as long as the baseball season. The #8 seed in the eastern conference in the NBA right now has a winning percentage that would be 69-93 over a 162 game season, you really want to see that?
    Because the casual viewers are more interested in meaningful games. I don't pay any attention to reg season NBA (RIP sonics) but I watch the shit out of the playoffs. I think that by shortening the season and loading the schedule with divisional games at the last month would make even the end of reg season meaningful. Plus it puts the last month into August when theres really no other sport going on in prime time. They could capitalize and market primetime baseball games to networks during that period.

NFL already sees .500 and even sub .500 teams make the playoffs. I don't see the big deal here and neither would owners honestly, which is why its being discussed right now. Sells tickets and gets more viewers.

Ironically it was just leaked that the NFL is considering expanding their playoffs. So they see the market as well.

loading the schedule with divisional games at the last month would make even the end of reg season meaningful.
    MLB already schedules the last 2 weeks or so with mostly divisional games (because of the 15/15 split though there is now 1 interleague game per day).

10+ Year Old Account
    Chris Sale hurt his elbow and is getting his MRI examined by James Andrews & Neal ElAttrache which is bad news when you're consulting the sports world's leading experts on ligament-replacement and tommy john surgery.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the Mariners are gonna start the season in Peoria due to the coronavirus outbreak in Seattle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yankees unanimously vote to remain at their spring training facility.
    First covid-19 case in baseball is a Yankee minor leaguer, ruh roh.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Sale having TJ surgery, these non-surgical treatments never seem to work and mostly just delay the inevitable.
    /s

Because the casual viewers are more interested in meaningful games. I don't pay any attention to reg season NBA (RIP sonics) but I watch the shit out of the playoffs. I think that by shortening the season and loading the schedule with divisional games at the last month would make even the end of reg season meaningful. Plus it puts the last month into August when theres really no other sport going on in prime time. They could capitalize and market primetime baseball games to networks during that period.

NFL already sees .500 and even sub .500 teams make the playoffs. I don't see the big deal here and neither would owners honestly, which is why its being discussed right now. Sells tickets and gets more viewers.

Ironically it was just leaked that the NFL is considering expanding their playoffs. So they see the market as well.
    Expanding the playoffs is a big negative these days.

We're starting to see NBA players take many days off, not because they are injured, but for "load management" to not wear down. It sends a bad message that the regular season means nothing (and it doesn't really when you have so many playoff teams). It also makes fans very angry because they spend huge money to buy tickets to a game and then the stars don't even play. The NBA is struggling with this issue already. If you expand the MLB playoffs, you'll run into that issue as well in MLB, with baseball players maybe taking weeks off at a time because it no longer matters.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    MLBPA have given up negotiating with ownership who just keep offering the same proposal but with fewer games. Now its left to MLB and the commissioner to set the schedule and start date for players to report.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess because he was determined to remind everyone he is the biggest piece of shit in the sport, Joe West went off on a covid conspiracy theory rant. So take that Angel Hernandez, there's still one umpire worse than you.
    /s

Canada is forbidding the Blue Jays from playing home games in Toronto because MLB is not doing a bubble or hub cities or isolating their players and Canada's like, "Fuck nah, we're not letting Americans come in every week to spread COVID."

So the Blue Jays might be playing their home games (and living) in Buffalo. First time professional baseball might come to Buffalo since the Federal League.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    So the Blue Jays might be playing their home games (and living) in Buffalo. First time professional baseball might come to Buffalo since the Federal League.
    Hope it works out that way, there was some concern about the stadium lighting that can't possibly be remedied in time. The alternative site is in FLA and I doubt anybody wants to spend more time there than they have to.

Also I'm watching live baseball right now, its nothing exciting, Pirates/Indians but its live sports and I'm watching it, which is good enough. Maybe I'll check on the other games too.

- - - Updated - - -

Blue Jays players are expressing their preference to play in a MLB stadium, though I don't know where they would find one. Most of them are occupied or demolished, I think RFK is still standing but I have no clue what kind of condition its in.
    /s

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Hope it works out that way, there was some concern about the stadium lighting that can't possibly be remedied in time. The alternative site is in FLA and I doubt anybody wants to spend more time there than they have to.

Also I'm watching live baseball right now, its nothing exciting, Pirates/Indians but its live sports and I'm watching it, which is good enough. Maybe I'll check on the other games too.

- - - Updated - - -

Blue Jays players are expressing their preference to play in a MLB stadium, though I don't know where they would find one. Most of them are occupied or demolished, I think RFK is still standing but I have no clue what kind of condition its in.
    Really, the only other still standing MLB capable stadium is Olympic Stadium in Montreal, and well, Quebec is a bigger shit show for COVID cases than Ontario is.

Their only options are really Buffalo and Dunedin, Florida. And if I had to pick personally, it would be Buffalo. Florida is a fucking shit show that can't get it's act together and has three times as many cases as Canada does nationally with 14 million less people.

Rumor on Twitter now is they're considering PNC Park but......how are you gonna schedule Pirates and Blue Jays games there? 120 games in, what, 3 months? Is it even possible? When is this season supposed to go to?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling they are gonna have to settle for a minor league venue. Camera angles will be ass, but not like there is a crop of empty MLB stadiums.

10+ Year Old Account
    We all hoped Mookie Betts wouldn't be a one year (60 game) rental, and now its allllll coming together, reports are 13 year ~$380 million extension. Kind of a big risk given the uncertain economic future, but it will be fun.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    We all hoped Mookie Betts wouldn't be a one year (60 game) rental, and now its allllll coming together, reports are 13 year ~$380 million extension. Kind of a big risk given the uncertain economic future, but it will be fun.
    Seems like kind of an underpay for him. It's not a lot more than Harper got, and Betts has been significantly better and more consistent the last 4 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    12 years $365 million, with $27m this year, a total of 13 years $392 million. Basically he got the length of Harper's deal with the AAV of Machado's. He had previously rejected an extension from Boston believed to be on par with Machado's 10 year $300 million deal.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, first game of the year and Angel Hernandez is here to ruin it.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Seems like kind of an underpay for him. It's not a lot more than Harper got, and Betts has been significantly better and more consistent the last 4 years.
    Betts is the kind of hitter that develops holes in his swing as he approaches 30 and becomes drastically less effective. The Red Sox were wise to deal him. It might work out but the odds are that contract the Dodgers gave him will be a monumental disaster.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.