Hard drive question

I have a noob hard drive question. I have an MSI laptop gaming machine and I want to replace the hard drive. One of my hard drives is shitting the bed. I had the common issue of my game randomly freezing for 2-3 seconds and when I moved WoW over to my other hard drive it fixed the issue. This issue also occurs for other games installed on this drive. Essentially, I want to replace my shitty hard drive. I noticed the deal on the front page and looking into purchasing that. My question is, are hard drives universal? Can I simply just pop the old one out,pop this one in and go about my day. Also, are desktop and laptop drives interchangeable or are there specific hard drives made for each system? I don't want to buy this then have it be not compatible and eat the money.

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    What laptop do you have ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Most laptops use 2.5 inch HDD's or m.2 versions, regular 3.5 inch desktop HDD's wont work so if you provide your specific model we can help you better.

MSI GT Series GT70 Dominator Dragon gaming laptop. Scratch the front page one. I want an internal SSD because the performance seems so much better than HDD. Any recommendations?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucy View Post
    MSI GT Series GT70 Dominator Dragon gaming laptop. Scratch the front page one. I want an internal SSD because the performance seems so much better than HDD. Any recommendations?
    I see two versions, one with a Blu-ray drive and SSD, and one with a DVD drive and 1TB HDD.

If you have the SSD model, I'd stick with that tech as you're going to be disappointed with a mechanical drive and are used to the performance and space.

If you have the 1TB HDD model, you're likely used to having that much space and should be prepared for having to use an external to install a majority of your software to if you go the SSD route depending on your budget.

As @Denpepe said, any 2.5" SATA 3 SSD will work and dazzle you with its speed even if it's just for your OS and 1-2 games. I'd put WoW on it, loading times will be phenomenally faster.

Pretty much all SSD's are equal, except some 840 EVO's pre a certain firmware update.

Just look for one on sale.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-04-26 at 02:13 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

A solid state drive that will perform much better than a 2.5" hard drive?

Literally any of them.

You hit diminishing returns hard with SSD prices; the high-end SSDs are indeed faster than budget models but not in a way that will likely be noticeable to you at all. Power draw does vary as well, though will also certainly be better than the hard drive.

MSI's page for your laptop somewhat confusingly lists "Up to 384GB Super RAID 2 + 750GB HDD 7200rpm" as the available drive configuration. Any 2.5" drive should fit the SATA ports. If you're looking for an inexpensive SSD with a capacity similar to the drive you have, you could go with the 960GB Mushkin Reactor.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2017-04-26 at 01:41 PM.
    Super casual.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16822179111

My suggestion. Unless you can afford a 1tb SSD, this is the next best thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    SSD is a must, especially for a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    SSD is a must, especially for a laptop.
    Most laptops only have one slot for a 2.5" drive. Most people have more games than would fit on a SSD boot drive, unless he can drop 3 large on a 1tb the hybrid drive linked above is best choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Most laptops only have one slot for a 2.5" drive. Most people have more games than would fit on a SSD boot drive, unless he can drop 3 large on a 1tb the hybrid drive linked above is best choice.
    Well that's true if you are playing on a laptop.

I just have a small SSD on my laptop, use cloud for pretty much everything.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Well yes lol. As the OP said he plays games on his laptop. Given its a decent model from a few years ago, its probably his only gaming PC atm.

Thats what Chromebooks are for...

and the post clearly states he's playing on a Laptop. Mind, it is one that appears to have two drive bays, so he should be good to go.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Thats what Chromebooks are for...
    Well it is a Chromebook, but I run Linux on it.

Cheap, slim and fast with great battery life. Although the battery life is better on ChromeOS (8 hours of Netflix) than Linux (5 hours of Netflix) for some reason, I should dig deeper to find out the cause.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2017-04-26 at 08:04 PM.