Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

[New Game] Outward - RPG March 26th

Hi all

I only discovered this game as it was in PC Gamer this month - anyone else interested? It looks quite good, if a touch difficult (limited inventory, weapons degrade over time, lots of walking/running). The PC Gamer article is below. It's from the guys at Deep Silver, who have made some good RPG's in the past.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/outward-rpg-preview/

Quote Originally Posted by Raelyn View Post
    Hi all

I only discovered this game as it was in PC Gamer this month - anyone else interested? It looks quite good, if a touch difficult (limited inventory, weapons degrade over time, lots of walking/running). The PC Gamer article is below. It's from the guys at Deep Silver, who have made some good RPG's in the past.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/outward-rpg-preview/
    Never heard of it. Sounds interesting, but I don't know if people will leave it frustrated if they don't progress enough. Even in Dark Souls, you kept getting better

Got about 10 hours in this game with my friend.
    It is really fun, real strong sense of exploration and adventure with light survival elements that are welcomed yet not overbearing, the fact that regions can change seasons also helps things feel fresh and fun. Dungeons are a joy to do with your friend as well, combat is fluid and souls-like.

Good game recommend it to anyone especially if you have a buddy to play with.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Been bombareded with adds for the game and was curious as I'm an RPG junkie.

Gave it a shot for the last 2 days and all I can say is.. the game is.. weird. Really weird. It's like someone mixed the awkwardness of the Gothic games with a pinch of dark souls and the unholy taint of ARMA inventory managment. It's like someone made an RPG and only focused on some of the mechanics and kept everything else bare bones. Due to the open world nature and the fact that I like casters the game turned into one giant corpse run simulator (fuck those deers.. ) for me, since to play the way I want I had to go through some stupidly convoluted process of unlocking mana to just get started in that direction. After that the next step is to get to some other city and I can't help but feel that all the zones are made for higher level characters, yet there is no way to level up. You only get skills but no stats (outside of buffs and armor).

I really like how the systems are less formulaic, but sadly the story is utterly forgettable and after I managed to grind myself the spells and skills I wanted I took a look towards the wiki and found that I pretty much already have everything I can get with one or two exceptions. The lack of character progression/enhancement kind of annoys me, as it feels like even the easy shit keeps being a nuisance to the end. I essentially just ground out my charcter so far and still haven't done the main quest, mostly because all 3 of the factions seem so utterly unlikeable.
    We have the clan-law fashistic communists, the religious nutters and a desert kingdom of questionable morals (even though the wiki paints them as super progressive for some reason). I can't help but feel annoyed by all 3 of them. Since my time with each of the 3 characters that introduce you to those factions is extremly limited I don't really feel a connection to either.

Overall the game is strangely compelling, but also really, really weird. I think I just like the skill system and messing around with different builds. Anyone else playing? What factions did you guys pick? I would recommend it in a sale. 40€ was a bit much for the quality of the game, 20-30€ seens to be more reasonable in my opinion.